• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skelton Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

apk55

A useful guide to the railways around Altrincham is the book "The Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway" By Frank Dixon published by Oakwood Press. (A search on Amazon indicated copies are available.)
Originally just north of Altrincham station was a two track level crossing where the current footbridge is located. It also had a footbridge for pedestrians and caused great chaos as both the railway and road were very busy. The two bay lines joined the Chester lines just before this level crossing. North of the level crossing there were two loops which extended to just before Navigation Road. There was also an engine shed where Ambassador place is now, but this closed when the line was electrified in 1931. In 1971 the woodlands parkway flyover was built and level crossing was closed although a level pedestrian crossing remained open until about 1991 as the foot bridge was very high with steep steps to clear the overhead wires which were at maximum hight because of the level crossing.
In 1991 in preparation for Metrolink the current arrangement was done with a four track footbridge at a much lower hight. There is a very rusty connection between between the two rail system just north of this footbridge.
The loop at Skelton junction looks as if it still used and I know it was used for turning a steam train in the mid 2000's when a steam special was run from Altrincham to Chester

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
The goods loop at Deansgate Junction was recently brought back into use.

The stretch of line that goes straight ahead at Deansgate Junction is quite short. There is no track to Partington.

I well remember Altrincham in DC electric days and used the trains to get to and from school. What are now the bay platforms were through platforms, but beyond the station to the south these lines led to stabling sidings and sheds for the DC electric trains, under Goose Green bridge (which crosses nothing today). The shed for the DC electrics was the old Bowdon station, complete with cast iron pillars for the overall roof. This station closed early on, and 'Altrincham' station was renamed 'Altrincham & Bowden', becoming the terminus for the electric trains from Manchester.

At Sale, there was a siding between the up and down lines between Sale and Brooklands. This was used to house the 'Sale Set'; a DC electric train which worked an early morning train for commuters from Sale into Manchester.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
On the Altrincham line were the DC electrics of course, but also DMUs for Chester and the occasional steam push-pull train Manchester Central to Warrington Bank Quay via Timperley and Broadheath.

Small point of order.
The push-pull steam trains on the "Lymm" line (where I lived at the time) never went to Manchester Central.
They originally went to Oxford Road, then were cut back to Warwick Road while Oxford Road-Piccadilly was converted to 25kV around 1959-60.
They then reverted to Oxford Road (immediately ruining the new wooden roof!) until the whole service was withdrawn in 1963.
Manchester Central only ever hosted the CLC mid-Cheshire service.
The Lymm trains sometimes turned round at Timperley, connecting onwards by electric.
The route had one long-distance year-round passenger train - the Liverpool Lime St to York via Warrington BQ LL and Stockport Edgeley night mail.
I always wondered why there was no return service, but it seems it travelled via Leigh and St Helens westbound.

kermit

The goods loop at Deansgate Junction was recently brought back into use.

The stretch of line that goes straight ahead at Deansgate Junction is quite short. There is no track to Partington.

Various other sources have indicated that the route from Skelton Jct to Partington is still regarded as extant. How open or closed
does a route have to be to prompt "Proving Runs"??

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Various other sources have indicated that the route from Skelton Jct to Partington is still regarded as extant. How open or closed
does a route have to be to prompt "Proving Runs"??

I recently went to one of the overbridges that lead from Sinderland Road that is in the West Timperley to Partington section and I can confirm that all the track has been lifted.

As such, how can "Proving Runs" take place, unless the trackwork is reinstated.

Midlandman

I recently went to one of the overbridges that lead from Sinderland Road that is in the West Timperley to Partington section and I can confirm that all the track has been lifted.

Ah, that must have been fairly recent then, because it was still in place last time I went to the local tip along there, and it is still in place to just before the new overbridge near the supermarket (or it was at 2 o'clock this afternoon).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Ah, that must have been fairly recent then, because it was still in place last time I went to the local tip along there, and it is still in place to just before the new overbridge near the supermarket (or it was at 2 o'clock this afternoon).

I was not referring to the section that is not too far removed from the former West Timperley railway station, but to the area that is nearer to Partington that had farm overbridges.

kermit

Thanks for the last 3 contributions, this is fascinating (to me, anyway!). does anyone know where exactly the line now "ends"? Is this the work of NR, or scrap metal thieves?!?

Midlandman

The line now ends just on the Timperley side of the new overbridge next to a new Waitrose. I pass over the bridge fairly often and always look to see if the track is still there. The other day I realised that I could see the actual end of track. It looks kind of odd with no stop block or buffers, it's as if the owner of the world's largest Hornby set has been called downstairs for his tea while in the middle of tracklaying!

Greybeard33

Established Member
The line now ends just on the Timperley side of the new overbridge next to a new Waitrose. I pass over the bridge fairly often and always look to see if the track is still there. The other day I realised that I could see the actual end of track. It looks kind of odd with no stop block or buffers, it's as if the owner of the world's largest Hornby set has been called downstairs for his tea while in the middle of tracklaying!

The overbridge carries Turnbull Road, and is little more than a mile from Skelton Junction. Half a mile further west, the trackbed passes close by the new site of the Sinderland Lane Recycling Centre, where another overbridge was recently renovated to withstand the weight of the container lorries. It has struck me that, in a more rational world, the waste containers would be transported to and from this site by rail not road - particularly since they presumably go to the Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority Resource Recovery Centre at Sharston. This is only a few miles along the line and has its own private sidings!

kermit

Thanks again to all for detailed info. Time to reopen this line, I hope!

spargazer

This bridge is for two tracks to pass under and is to European loading gauge, that it was built about 2003. In 2005 a deforestation team in orange jackets pruned back all the overgrowth. A paper factory and a recycling / biomass power station at Partington is nearly finished and that they were supposed to have a rail link as part of the planning condtions.
The nearest postcode is WA14 5YH and the 100m grid ref is SJ760899
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why did Cinderland Crossing Signal Box get so named?

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
This bridge is for two tracks to pass under and is to European loading gauge
This point is interesting. Buried on Page 65 of the Network Rail Freight RUS is a map (Figure 6.4) that shows the "freight industry's aspirations" for future route clearance to European gauge (UIC GB+) from the Channel Tunnel Rail Link. This shows a route from London to Leeds via Crewe and Manchester, with a branch to Birmingham. The section between Crewe and Stockport leaves the WCML and follows the freight line through Middlewich to Northwich, then the Mid-Cheshire Line to Skelton Junction and via Northenden to Stockport. A reopened Partington branch could link this route to a future intermodal terminal on the Ship Canal.

European gauge is incompatible with UK platform height, and most of the stations on the Mid-Cheshire line have no space for avoiding lines, so presumably the clearance would involve lowering platforms to European height and introduction of special passenger rolling stock (tram-trains?) with extending steps. Presumably this is seen as a cheaper option than providing avoiding lines through all the stations on the double track WCML via Wilmslow and Cheadle Hulme.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half

"Proving Runs" would be keep the rails clean (vis. the Hartford Chord line).

As there aren't any rails to clean, no trains are required! The route is still shown as Open on Geogis as far as Partington from Skelton and there is a stub (of route) at the Glazebrook end.

Since the Skelton end was (IIRC) sequential track circuits, I doubt the signaller could now set a route?

spargazer

Re "Cinderland". The Signal box was named "Cinderland...I suspect that the builders at the time must have been illiterate, there is an image on flickr showing "the spelling".

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

I decided to access some old local authority archive materials today in a couple of spare hours and have come up with the following information:-

The area that was gradually reclaimed from the mossland that once existed there was given the name of Sinderland Green.

The names of the roadways (at least those that were named) that crossed this railway line, within the town boundaries of Altrincham were:-
Woodcote Road
Birch Road
Brookheys Road
Dunham Road
Sinderland Road

Greybeard33

Established Member
The names of the roadways (at least those that were named) that crossed this railway line, within the town boundaries of Altrincham were:-
Woodcote Road
Birch Road
Brookheys Road
Dunham Road
Sinderland Road
I believe here you are referring to the Skelton Junction to Partington line (originally part of the CLC Glazebrook to Stockport Tiviot Dale line), which runs parallel to Sinderland Road and Sinderland Lane for part of its length. However, Cinderland Crossing, as illustrated in the previous post, was on the Skelton Junction to Ditton Junction line (originally the Warrington and Altrincham Junction Railway), where that line (now part of the Trans-Pennine Trail) crossed Seamons Road adjacent to its junction with Dairyhouse Lane. Sinderland Road lies about 3/4 of a mile from here, at the other end of Dairyhouse Lane.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I believe here you are referring to the Skelton Junction to Partington line (originally part of the CLC Glazebrook to Stockport Tiviot Dale line), which runs parallel to Sinderland Road and Sinderland Lane for part of its length. However, Cinderland Crossing, as illustrated in the previous post, was on the Skelton Junction to Ditton Junction line (originally the Warrington and Altrincham Junction Railway

The problem here arose as any of the recent postings were in fact concerned with the line to Partington, as a review of these posts will show. It was the term "Cinderland" on one line when the term "Sinderland" is an area on another line...very close by to each other as you so rightly say...in the same geographical area of the borough of Altrincham. A rather amazing phoenetic conundrum..:D

As a matter of fact, I have used both these two lines (one via West Timperley station....the other via Broadheath station) in the distant past on the Closed Stations Journey quiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.