• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Eastern Train driver apprentice roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGA 1974

Good day all, I have seen that there is a number of trainee shunter posts being advertised, I would appreciate feedback if this would be a good way of getting in with associated related experience with a view to later side stepping to passenger trains. I am concerned that I may pigeon hole myself if train as shunter first , or maybe SE are open to lateral transitions.
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grvrdvicdr

You can progress from shunter to mainline. But I say it’s not worth it as you’d have to apply for a trainee driver role, go through the whole rules course and traction exams again, take a pay drop. Only thing being a shunter helps with is familiarity of the cab which takes 2 seconds anyway and depot rules and procedures

NSE

Established Member
Shunter Drivers take far less time to train. So it’s not the same 18 months it takes mainline.
You won’t pigeonhole yourself, it’s a popular way to become a mainline driver and some TOCs have shunter to mainline training groups. Personally, I’d say it’s totally worth it. Yes, you may have a small drop in pay as you switch from shunter driver to trainee mainline, but that’ll quickly go up and far surpass the shunter wage.

DJP78

On Moderation
I progressed from Shunter to Trainee Driver mainline. The Shunting situational examples that I used were invaluable. It’s a great way to learn track skills, cab familiarisation and many other relevant rules & regs that are applicable to driving

My advice would be to grab the job if you can

Class2ldn

Unfortunately not
Used to be, I started with 2 shunters at se and they were definitely on shunters money still as they were still based within the company and no break in service.
Wouldn't surprise me though if its been changed

Juliet Barvo

You can progress from shunter to mainline. But I say it’s not worth it as you’d have to apply for a trainee driver role, go through the whole rules course and traction exams again, take a pay drop. Only thing being a shunter helps with is familiarity of the cab which takes 2 seconds anyway and depot rules and procedures

Shunter's are already doing a safety critical role and some companies that usually require Psychometric passes to Enhanced standard will only require National Standard from their Shunter's for trainee driver roles.

Shunter's will get access to internal vacancies before they are opened up to external candidates.

Summary: if you want to become a trainee train driver and cannot land the role directly, then shunting for a year or two is a very good way forward

AGA 1974

Thank you all for the advice. Sounds like it would be worth it. If I take the plunge I will let you know for sure.
Have a good weekend all

CFRAIL

Just be mindful, that in recent times trainee drivers have been 50/50 internal/external mix. We even have internal candidates waiting for driving courses being overlooked because they can't be released from their current roles.

Samzino

Just be mindful, that in recent times trainee drivers have been 50/50 internal/external mix. We even have internal candidates waiting for driving courses being overlooked because they can't be released from their current roles.
That's the one con of internal recruitment. They basically end up having to fill two roles than just one so some TOCs hold internals for longer in the current roles as would be expected till they can get in new staff to fill it

Status
Not open for further replies.