• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sleeper trains future

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Do you not get that now anyway, only in reverse with being pulled along by the Cl57 on the current sleeper trains?

Not that I was around when they were running the more I think of the sleeper service being within an DEMU set, the more I think that it maybe best to be similar to being like the old Blue Pullman Trains or even the current HST trains where the power whether it is electric or diesel are as separate locomotives which would I believe actually in the long term make it easier and cheaper to maintain.

You do indeed, which is what Sir Peter Houlsdon was getting at.

My feeling on the matter is that whatever is used to replace the current stock has got to be, to some extent, off the shelf. Otherwise we're going to be going back down the road of the 180s. If theres is bespoke stock, I can see a situation in 20 years where life extension is required, but where the stock ends up being scrapped because the costs are so prohibitive.

Whether that means using parts from current designs or larger elements, eg unpowered EMU trailer vehicles forming coaching stock, I dont know, but I think whatever solution is chosen must consider these whole of life costs. We don't want to be back in this situation in 20 years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I hope it was because they read my suggestions on here then! I think the fold-flat seating seen in first class on long haul flights would be ideal for standard, and that then allows for even nicer first class cabins.

Overall, you get many more people on the train.

As long as there are partitions to give a degree of privacy (as on a plane) then I think people would be fine with this. Certainly it's not a problem on flights. You can incorporate a TV (and Internet access, plus Wi-Fi) and then provide a bag with eye mask, ear plugs etc.

All sounds very sensible. Get all of these trains to come and go from Waterloo and it's job done!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.