• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow Hill - Overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamz

Hi all. I will be starting with wmt at Snow Hill next year and I had some questions regarding overtime.

Is overtime easily available? I heard they're recruiting many drivers so I'm assuming that will reduce the amount of overtime.

How much do you get paid for overtime on weekdays and Sundays?

Do penalties apply as they do with some other TOCS?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Hi all. I will be starting with wmt at Snow Hill next year and I had some questions regarding overtime.

Is overtime easily available? I heard they're recruiting many drivers so I'm assuming that will reduce the amount of overtime.

How much do you get paid for overtime on weekdays and Sundays?

Do penalties apply as they do with some other TOCS?

Thank you in advance.
What job are you doing with WMT at Snow Hill next year?

dereksingh291

On Moderation
He said they were taking on loads of drivers so I'm assuming drivers.

I start my course soon and was kinda wondering the same thing about overtime.
what was the process of becoming a train driver & how long did it take from application to job offer? I want to become a Train Driver with West Midlands Trains as I live in the Birmingham area of the West Midlands.

Rhymnosauras

what was the process of becoming a train driver & how long did it take from application to job offer? I want to become a Train Driver with West Midlands Trains as I live in the Birmingham area of the West Midlands.
I applied in May 2020, had online interviews and test after a month or so. Had more tests in the new year and 2 more interviews. Got my job offer in in June after my medical.

There is lots of info about all aspects of the process on this forum. Good luck, hope to see you on the trains soon!

dereksingh291

On Moderation
I applied in May 2020, had online interviews and test after a month or so. Had more tests in the new year and 2 more interviews. Got my job offer in in June after my medical.

There is lots of info about all aspects of the process on this forum. Good luck, hope to see you on the trains soon!
ah right okay were you internal or external & what questions were asked during the online interview but also what tests are included to become a train driver & I wish you all the best throughout your career on the railway as a driver & any idea when they'll be recruiting for drivers again? I'm new to this forum anyway. Are you from Birmingham?

Val3ntine

ah right okay were you internal or external & what questions were asked during the online interview but also what tests are included to become a train driver & I wish you all the best throughout your career on the railway as a driver & any idea when they'll be recruiting for drivers again? I'm new to this forum anyway. Are you from Birmingham?

Hi,
Please check out these two links as they will be your best aid.

Rhymnosauras

Yeah have a look at those links that were just sent. There is lots of information on this forum about all aspects of becoming a train driver.

Good luck

Hi,
Please check out these two links as they will be your best aid.

Thanks for digging out those links

Jamz

Yes I'm already a driver with a different TOC and hopefully starting early next year. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What penalties?
With most TOCs I'm aware of, there is a complicated 'scoring' system which is used to ensure even and fair allocation of Rest Day Work. Typically working a RD would give you one 'credit' or point, and RDW defaults to being allocated to the person with the least number of credits (that can work it in accordance with the Hidden recommendations).

If you volunteer for RDW on a given day, but then withdraw your availability at short notice, this often incurs a large penalty in terms of your credits, e.g. 10, to account for the fact that this can cause significant problems to rosters and means that colleagues who would otherwise have been allocated the work could lose out.

Class2ldn

Trust me If the company are desperate they wont care if you pulled out 2 minutes before the job, they'll have you back in the next day no issues

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Trust me If the company are desperate they wont care if you pulled out 2 minutes before the job, they'll have you back in the next day no issues
Of course - when things are tight (as they currently are at a lot of TOCs) then overtime will be used come what may. But the principle becomes more relevant during 'normal' times when there is less overtime available.

Class2ldn

We don't have a points system at our place, if you pull out of a rest day and drop them in it supposedly you go to the back of the queue for further rest days but its all done on a rest day count anyway.
Whoever has the lowest gets the earliest turn and so on until there's no more jobs to cover.
There's no principle at our place even during normal times, they wont bite their nose off to spite their face.
They won't leave a job uncovered because you blew one out the day before.
If they need you they will ask disruption or not.

warwickshire

On Moderation
However as they say on the railway don't always rely on overtime just your basic.
Anything else is a bonus.
It might dry up. Might. Ie with a little around.
However west Midlands trains there usually is a good deal.
However some other train operators do have some extra drivers so it can be thinned out a lot less.
But fair play do as much as you want.
But fatigue can creep up as well.
But then again get the overtime whilst you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.