• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smoking on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
Saturday night, boarded an overcrowded train, people were rammed solid along the aisle and in the space outside the toilet at the end of the carriage. A lad was sitting in the priority seat opposite the toilet blatantly smoking. No one was saying anything, and in any case it was impossible for a member of train crew to have got anywhere near due to the volume of people. Managed to get off at my destination and reported it to the first member of staff I saw on the platform, indicating where and which carriage he was sitting. Whether anything was done I don’t know, and didn’t think of it at the time, but would reporting it on 61016 have been a better option?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bluejays

I'd say 61016 would be a good option. Sometimes can get lucky if police are already at a station further down the line. Always think there's a good chance of someone like that getting involved in something more serious later on aswell.

Slightly ot, but I actually had cause to be very thankful for previous reports about someone a few years ago. CCTV alone made me look like aggressor/equally responsible. But a report that had been texted in by a third party prior to the incident backed up my version of events

Master29

Established Member
I'd say 61016 would be a good option. Sometimes can get lucky if police are already at a station further down the line. Always think there's a good chance of someone like that getting involved in something more serious later on aswell.

Slightly ot, but I actually had cause to be very thankful for previous reports about someone a few years ago. CCTV alone made me look like aggressor/equally responsible. But a report that had been texted in by a third party prior to the incident backed up my version of events
That's probably true as if they're smoking on a train they`re clearly in a mood to antagonize.

Master29

Established Member
I wouldn't bother reporting someone having a cigarette on the train. Just one of those things.
Fine if that's your view but I`d tell them. I have done before. I don't want to sit or stand on a train with that. I take your point though that more than likely nothing will get done

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'd mind my own business if it were me personally, but I suppose you could have texted 61016 if you wanted. They don't tend to leave you alone after that though. Every five minutes they text asking to phone, long after anything can be done.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Suppose you could just ask them if they mind putting it out. If they say no, they say no, not much you can do. But they may just be blissfully ignorant rather than antagonistic and give a half apology they don't really mean, but put it out.

I don't condone it, smoking and vaping on trains (and in fact, any indoor public space) are a bugbare of mine. But realistically, there's nothing you can do about it, and it's really not something worth having a confrontation over

Further to this, and again, don't condone it but you have to pick your battles...if (when I'm in uniform) I see someone/a group smoking on platforms under the canopy/near other passengers, I'll generally go up to them and tell them it's a no smoking station and they can't smoke here. But, I also tell them that unfortunately my eyesight isn't that good, and if they happened to walk to the end of the platform, out from under the canopy (and thus in to the open air) and away from others, I probably wouldn't be able to see them and what I can't see I can't stop. So off they trot down to the end, out of the way, to finish their ciggy.

Shouldn't happen, but, pick your battles

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Life's a lot easier when you just decide some things don't bother you so much. Yes, smoking on a train is not nice at all. But so what? I'm not going to rat a smoker out to the police.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In general I would tell a smoker to stop smoking, unless I felt worried for my safety if I did. It's totally unacceptable.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've only ever reported a group of lads smoking on a train once - years ago (whilst 377s were still operating most Bedford-Brighton services) they were blocking the way between me and my nearest exit (at one end of the train), and using the fabric seats as an ashtray. Much as it was unpleasant, my main reason for texting 61016 was the fire risk and lack of options for me/a few other passengers to escape.

Master29

Established Member
Life's a lot easier when you just decide some things don't bother you so much. Yes, smoking on a train is not nice at all. But so what? I'm not going to rat a smoker out to the police.
For some with a lung complaint it might be serious enough to cause severe problems but so what, at least you didn't rat on them.

E27007

It is the British cultural attitude, no-one will say anything to the smoker, we are simply too polite and avoidant of confrontation. An American would have few reservations!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It is the British cultural attitude, no-one will say anything to the smoker, we are simply too polite and avoidant of confrontation. An American would have few reservations!
Not so much that, it's just most people are (quite rightly) averse to needless confrontation.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
For some with a lung complaint it might be serious enough to cause severe problems but so what, at least you didn't rat on them.
You aren't remotely concerned about that, you "ratted" a smoker (your words) to the police because you "don't want to sit or stand on a train with that".

Not so much that, it's just most people are (quite rightly) averse to needless confrontation.
The most British thing is making it a crime and people thinking they should call the police.

Tevion539

IMHO any from of smoking, whether that be cigarettes or vaping is unacceptable. As a non smoker myself, I do not wish to inhale others nicotine. Not only is smoking illegal, it's extremely inconsiderate and inappropriate.

Master29

Established Member
You aren't remotely concerned about that, you "ratted" a smoker (your words) to the police because you "don't want to sit or stand on a train with that".
How do you know whether or not I`m concerned about that or not. I think it's disgusting and confrontational to smoke in a situation where it is clearly inappropriate to do so. Good luck with your " one of the lads" style not ratting someone out logic.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
How do you know whether or not I`m concerned about that or not. I think it's disgusting and confrontational to smoke in a situation where it is clearly inappropriate to do so. Good luck with your " one of the lads" style not ratting someone out logic.
It's not about being one of the lads, it's that I wouldn't waste my energy and time on such a minor issue. I would just walk away and not let it bother me; smoking is only confrontational when you decide to confront someone about it. We can leave it to the real heroes - people who text 61016; the true glue of society.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Whether it's a minor issue or not is subjective; to me it certainly isn't minor!

IMHO any from of smoking, whether that be cigarettes or vaping is unacceptable. As a non smoker myself, I do not wish to inhale others nicotine. Not only is smoking illegal, it's extremely inconsiderate and inappropriate.
I completely agree

Master29

Established Member
It's not about being one of the lads, it's that I wouldn't waste my energy and time on such a minor issue. I would just walk away and not let it bother me; smoking is only confrontational when you decide to confront someone about it. We can leave it to the real heroes - people who text 61016; the true glue of society.
But what about someone with sever respiratory issues. I myself am asthmatic and I do find it offensive though probably not dangerous to myself.. I understand you saying it's minor in relation to an assault or worse but not necessarily minor for someone with the first point.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
But what about someone with sever respiratory issues. I myself am asthmatic and I do find it offensive though probably not dangerous to myself.. I understand you saying it's minor in relation to an assault or worse but not necessarily minor for someone with the first point.
I was on a train in Egypt at the tail end of bronchitis and the lounge car was full of smokers. I left the lounge car. That it is legal or not is of no concern to me; I will just move somewhere else.

1D54

I stood out in the rain at Fairfield station on Saturday afternoon as the small shelter had been taken over by four local youths smoking cigarettes and dope. I thought about 61016 but only had a few minutes to wait for train and didn't want to bother Police on such a minor matter.

Master29

Established Member
I was on a train in Egypt at the tail end of bronchitis and the lounge car was full of smokers. I left the lounge car. That it is legal or not is of no concern to me; I will just move somewhere else.
I would have probably done the same if it's considered acceptable among Egyptians or anywhere else. That's up to them. I`m not anti smoker but I don't want it in my personal space and I can see why there are individuals who might find it a bit more than a minor issue.

JamieL

Smoking in an enclosed public space is totally unacceptable. Invite the individual to stop and, if they do not, report. Don't be a wallflower.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you're in a country that is backwards when it comes to smoking laws / cultural norms, then you just have to accept their laws; that's just part and parcel of going abroad! But in this country it's totally unacceptable.

Class800

Established Member
Smoking in an enclosed public space is totally unacceptable. Invite the individual to stop and, if they do not, report. Don't be a wallflower.
Unfortunately this could pose serious risks to the safety of the person intervening. It is not worth risking it in my view. People who smoke against the law may also be prone to other anti social behaviours. I'm just careful after someone ripped out a train seat and threw it at me near Otford 20 years ago for travelling on my own. If it hadn't missed by inches I may not be here to tell the tale

RJ

Established Member

That’s not the case for everyone. Someone was smoking on a bus I was travelling on. Small hours of a Sunday morning.

I told him to put it out. He did, reluctantly and tried to give some backchat. Another passenger told him to stop was he was doing. And a third. Then another beast of a bloke came from the back to ensure the smoking ban was being enforced.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
We're constantly being told that the BTP are overstretched and spread way too thinly. As annoying as it might be, contacting them about someone smoking on a train probably isn't worth it. They'll be long gone by the time anyone shows up to investigate, and might take an officer away from a more important thing. The vast majority of smokers aren't the sort to wilfully break the rules, but someone who does is more likely to ignore other rules or laws, and challenging them could end badly.

JamieL

We're constantly being told that the BTP are overstretched and spread way too thinly. As annoying as it might be, contacting them about someone smoking on a train probably isn't worth it. They'll be long gone by the time anyone shows up to investigate, and might take an officer away from a more important thing. The vast majority of smokers aren't the sort to wilfully break the rules, but someone who does is more likely to ignore other rules or laws, and challenging them could end badly.
Not challenging them is exposing yourself and others to harmful smoke. It is illegal, disrespectful and harms others. Not reporting something because 'the BTP might have something else on' doesn't really cut it IMHO.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We're constantly being told that the BTP are overstretched and spread way too thinly.
Are we? I'm constantly hearing to report things that don't look right; maybe you make different journeys to me!
As annoying as it might be, contacting them about someone smoking on a train probably isn't worth it.
In your opinion maybe, but unless I sensed a strong danger from the situation, I would challenge them.
They'll be long gone by the time anyone shows up to investigate, and might take an officer away from a more important thing.
I am sure the police can manage their time effectively and will be able to prioritise what to attend; if that wasn't the case, why would they ask us to report things?
The vast majority of smokers aren't the sort to wilfully break the rules
We are not talking about "smokers" in general; we are talking about people smoking on trains, who are by definition not just breaking "rules" but the law, as well as acting in a disrespectful and insulting manner to everyone around them.
but someone who does is more likely to ignore other rules or laws, and challenging them could end badly.
I'll decide if I am going to challenge them or not based on my own perception of the risk. I've challenged people before, and I will do so again. That said, it is incredibly rare that I find people smoking on a train. If I think someone is a big threat to me and others then I may not challenge them directly, but if not, I absolutely will challenge them.

Status
Not open for further replies.