• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

So if Mk I's are almost not quite banned from NR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
What about pre-nationalization coaches such as those designed by Gresley and Stanier.

Common sense would say they are a neddy-no-no, but has there ever been anything offical said by NR regarding them?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hydro

Established Member
Are Mk1's going to be banned? The last I heard, the rules regarding Mk1's were in fact looking at being relaxed. The requirement to have a barrier vehicle, either an empty Mk1, or Mk2+ coach at either end was to be dropped if the train was limited to 75mph.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My understanding is that Mk1s (or Mk1 derived stock) is banned from the mainline in revenue service (ie for a TOC with the bubbles being the exceptions) but there isn't an outright ban on Mk1 stock for railtours instead there are a bunch of hoops to jump through (the need for barrier vehicles) and it is these hoops that are possibly being relaxed.

Hydro

Established Member
I think they would be subject to the same restrictions as Mk1's. The VSOE still runs, what about that Royal Scot(?) set, is that still cleared for NR metals? There's a Devon Belle observation car being done up at Rampart in Derby, that thing looks about as crashworthy as a bag of crisps.

I think they would be subject to the same restrictions as Mk1's. The VSOE still runs, what about that Royal Scot(?) set, is that still cleared for NR metals? There's a Devon Belle observation car being done up at Rampart in Derby, that thing looks about as crashworthy as a bag of crisps.

Yes the Royal Scotsman is still cleared and is currently been hauled by 57001 I believe.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Has anybody told the owners of the Woodworm Express about this 'ban'?

http://paulbigland.pikfu.net/set130252/media30763935.html
As Snapper has rightly said, the "Queen of Scots" set (although I like the "Woodworm Express" title) mainly consists of some pretty ancient pre-grouping rolling stock, including a couple of Victorian era vehicles one of which is a "cut and shut" job containing the cab of a class 101 DMU acting as an observation saloon (It saw use in the original "Royal Scotsman" train IIRC).

I have no idea what sort of restrictions are placed on the operation of the Queen of Scots carriage rake, but it shows that it is possible to operate older vehicles on the national network. But as far as seeing a full rake of Gresley teak or LMS Stanier stock on the main line is concerned, unfortunately I think it is unlikely, especially in view of the much increased standard of maintenance that would have to be lavished upon the vehicles to make them fit for 75mph running on railtours.

Although if it was to happen, I'd rather see a rake of Stanier LMS stock on the main line (A truly blasphemous proposition from such a staunch LNER man as myself), as from my experiences travelling in both types of carriage the Gresley stock seems to be rougher riding even at 25mph, as much as it pains me to say it.

I may be wrong, but didn't EWS operate a Stanier design (although built in BR days) inspection saloon into the early years of this millenium?

mallard

Established Member
I may be wrong, but didn't EWS operate a Stanier design (although built in BR days) inspection saloon into the early years of this millenium?

There were 5 inspection saloons built in the 1950s to LMS design, latterly numbered 999501-999505. Of these, I think* 999503 survived longest on the mainline, in use until about 2001 before being dumped at Old Oak Common until 2008 when it was purchased for preservation, currently resident at the GCR I believe.

* I cant find any pre-preservation details about 999504, but it was painted into EWS livery and may have been in use more recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.