• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single-track station on double-track railway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishwomp

No, both Corby and Malton are double tracked through the station. The OP is asking for examples where the whole line is singled though a station.
Malton is as good as single track: nothing uses the other. A track that isn't used is rather similar to it not existing at all.

There are some light engine paths that do not stop but they don't run at all since the 68s finished, probably didn't run often before that either.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You could argue that the deep level Merseyrail Loop line is an extended version of a double-single-double layout, with 3 stations on the single track section.
The single track leaves the double track at James St and rejoins it two miles later with Moorfields/Lime St/Central platforms en route.

snowball

Established Member
Dore & Totley, although that will change soon.
Surely that doesn't count as the OP intended. If you go through from Manchester towards Sheffield, the track reduces to single before the station, but does not return to double after the station, unless you include the MML.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I also seem to remember Princes Risborough only having one platform a decade or so ago.
Technically it had two, with a bay as well as the single through platform.
The second through platform at Princes Risborough was reinstated some 25 years ago, in 1998.

And in any case you could argue it doesn’t meet the requirements for the thread as it was not a single through platform on a double track line, but only ended up like this when the line was rationalised to make it single track between a point just south of Princes Risborough (save for a rather pointless loop just off the platform at Princes Risborough and another one at Bicester North).

PyrahnaRanger

Maryport doesn’t become a single line either, although trains in both directions do use the same platform - the Carlisle->Barrow line continues through on the east side of signal box, while the line in the Barrow->Carlisle direction continues through to the west of the signal box. Trains in either direction divert off to the single platform though, so not sure if this satisfies OPs requirements? Not sure if it’s supposed to happen, but you’ll quite often have a Barrow bound train have to wait for a Carlisle one to clear the station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I understand that the second platform is being reinstated.

Dunbar was two platforms on the main line then the down platform abandoned and then reinstated.
Hartlepool second platform reinstatement is almost complete. But the track there isn’t singled. Was it ever?

The tracks through Dunbar were not singled. Are we getting away from the original question now?

D6975

Established Member
Ulceby isn't single track through the station. It's double track but only has a platform on the East side. Northbound trains run wrong line for a short distance to access the platform.

Marton

Hartlepool second platform reinstatement is almost complete. But the track there isn’t singled. Was it ever?
It’s actually the third platform. Platform 1 is a bay used on Sundays for the Darlington service.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s actually the third platform. Platform 1 is a bay used on Sundays for the Darlington service.
2nd through platform then… :D Doesn’t affect the fact that it’s not what the OP was actually asking after…

Ayrshire Roy

And West Kilbride! Which are an unusual situation in regard to the OP's question, as although there is double track through both one-platform stations, only one line is electrified and used by passenger trains.
Are the two lines there not classed as two separate branches that run side by side, one to Hunterston and one to Largs?

domcoop7

Would the likes of Orsmkirk and formerly Kirkby count? Double track right up to the station but single track bidirectional for the platform. At Ormskirk this is just for the Liverpool bound side, for the Preston side it's strictly a single line. Kirkby had two separate bidirectional lines for both directions. I'm not sure where the line on the Wigan side of Headbolt Lane (which is single track bidirectional with a token) splits back into two way running, but maybe that counts too?

Falcon1200

Established Member
Are the two lines there not classed as two separate branches that run side by side, one to Hunterston and one to Largs?

No; The electrified line is the Up and Down passenger line, and also carries Down freight trains, the non-electrified line is the Up freight line. Since the demise of Ravenscraig and Hunterston however the freight capacity is hardly used!

There have been calls locally for half-hourly trains to Largs, which would be great, but would require a lot of investment; Electrifying the Up freight line and rebuilding the Up platforms at West Kilbride and Ardrossan Sourth Beach.

_toommm_

Established Member
Ulceby isn't single track through the station. It's double track but only has a platform on the East side. Northbound trains run wrong line for a short distance to access the platform.

From re-reading the original post, it seems I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought the question was a single-platform station on a double track.

Krokodil

Established Member
You could argue that the deep level Merseyrail Loop line is an extended version of a double-single-double layout, with 3 stations on the single track section.
The single track leaves the double track at James St and rejoins it two miles later with Moorfields/Lime St/Central platforms en route.
Everything is going in the same direction though.

Pontypridd has an interesting history, it had a total of seven platform faces on the same island. Post Beeching only one platform remained in use along with a goods line . By the eighties that single platform was handling more traffic than the rest used to between them so it was decided to build a new platform - not reinstate one of the six disused ones but build a new platform on the goods line. It was cheaper to do that than to remodel the track layout.

DesiroUK

I have a mate who lives near Ware station and I believe the story for the current arrangements dates back to when the line was built and whoever owned the road over which the line crosses via a level crossing immediately to the north of the station would only allow one track to cross the road.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It would appear that there are no examples of what the OP is asking for. Navigation Road is probably the closest match (if you ignore the Metrolink).

androdas

Bedlington in its original form, The colliery was opposite so prevented a second platform on the main line, it did have a bay facing Ashington / Newbiggin, so had more than one platform just not on the through lines. Its currently being rebuilt for reopening as a more conventional 2 platform station and a car park is being constructed where the bay was.

Bedlington_Station_1777482_60ee0d3c.jpg

norbitonflyer

Established Member
It would appear that there are no examples of what the OP is asking for. Navigation Road is probably the closest match (if you ignore the Metrolink).
The Thameslink part of Wimbledon seems to fit. Double track on either side, but single track through the station, where both directions use platform 9. The opposite face is used by trams.

Railsigns

Established Member
Ware (post #10) is exactly what the OP asked for. A double track that reduces to single at the station, then goes back to double. No other complications such as junctions nearby or other lines running past the station.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ware (post #10) is exactly what the OP asked for. A double track that reduces to single at the station, then goes back to double. No other complications such as junctions nearby or other lines running past the station.
Oh I missed that one. Thought we were going to have a rare example of a trivia thread with no valid answers!

DesiroUK

Strictly speaking, if what my mate in Ware told me is correct, then Ware is not single track as a result of "physical constraints or so that passengers don't have to cross the line" but rather as a result of landowner agreements, and thus does not fulfill the OP's requirements.

scrapy

Established Member
Earlestown (when going Liverpool LS to Warrington BQ and vice versa) and Shipley (when going Skipton to Bradford FS and vice versa) the line goes from double through the station to a single bi directional line then back to double.

Krokodil

Established Member
Strictly speaking, if what my mate in Ware told me is correct, then Ware is not single track as a result of "physical constraints or so that passengers don't have to cross the line" but rather as a result of landowner agreements, and thus does not fulfill the OP's requirements.
That sounds like a constraint to me.

greyman42

Established Member
Might there be a station on the York to Harrogate line which meets the criteria?

_toommm_

Established Member
Unless mistaken, all the stations between York and Harrogate still have double platforms in regular use.

I concur, as someone who lives on the doorstep of the line. There are single track sections, but no stations with just one platform.