• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sound files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Established Member
Was going to add some announcements to a route I am making but am concerned about file sizes. A typical announcement listing station calls is ~500k and causes a noticeable delay when it is about to play.

By the time I have got all the announcments in, the total size of the sound files is going to be greater than that of the objects!!!

Anyone think of a way of making .wav files smaller or are there alternative file types around which can be used?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

BVE only permits .wav, but using Sound Recorder you can compress it a bit.

I use Audacity (search on sf.net), it allows a number of different compression types to try. :)

Coxster

Established Member
You could instead make an additional file that includes extra, non-essential announcements and a seperate route file that uses them. Then it is up to the person whether they download a large sound file or a small one.

Tom B

Established Member
Alternatively, package "null" sounds with the same filenames as the real ones with each route, and include the real sounds as an alternate download.

Dennis

Established Member
Like the null sounds idea, although I was doing versions with and without the announcements anyway.

TBH, never really thought about download time for people on dial-up, I was more concerned about maximising the route performance - large announcements do seem to cause noticeable jerkiness.

Will check out the wav editors, Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.