• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Some people have all the luck (unexpected diversions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My wife - on the Cross Country due to arrive at Brockenhurst at 15:56 is currently being diverted via Romsey to Southampton Airport because of a broken down freight at St. Denys.

Why does nothing like this happen when I travel by train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ah well! Diversion didn't happen in the end but train was half an hour late.

As an aside would a Cross Country driver have to be piloted over the Romsey route to Southampton Central?

Just a further twist to add to the fun at Waterloo his morning.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Basingstoke - Andover - Laverstock - Romsey - Southampton is a common diversion route used when the main-line via Winchester is closed, although only booked working is an ECS movement on Sunday mornings.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Coming into Southampton via Redbridge is rather common, however I cannot recall the last time (if I have read the OP correctly) I saw XC divert via Chandler's Ford.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Just realised the OP mentioned a block at St Denys, in which case you'd struggle to access Southampton via Chandler's Ford :oops: As you were...

Originally the passengers were told at Winchester that the train would divert via Romsey but where it would head to Romsey from was not made clear. Are there other options from Winchester other than via Chandlers Ford?

Is Eastleigh to Chandlers Ford a route that can be accessed without reversing at Eastleigh?

Harbouring

Originally the passengers were told at Winchester that the train would divert via Romsey but where it would head to Romsey from was not made clear. Are there other options from Winchester other than via Chandlers Ford?

Is Eastleigh to Chandlers Ford a route that can be accessed without reversing at Eastleigh?

A reversal at Eastleigh is essential to access Chandlers Ford and Romsey from from Winchester and then a reversal at Romsey to get to Southampton Central via Redbridge. Would have been an adventure.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you enjoy diversions, you could do worse than become a regular traveller on the Midland Mainline. As a reasonably frequent traveller for the past few years, I've been diverted via Sharnbrook Tunnel, the Harringworth arches, the Erewash Valley, the Old Road and all manner of exotic things North of Sheffield involving Doncaster or Barnsley.

And all in the superior comfort of the InterCity 125 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.