• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Son given large fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I'm not sure that I follow...
Due to GDPR (or a fear of it) we are no longer allowed to withdraw Out of Date railcards without a TIR or MG11 to accompany it.

So whereas before most people would excess and withdraw, it is now withdraw and report.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Due to GDPR (or a fear of it) we are no longer allowed to withdraw Out of Date railcards without a TIR or MG11 to accompany it.

So whereas before most people would excess and withdraw, it is now withdraw and report.

That's got nothing to do with GDPR, as rules regarding that kind of use of personal data (the name on the Railcard, I'm guessing) have not changed from DPA1998 to GDPR. That sounds more like the way everything bad they do at airports is for "security reasons" - i.e. to shut people up.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

To mix metaphors, that's the same old "because of data protection" chestnut that has been pulled out of the hat by many an incompetent organisation, in response to an inconvenient or unusual request, ever since the DPA 1998 came into force...

Data protection is not in any way at all relevant to this. I suspect it's simply a policy to increase prosecutions and revenue from settlements.

najaB

Veteran Member
Definitely 'fear of' rather than the actual legislation. I'm not an expert on GDPR but I was the training lead for a mid-sized company (about 500 employees in the EU) and there's nothing I'm aware of that would impact being able to withdraw an out of date railcard, provided it was kept securely until it could be handed in to 'head office'.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Data protection is not in any way at all relevant to this. I suspect it's simply a policy to increase prosecutions and revenue from settlements.

Or someone genuinely thinks consent is the only basis for data collection, which it isn't - it's actually the weakest basis which should only be used if your proposal doesn't meet any of the others. The collection of the Railcard for disposal easily meets legitimate interest provided it isn't just chucked in the bin - it's in the interest of the TOC as it's out of circulation, and it's in the interest of the passenger because they can't use it by mistake again.

It is, however, without a doubt the biggest GDPR myth of the lot.

najaB

Veteran Member
I suspect it's simply a policy to increase prosecutions and revenue from settlements.
I doubt it's a policy at all. And I think the ORR/DfT would find it very interesting if TOCs were using settlements as a supplemental revenue stream.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I doubt it's a policy at all. And I think the ORR/DfT would find it very interesting if TOCs were using settlements as a supplemental revenue stream.
I'm not sure there's much they can do about it, in practice - even if it's not entirely above board. Given it's Arriva and CrossCountry, I wouldn't be surprised if it really is the case.

dtaylor84

Why would they be afraid of withdrawing a railcard, but happy to complete and hold a TIR/MR11 which would both presumably contain more personal information than the railcard?

island

Veteran Member
Already answered above. It has nothing to do with GDPR and everything to do with people making stuff up about the GDPR.

R G NOW.

When I had my railcard in 1987 it ran out on the 7th of oct and I went into Newport booking office the day before and renewed it. It cost 16 pounds and yes, the bloke kept the old one and gave me a new one, which back then was in a credit card sized plastic clear sleeve. I did not have a photocard with it then.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Already answered above. It has nothing to do with GDPR and everything to do with people making stuff up about the GDPR.
Or just as likely that the company/individual within the company has seen a change in the law that few fully understand as a good way to increase revenue. That sort of thing isn't exactly unheard of.

FenMan

Established Member
Or just as likely that the company/individual within the company has seen a change in the law that few fully understand as a good way to increase revenue. That sort of thing isn't exactly unheard of.

Agreed. Never underestimate an ambitious employee trying hard to look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.