• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Eastern issues 08/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementalpat

Seems there was a major issue with signals out of Charing Cross and London Bridge last night and the delays were getting up to 2 hours according to NR website.

Think the issue started just after 6, but it the delays just got worse and worse according to the web.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
Massive track circuit problems around Borough Market, between Waterloo East and London Bridge. Heard one was showing occupied when it was actually clear. Began around 17:50 and fixed around 22:00 if I remember right.

For Southeastern, services between Charing Cross and London Bridge were going through slowly one by one or went via Cannon Street and the single line Metropolitan reversible. This in itself meant severe delays because of the wait to go through the section or the diversion via Cannon Street. Obviously this also impacted on services leaving Cannon Street, as the platforms and throat were congested with extra services not timetabled to be there.

For Thameslink, trains between Bedford and Brighton via London Bridge simply avoided the area and were diverted via Elephant and Castle instead, adding some delays to their journeys too.

As with everything at London Bridge, once one thing goes wrong, it all falls and the congestion caused multiplies over time. If a major issue happens in the evening peak, service will more than likely not recover for the rest of the night, as is the extent of stock/crew displacement.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Seems there was a major issue with signals out of Charing Cross and London Bridge last night and the delays were getting up to 2 hours according to NR website.

Think the issue started just after 6, but it the delays just got worse and worse according to the web.

I believe it was some sort of signal problem although I'm open to correction on that, Thameslink services were diverted via Elephant & Castle etc.

Mike99

Hi,
I see from Real Time Trains the 23.40 Dover Priory deaprted 73 late at 00.53 eventually arriving at Dover Priory 03.59, 147 late having left Folkestone Central at 02.54 only 92 late!!
Regards
Mike

ScotGG

Established Member
Looks like more problems have just begun with signalling around London Bridge. No idea if same issue as yesterday.

Wonder how similar situations will shake out post January 2015 with the closure of 2 through platforms & less trains running.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Is the metropolitan line the one that use to be used to run direct services between Charring Cross and Canon Street? What is it used for normally these days?

ScotGG

Established Member
Yes it is. It's normally just empty stock movements but is used on occasion for passenger service with engineering work.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Looks like more problems have just begun with signalling around London Bridge. No idea if same issue as yesterday.

Wonder how similar situations will shake out post January 2015 with the closure of 2 through platforms & less trains running.

Different things in different places.

One of tonight's incidents can't happen after 20th Dec, as the points that failed won't be there :)

Last nights happened on the two track section west of London Bridge, and would be exactly the same outcome if it happened post January.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes it is. It's normally just empty stock movements but is used on occasion for passenger service with engineering work.
Thanks. I must travel on it sometime. I wonder if you can even buy a Charring Cross to Canon Street ticket these days, with them both being terminal stations in zone 1? Incidentally I first came across the Charring Cross to Canon Street service in, in so far as I recall, one of my Victorian guide books to London.

user15681

Established Member
Thanks. I must travel on it sometime. I wonder if you can even buy a Charring Cross to Canon Street ticket these days, with them both being terminal stations in zone 1? Incidentally I first came across the Charring Cross to Canon Street service in, in so far as I recall, one of my Victorian guide books to London.

Next time it's in scheduled use for passengers is Sunday 7th December. You can buy tickets (First Day Return £8.00, First Day Single £4.00, Anytime Day Return £5.30, Anytime Day Single £2.70) but it's not worth it as the Oyster PAYG is cheaper (PAYG Peak £2.30, PAYG Off Peak £1.80).

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Travel is free at the moment (for at least a month)for SE ticket holders between Vic , Embankment Blackfriars & Cannon St due to the Lewisham broken crossover.

hassaanhc

Established Member

I've managed to use it a few months ago without realising at the time that was not a regular move for passenger trains :). It was 2230 one evening after I'd done the whole London Victoria to London Bridge via Crystal Palace service, and I think there were works between London Bridge and Waterloo East. Well I seem to recall the screens showing to change at Cannon Street for Waterloo East, but can't remember much from the time (as I was annoyed at making some sort of mistake :P)

Status
Not open for further replies.