• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Some help and advice please.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum so please be a little patient.

I was looking at a total career change and the possibility of train driving, either passenger or freight, has a real draw for me. I have been in the fire service for almost 20 years and am possibly looking for a new challenge in the near future.

I am only 41 and physically fit and was wondering of there were any pitfalls it should watch out for, places to look, where/how to start the process, etc. etc..

I look forward to your responses and would appreciate any advice/help you are able to provide to get me started!

All the best,

Jon :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

My first suggestion would be to carry out some research. Have a look through this forum and look online.

So our members could help, where are you based so we can make depot suggestions to look out for potential jobs.

Simon

Thanks folks, appreciate the replies. I'm currently stationed in Didcot, Oxon, so not too sure where would be the best place to look.

Why the warning to avoid freight? Just wondering what all the options are?

Keep it coming peeps!:)

I sent you a message before, it was a "visitor" message, not sure what that means?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Thanks folks, appreciate the replies. I'm currently stationed in Didcot, Oxon, so not too sure where would be the best place to look.

Why the warning to avoid freight? Just wondering what all the options are?

Keep it coming peeps!:)

[Freight] DB (Cargo) have drivers based at Didcot but can imagine if there is ever a vacancy it will be filled internally or advertised for qualified drivers.

[Passenger] Obviously the local company to Didcot is Great Western Railways, they have driver depots (in the Thames Valley)) at Oxford, Reading & Paddington. There has been a recent recruitment window for trainee drivers which has now closed and as you can imagine has been pretty well subscribed.

Keep your eyes on the the First Group careers page for vacancies.

Although one advert has recently closed, I'm in no doubt there will be vacancies shortly advertised for Manoeuvrer (Depot Driver basically) at Reading Depot. A fair number of the current crew have been accepted for the trainee driver role as mentioned above and obviously they will need replacing.

Again at Reading Depot, to replace those who have been accepted for Mainline Driving, there will no doubt be vacancies for 'Train Movement Controller' (Depot Signaller, amongst other things!!) in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.