• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sleeper Services, twin berth on PRIV rate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLC1072

Me and my friend want to travel to Penzance from Paddington on the sleeper service, now only I have a TOC PRIV discount card as a new entrant.

My question is, can we book a PRIV single each way as a twin berth as it comes as one ticket?

This is what I got off of FRPP

"Sleeper Open tickets
The Sleeper Open range of products is primarily aimed at business customers. These products will be available for all berths on all departures. There is one price level for each of the three categories of accommodation, First, Standard Twin and Standard Solo. A Child discount of 50% and Privilege discount of 75% off is available (berths are subject to availability). No other Railcard discounts available.

Sleeper Solo Open – ticket type SAC

Sleeper Twin Open – ticket type SAB

Route: 00203 FGW SLEEPR&CONX"

and

"Railcards (including Staff Travel)
Normal railcard fares apply to travel tickets.

Privilege card-holders are entitled to a 75% discount from the most expensive Advance-inclusive package in each type of accommodation (see fares table). These tickets are quota controlled. If no Priv Advance tickets are available, a valid walk up ticket or travel pass is required in addition to the sleeper supplement.

No other railcard discounts apply to sleeper Advance-inclusive packages / berth supplements."

But no mention of who has to hold the PRIV rate discount card.

Tried ringing Paddington, Exeter and Plymouth and then FGW Telesales all to no avail on this subject...

Thanks!

NLC1072

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Both of you will need PRIVs to get the twin rate, of course!

Privilege card-holders are entitled to a 75% discount

You need 1 x PRIV Single and 1 x Public single. It may be cheaper to just buy a Public twin.

barrykas

Established Member

You need 1 x PRIV Single and 1 x Public single. It may be cheaper to just buy a Public twin.

It should be possible to "mix and match" a PRIV and an undiscounted ticket in one cabin...though it may take a little bit of fiddling in Journey Planner or a TIS (such as booking both berths separately) to "persuade" NRS to do so.

Cheers,

Barry

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

That is correct. I had a similar scenario 2 years ago and I phoned the pricing team at FGW for an answer, and they said that for a twin room at priv rate both passengers must have priv cards. It worked out cheaper to book a normal public twin room for the journey in my case.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What's the best option for staff travel on the Cornish Sleeper?

A berth inclusive ticket @ priv rate

or

Use a "box" and buy a berth reservation

First class

Established Member
What's the best option for staff travel on the Cornish Sleeper?

A berth inclusive ticket @ priv rate

or

Use a "box" and buy a berth reservation

Berth inclusive probably.

‘Solo Cabin – single bed with complimentary Volo TV service’ - £27.25.
‘Twin cabin for shared occupancy without Volo TV’ - £42.25
(Twin Advance fares are sold are per cabin, in multiples of 2 passengers – adults only)

£50 supplement for boxes, (or £70 for two people sharing).

For completeness,

EMBED_322380_02000001_large.gif

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Berth inclusive probably.

‘Solo Cabin – single bed with complimentary Volo TV service’ - £27.25.
‘Twin cabin for shared occupancy without Volo TV’ - £42.25
(Twin Advance fares are sold are per cabin, in multiples of 2 passengers – adults only)

£50 supplement for boxes, (or £70 for two people sharing).

For completeness,

EMBED_322380_02000001_large.gif

Cheers priv it is then. Saves a "box" also. It's the same on the Cal Sleeper cheaper to get a priv but it's amazing how many still use "boxes" and buy berth tickets.

34D

Established Member
Cheers priv it is then. Saves a "box" also. It's the same on the Cal Sleeper cheaper to get a priv but it's amazing how many still use "boxes" and buy berth tickets.

For the non-enthusiast staff, who get toc ID for their local services, boxes don't get as much use as you might envisage. I know one chap who was on a course for a week who used boxes and claimed petrol mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.