• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skipton Driver Depot -Northern

Lufcman

Can anyone advise how easy it is to get a qualified drivers position at Skipton. I am looking at relocating from London. What other Yorkshire depots would be easy to get in?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seehof

I cannot speak for Skipton but as a retired Northern driver who meets regularly with former colleagues, Leeds always seem to be recruiting. York is also recruiting at the moment.
Good Luck and welcome to Yorkshire.
Seehof (A Southener)

Lufcman

I cannot speak for Skipton but as a retired Northern driver who meets regularly with former colleagues, Leeds always seem to be recruiting. York is also recruiting at the moment.
Good Luck and welcome to Yorkshire.
Seehof (A Southener)
Many thanks. I am a northerner :)

SiTheTrainGuy

I applied when the last round of new driver jobs came up at Skipton (September last year). Currently on the new driver course based in Leeds. I haven’t spotted any qualified jobs for Northern recently, other than for Leeds depot.

Class2ldn

I believe they will let you apply for the trainee jobs that come up and you just need to stipulate you are qualified.
Dont know if that's changed, skipton is somewhere I'd be interested in eventually.
Lovely part of the country.

Lufcman

I applied when the last round of new driver jobs came up at Skipton (September last year). Currently on the new driver course based in Leeds. I haven’t spotted any qualified jobs for Northern recently, other than for Leeds depot.
Do you know the pay structure for qualifieds joining Northern?

Seehof

Why don’t you get in touch with Northern and ask them if there would an opening for a qualified driver? Seek their advice! I know someone who did just that (for a Manchester area TOC) and after about a month was rung up and called in for an interview! He got the job. Best of luck.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
SALARY: £23,576 per annum during training - approx. 12 months, Rising to £40,738 in Year 1, £44,952 in Year 2 and £54,500 in Year 3.
Wonderful, didn't answer th question though.

It's the Yr2 rate on entry for 12months, as a Qualified Driver

dugster70

Can anyone advise how easy it is to get a qualified drivers position at Skipton. I am looking at relocating from London. What other Yorkshire depots would be easy to get in?
Best bet is to apply for qualified driver at Leeds then put a transfer to Skipton in. A few are leaving Skipton shortly plus they need more for the supernumerary link too. Might be best to apply directly for Skipton and see what they say.