• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken P

At the age of 57 I have recently applied to become a Network Rail signaller!

I have (last week) completed and passed my assessment in the top five and am currently awaiting a notification of interview.

I am thinking that they wouldn't have progressed me to this stage if my age was going to be a limiting factor in actually getting the job, but I would be interested in anyone's views especially from those who have been in the same/similar situation.

I can't remember being as excited about the possibility of a change of career ever.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I didn't join until I was 55. They like us oldies as we have more maturity, life experience and are often more practical. Only "problem" I found was getting back into the learning system again at Signalling School.

8d3

Hello, I had an assessment over a month ago, apart from an email saying that I passed the assessment I haven't heard anything.

It says 'Application under consideration for assessment 2' when I log in to the Network Rail' site. Is it fairly usual to not hear anything for so long after an assessment?

Bubble-woop

Yup took me 3 months from passing assessment to having my first interview, waited about 10 weeks for the interview date!

I started signalling school in a class of 12 and was in the bottom 3 for age... and I was 28 at the time! Oldest was 55 I think

TomBoyd

Age is totally irrelevant. If you can do the job you can do the job.

Good luck with the interview, and be patient. Could be a while.

Ken P

Cheers guys!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Update:

I have just received an interview invite for the end of the month!!!

magillmagic

Hi Ken, I applied to become a Signaller on 10/04/2016, I went through the lengthy process of the assessment day and then the interview, then on Friday 15/07/2016 the status on my Network Rail log in finally to 'Formal Offer in progress'.
I haven't heard anything from anybody officially, but I'm assuming I've got the job and that I am now waiting for paperwork and a medical date. I'm 38 years of age, but if age is what you are worried about, don't, a friend of mine aged 53 applied 3 months before me, he has now completed his training and is live in his Signal Box. It really comes down to your suitability to the role, now how old you are. Cheers

Ken P

It is a long, drawn out process......that in itself is probably part of the selection!!!

Good luck with yours!

rick2678

At the age of 57 I have recently applied to become a Network Rail signaller!

I have (last week) completed and passed my assessment in the top five and am currently awaiting a notification of interview.

I am thinking that they wouldn't have progressed me to this stage if my age was going to be a limiting factor in actually getting the job, but I would be interested in anyone's views especially from those who have been in the same/similar situation.

I can't remember being as excited about the possibility of a change of career ever.
hi ken, first off well done pal. i hope u get on. just wondered where u seen the job advertised. im 45 and trying to get into rail industry but finding it hard where these good jobs are advertised. i think they come and go very fast. ant help would be great. Thanks Rick.

Ken P

UPDATE:

Today I got 'the' call! I have been offered the position subject to passing the medical and will be going to signalling school in York sometime in October!!!!

Validation

UPDATE:

Today I got 'the' call! I have been offered the position subject to passing the medical and will be going to signalling school in York sometime in October!!!!

Congratulations Ken! I too got my offer of employment for Signaller yesterday, so may see you in York. Enjoy your new career and that short commute to work :D

8d3

Hey, can I ask when you first applied for the post? I'm just wondering how long the process has taken.

I've applied for a couple of posts, I applied for the first one in April and another post in June. I did the assessment over 2 months ago so I am eagerly waiting to hear if I have an interview or not.

Ken P

Hey, can I ask when you first applied for the post? I'm just wondering how long the process has taken.

I've applied for a couple of posts, I applied for the first one in April and another post in June. I did the assessment over 2 months ago so I am eagerly waiting to hear if I have an interview or not.

I applied for this post back in May/June. From reading through threads on here though, I would suggest that the time scales differ.
Congratulations Ken! I too got my offer of employment for Signaller yesterday, so may see you in York. Enjoy your new career and that short commute to work :D

See you there! I'm off (hopefully) on October 3rd.:lol:

Last edited:
I've got my medical next week so it would be nice to get on the october course. providing my current manager is kind and releases me quickly!!:lol::lol:

Validation

I've been informed of a potential course date of October the 10th, could have been on next months, but business needs in another area of Network Rail prevent me from leaving so early!

Hope to see some of you there :D

Status
Not open for further replies.