• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow Related Disruption 29/01/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I will be travelling to Doncaster tomorrow, although I see that a yellow severe weather warning has been issued for Tuesday and Wednesday:

Met Office said:
Between 12:00 Tue 29th and 11:00 Wed 30th

Rain turning to snow, especially on hills, then turning icy.

What to expect
  • Some roads and railways likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and train services
  • Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
  • Probably some ice on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths

Warnings are also in place around most of the rest of the country.

BBC said:
Snow may disrupt travel across the UK, Met Office says

Snow and ice are likely to cause travel disruption for most of the UK this week, the Met Office has warned.

A yellow weather warning comes into force in Scotland at 01:00 GMT on Tuesday, while England and Wales will be affected from midday.

The Met Office has forecast up to 10cm (4in) of snow on higher ground, with up to 2cm expected to lie in lower areas.

Police have urged motorists to take extra care, with snow expected to hit west and southern Scotland overnight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47027762

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve got Fort-William- Mallaig and return tomorrow (although it’s optional, so can be abandoned). Then Fort William-Oban-Crianlarich Wednesday where I will have to wait in -5 for the sleeper down Euston.

But, they seem to cope well with it up here and trains get through it better than cars. On holiday too so not in a rush to go anywhere.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If the railway can't function through a yellow alert then it really is time for us all to pack up and go home.

I notice that SE Trains may invoke a special TT on Thursday due to the risk of ice on the 3rd rail. Obviously the Lewisham incident has spooked them:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servi...1.1604956228.1548684309-1478249095.1548684306

Why do we change the timetable?
When the mercury plummets, even the lightest dusting of snow or rain can freeze and insulate the electric rail. This cuts power to our trains and stops them moving with any speed. By running the Winter Weather Timetable we enable trains to stop and start less which means they are less likely to get stuck.

Francis

How do the Russians manage every winter running the Trans-Siberian through Novosibirsk and Irkutsk at -40 C? We get down to -2 C and a centimetre of snow and everyone panics.

Sleepy

Established Member
3rd rail has always been susceptible to ice since BR days ! If an easy solution was available it would have been implemented years ago.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I'm travelling from London (well, Utrecht) this afternoon to Sheffield via Eurostar and ECML so hopefully the network will still be in tact at circa 2130 :lol:

Antman

Established Member
Well they live in Russia for a start.

And they have the infrastructure to deal with it, hardly worthwhile investing in such equipment in the UK for the comparatively miniscule amount of snowfall we normally get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
How do the Russians manage every winter running the Trans-Siberian through Novosibirsk and Irkutsk at -40 C? We get down to -2 C and a centimetre of snow and everyone panics.

Absolutely yes, they panic. For my area, near Basingstoke, there are yellow warnings which say:-
  • There is a small chance of travel delays on roads with some stranded vehicles and passengers, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel
  • There is a slight chance that some rural communities could become cut off
  • There is a small chance that power cuts will occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected
  • There is a small chance of injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces.

• There are probably some people getting really worried by these small chances, and on a public transport system if just one train or bus gets delayed it can have a large knock-on effect on many other services, but for most people the sensible thing is to continue to do what you'd normally do, and just take sensible precautions, such as looking out for icy patches, or being prepared for the possibility that a journey may take longer than usual.

matacaster

On Moderation
Sorry off-topic rant!

Weather sites and newspaper click-bait. They weather types have some of the most powerful computers available and (some) brain power, but still only manage to come out with all-embracing forecasts which can be distilled to "snow, sleet or rain may fall somewhere in the country". One might get a more accurate answer from the Oracle at Delphi or a clairvoyant. About as useful as economists.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

As I am sure you aware you are hardly comparing like with like.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Sorry off-topic rant!

Weather sites and newspaper click-bait. They weather types have some of the most powerful computers available and (some) brain power, but still only manage to come out with all-embracing forecasts which can be distilled to "snow, sleet or rain may fall somewhere in the country". One might get a more accurate answer from the Oracle at Delphi or a clairvoyant. About as useful as economists.

I wonder what the notorious Nathan Rao of the Daily Express is predicting?

https://www.indy100.com/article/the...ery-year-for-5-years-and-got-it-wrong-7332186
Former Channel 4 journalist Tom Whitwell has called out the paper for printing virtually the same story about the 'coldest winter on record' for the last five years.

Whitwell posted examples of the near identical stories, often by weather writer Nathan Rao, to Twitter.
:)

Iskra

Established Member
There’s been a good covering on the West Highland Line, no disruption though.

al78

Established Member

Firstly, they have severe winters and heavy snow as part of their climate, the lowland UK does not. Widespread disruptive snow in the UK is rare enough that it is not worth spending money investing in the sort of equipment seen in countries that have severe winters as their climatology.

Secondly, an air frost and a centimetre of snow does not result in panic. That is a right wing tabloid BS stereotype. I live in the SE, and no-one is panicking. Even when we have had lying snow people do go about their business as usual. People even got about with care and some disruption in the severe cold spells of December and January 2010. The media target the worst affected areas to report where there is disruption, which is only a very localised area, this doesn't mean EVERYWHERE is the same.

al78

Established Member
Sorry off-topic rant!

Incorrect. Weather forecasts do have useful skill out to five days, up to a week in some cases (yes this has been officially verified). If you look at the Met Office forecasts you will find local and regional forecasts that are rather more than "snow, sleet or rain may fall somewhere in the country". Again, why do people constantly feel the need to trot out tired old BS stereotypes, is it a substitute for intelligent rational objective thinking? It is sad that people on here call out those who make incorrect tired old assertions about the rail industry, yet will go and trot out the same type of nonsense about something they are ignorant about.

al78

Established Member
For the record, Geneva airport falls to bits after a flake or two of snow.

Even countries that are accustomed to snow and freezing temperatures can experience problems.

The laws of physics show no discrimination.

Essan

Sorry off-topic rant!

Unfortunately, despite all the money we pay them and all their super computers, the Met office has still not yet developed time travel ;)

C37

Snowploughs from Norwich just passed through Leicester en route to Derby

d9009alycidon

I am convinced that ever since the famous Michael Fish "No there is not going to be a Hurricane" affair of 1987 the Met office have covered their backside at the merest hint of severe weather, seen it many time where yellow or amber alerts are put out and nothing of note happens. Reminds me of my first visit to the USA (North Carolina) and while I was in my hotel room a Tornado Alert buzzed on the TV, I dashed down to the bar and asked what I should do, and he barman replied "have a beer and don't worry, if George Bush farts they put out a Tornado alert" sure enough there was a bit of a thunderstorm, but no tornado!

I’ve got Fort-William- Mallaig and return tomorrow (although it’s optional, so can be abandoned). Then Fort William-Oban-Crianlarich Wednesday where I will have to wait in -5 for the sleeper down Euston.

Minus 5? Positively tropical. It's not worth putting a coat on up here until it's at least minus 7 or 8 :smile:

My record waiting for a train was minus 20 at Rogart a few years ago. One of the most beautiful journeys I've ever made - thick frost on absolutely everything and all glittering in the early morning sun. Magical.

Goodness knows how the 'Chelsea tractor' driving, Surrey brigade would cope with some proper cold weather...

Last edited:

Esker-pades

Established Member
Minus 5? Positively tropical. It's not worth putting a coat on up here until it's at least minus 7 or 8 :smile:

My record waiting for a train was minus 20 at Rogart a few years ago. One of the most beautiful journeys I've ever made - thick frost on absolutely everything and all glittering in the early morning sun. Magical.
That beats my record of minus 7 at Lochluichart earlier this month, which I thought was fairly extreme. (It was described as "crazy" by some.) Honestly one of the most spectacular places I've been to in this country.

(OK, it's probably got a lot colder when waiting at various French stations having been skiing, but that doesn't count.)

Iskra

Established Member

Goodness knows how the 'Chelsea tractor' driving, Surrey brigade would cope with some proper cold weather...

I did see a bloke in shorts yesterday in Fort William. I’ve done -18 in Canada, but I think my British record is -8. It doesn’t really matter what the temperature is, providing you’re dressed for it.

Thanks for the video. Any reason they didn’t thaw that engine out by just warming it up slowly with a gentle fire to start with. I’m currently sat on Morar station waiting for the train back to Fort William having walked from Mallaig.

Antman

Established Member
Firstly, they have severe winters and heavy snow as part of their climate, the lowland UK does not. Widespread disruptive snow in the UK is rare enough that it is not worth spending money investing in the sort of equipment seen in countries that have severe winters as their climatology.

Secondly, an air frost and a centimetre of snow does not result in panic. That is a right wing tabloid BS stereotype. I live in the SE, and no-one is panicking. Even when we have had lying snow people do go about their business as usual. People even got about with care and some disruption in the severe cold spells of December and January 2010. The media target the worst affected areas to report where there is disruption, which is only a very localised area, this doesn't mean EVERYWHERE is the same.

And there speaks the voice of reason.

Honestly I don't know where this nonsense comes from, comparisons to Russia are like comparing chalk and cheese and nobody I know of is in any sort of panic about possible snowfall and supermarket shelves appear to be fully stocked as normal so clearly no panic buying going on and why would there be?

Status
Not open for further replies.