Sittingbourne to Bletchley

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by youngpete, 18 Jun 2019.

1. youngpete

youngpete Member

I want to travel from Sittingbourne to Bletchley and back, going one way via Bedford and returning via the WCML to Euston.

The only ticket I can get to Bletchley seems to be via the WCML, a Off Peak Return, Restriction JK, with BoJ permitted for £30.35 with a railcard.

However if I make the journey to Fenny Stratford instead I am offered itineraries both ways for the same fare and same restrictions and BoJ permitted.

Presumably then I could buy this ticket and break my journey at Bletchley. I am aware of the time restrictions that are in place for the offered ticket.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

A Sittingbourne to Bedford ticket is valid via Bletchley as well as via the Midland Mainline via Luton.

4. Silverdale

Silverdale Member

But whether Bedford or Fenny is the best value depends if you are looking for an Off-Peak return or an Off-Peak Day return.

As the OP seems to be looking for an Off-Peak Day return, the Fenny option looks best.

5. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

If it's a day return then the Bedford option is the cheapest. I struggle to see how the Fenny option would be better under any circumstances, as the break of journey would appear to be during the return leg anyway.

6. Silverdale

Silverdale Member

Apologies to the OP. Clearly I'm missing something here.

The fare the OP is considering is the Off-Peak Day return to Fenny Stratford. £30.35, with railcard. Off-Peak Day return to Bedford is £31.95.

7. Haywain

Off Peak Day Return to Bedford route 'Not valid on HS1' is £29.95.

8. Silverdale

Silverdale Member

Apologies again.

When you suggested the Fenny fare (which is valid via HS1) would not be better in any circumstances, I imagined you meant in comparison with the Any Permitted Bedford fare.

If the OP is happy not to use the faster route, they can indeed save 40p by purchasing the Bedford ticket.

9. Haywain

No need to apologise, but it does depend what the OP wants. I simply compared cheapest equivalent fares.