• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smoking Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cannabis is illegal though, why should it be any different for tobacco?

Personally I'd be all in favour of legalising Cannabis as I don't think it should be illegal (in fact I'd be broadly in favour of widespread de-criminalisation of drugs in the same style as Portugal).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
If tabacco was discovered today probably would be banned but this is totally Irrelevant as that is not the case!
The point is that it would not be any more dangerous than it is now so why is it still legal if indeed it would be banned if it was discovered today?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Personally I'd be all in favour of legalising Cannabis as I don't think it should be illegal (in fact I'd be broadly in favour of widespread de-criminalisation of drugs in the same style as Portugal).
It was actually downgraded to class C but it didn't last long.

Last edited:

SWT_USER

If if if if... If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

I believe smoking rates are falling gradually as it is, why bring in needless legislation?

tempests1

The point is that it would not be any more dangerous than it is now so why is it still legal if indeed it would be banned if it was discovered today?

I don't know. Sadly I don't make the government policies we could do what if all day long but things are as they are!

David

Established Member

As long as we don't have the mish-mash of laws like it was in Holland back in 2000. It was legal to buy Cabbabis, but still illegal to smoke it! :shock: :?

Fortunately, the Dutch police were not too bad. As long as you wasn't making a prat of yourself, they would leave you alone.

deltic1989

Established Member
As long as we don't have the mish-mash of laws like it was in Holland back in 2000. It was legal to buy Cabbabis, but still illegal to smoke it! :shock: :?

Fortunately, the Dutch police were not too bad. As long as you wasn't making a prat of yourself, they would leave you alone.

I heard something funny about the Canabis laws in Holland a few weeksw ago. Apparently its (as we know) perfectly legal to buy the stuff in Holland, and its legal to consume it (either by smoking it or otherwise in so called "hash cafes" but in the afore mentioned establishments it is illegal to smoke tobacco so you cant roll your ganja into a doobie and smoke it with tobacco but you can smoke it straight in a reefer or bong. And on the streets the reverse is the case, its illegal to smoke canabis but legal to smoke tobacco.

As for this under the counter selling business, putting higher taxes on cigs didnt stop people, putting health warnings diddnt stop people so why do the government think that hiding the fags under the counter will improve things?

With the ban on smoking in pubs and other public places, the idea was to discurage young people from taking up the habit, but all they succeeded in doing was taking the smokers from a place the youngsters couldnt see them into plain veiw, harldy achieving thier aim. To illustrate this, in Lincoln there are at least 2 pubs withing walking distance of my place that are situated next to schools. A better idea would have been to hae a designated smoking room IMHO but i can see that there may have been issues with that.
I am a smoker and all i can say is it won't be the government with all these legislations that stop me it will be me in my own time, If you ask me these new rules will hardly make a difference.

Butts

Veteran Member
More research should be carried out as to why 50% of smokers don't die of smoking related illnesses.

Have they some genes that prevent the onset of smoking related ailments.

After taking account the cost of smoking to the health service, the amount never received in pensions etc the Government is still Billions in pocket out of the duty and vat which amounts to approximately 11 Billion per year.

There are over 10 Million Smokers which is a huge "minority" of the adult population in The UK. This is despite the clear message that smoking CAN damage your health. I don't think any smoker could with any credence claim to be unaware of the risks involved.:lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I do think a lot of people have tried to give up, and many have succeeded, since the smoking ban came in. Many pubs aren't swamped with people outside, so at best they've cut down.

I know people who saw this as an opportunity to finally give up, and even if it wasn't for health reasons, it's clearly going to be good for your wallet. Now drink is getting more expensive, that will pose a real risk to the rest of the pubs - as many now seek to concentrate on food. Nice profit margins on food, as there's no big chunk taken out as tax.

Fine if you want to go out for a drink and food, but it's getting harder to go out to simply drink and maybe make do with crisps and a kebab on the way home!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Smoking can and does kill you. It causes 84% of deaths from lung cancer and 83% of deaths from COPD.

This is the main reason why people don't smoke:
lungs.jpg

Zoe

Established Member
things are as they are!
If people just say that and don't question it then it's likely nothing will ever change. There is no doubt that smoking kills and given that it would most likely never be legal if it was discovered today there's no good reason to continue to permit its sale.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
If people just say that and don't question it then it's likely nothing will ever change. There is no doubt that smoking kills and given that it would most likely never be legal if it was discovered today there's no good reason to continue to permit its sale.

It definatly kills. It also rakes inaround £12 Billion in the very high taxes placed upon them.

I dont think any govt has the balls to ban it either as then alcohol would have to follow and the country would fall into anarchy - from young binge drinkers to middle aged wine drinking women to the guys who love to smoke a shisha pipe, every one would rise as one.

It would probably be the biggest thing to ever happen to the country.

And then get blamed on football fans.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is no doubt that smoking kills and given that it would most likely never be legal if it was discovered today there's no good reason to continue to permit its sale.

People know the risks of smoking so if they want to take the decision to run those risks anyway what business is it of anyone else?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Why would banning cigarettes automatically mean alcohol has to be banned too?

I am quite happy to let people make up their own mind. However, I'd quite like to see the continuation of rules that stop people smoking beside me. But if they wish to smoke, they can. Someone else drinking doesn't directly affect me (unless they start fighting me!) so that's a lot different.

Clip

Established Member
Why would banning cigarettes automatically mean alcohol has to be banned too?

I am quite happy to let people make up their own mind. However, I'd quite like to see the continuation of rules that stop people smoking beside me. But if they wish to smoke, they can. Someone else drinking doesn't directly affect me (unless they start fighting me!) so that's a lot different.

Booze related deaths and ill health problems(not to mention what happens when people get drunk and fight) are just as massive as smoking so why not both of them?

And why not stop there - being overweight kills people too so lets get people to stop being fat and ban all fatty foods.

Or we could just carry on as we are where people seem happy to be allowed to do pretty much what they want.

David

Established Member
Here's a novel thought, let people be responsible for their own actions ....

jon0844

Veteran Member
Booze related deaths and ill health problems(not to mention what happens when people get drunk and fight) are just as massive as smoking so why not both of them?

And why not stop there - being overweight kills people too so lets get people to stop being fat and ban all fatty foods.

Or we could just carry on as we are where people seem happy to be allowed to do pretty much what they want.

I'm agreeing to leave things as they are, but don't automatically think that one thing has to lead to another.

Clip

Established Member
yeah the little wink at the end didnt quite make it clear... sorry ;)

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
As prohibition in America showed, if you ban a popular product, people will still get around it, usually criminal gangs take over its distribution.

So for the same reasons you could support the legalisation of drugs ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

tempests1

I think you might slightly be missing my point, I don't have strong feelings either way to ban or not to ban. All I saying is people are aware of the health problems that could result from smoking but it is up to them whether they are prepared to take the risk knowing all the facts. But Zoe you are just one person like we all are and it to an extent it doesn't matter what we think as we don't make the rules and laws in this country. So maybe we should come back and discuss you're above points if and when a smoking law is proposed and talk about an actual thing that would and could happen as we are just talking hypothetically at the present time. You obviously feel strongly about the subject. I think it's good to have people such as yourself who are prepared to stand by what they feel.

Zoe

Established Member
it doesn't matter what we think as we don't make the rules and laws in this country.
In Britain governments are accountable to the people and if the people take that attitude then it just gives them licence to do what they want without consequence. It's also not a case of just waiting for the government to propose a ban as I doubt they ever will if no-one wants it.

Last edited:

Zoe

Established Member
I follow the consensus that people can do as they wish, it's just that they have to take responsibility for it!
How many people though continue to smoke out of choice and not addiction?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I thought we already had that debate and you didn't support it? Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Perhaps you are. AFAIK I have never stated that I am against it, I do believe I have put forward in the past the case for the legalisation of marijuana.

Status
Not open for further replies.