• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

18 months time? So December 2024 for the 398s to start in service? This seems a rather long testing/training period to say the least. Why have all the OLE in place so soon if this is the case?

ITV Wales News reported from Llandaff station just now.

A TfW representative said the OLE there was energised today and the first electric trains are expected to run in about 18 months time. There were the usual safety warnings about trespass, emphasising the likely consequences of coming into contact with the 25kV ("100 times as powerful as the electricity in your home").

A BTP officer mentioned the recent cable theft and resulting cost and disruption.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
18 months time? So December 2024 for the 398s to start in service? This seems a rather long testing/training period to say the least. Why have all the OLE in place so soon if this is the case?
Only the 9 miles or so detailed in previous posts is energised (as far as I'm aware). Most isn't even installed yet.

56xx

Well the steward at Merthyr said the rail works have been extended for a 6th week next week on the Merthyr line. How far I do not know but it is not good!!
At the moment trains are shown on RTT from next Monday but not stopping at Quakers Yard. A shuttle bus is shown Merthyr Vale-Quakers Yard-Abercynon.

Markdvdman

That delay also suggests endless line closures at the north end as very little work on electrification has been done there (taking the obvious Treherbert line out of the equation). I mean part pillars everywhere, and npt seeing any workers when passing the stations I do pass on the replacement buses ONCE in the last 5 weeks! It could be just coincidence but not exactly encouraging!

59CosG95

Established Member
Only the 9 miles or so detailed in previous posts is energised (as far as I'm aware). Most isn't even installed yet.
The sections in question are the ones with grid supply points; Tonteg FS (from Upper Boat 275kV Substation) feeds the section through Treforest Estate, while the section on the City Line and between Llandaf and Taffs Well is fed from Ninian Park FS (itself an offshoot from Network Rail's Canton ATFS).

Dai Corner

Established Member
The sections in question are the ones with grid supply points; Tonteg FS (from Upper Boat 275kV Substation) feeds the section through Treforest Estate, while the section on the City Line and between Llandaf and Taffs Well is fed from Ninian Park FS (itself an offshoot from Network Rail's Canton ATFS).
Thanks.

Signal_Box

The section around Radyr was to be considered and treated as live about 10 days ago. At least if our friends in the frequently moving community try to steal it AGAIN they’ll have a nasty shock literally !

markymark2000

On Moderation
The section around Radyr was to be considered and treated as live about 10 days ago. At least if our friends in the frequently moving community try to steal it AGAIN they’ll have a nasty shock literally !
Perhaps it was just my eyes but the wires up in Radyr look a lot different to wires seen across the rest of the railway network. Extremely coppery in comparison to all other OLE that I've seen. IS that just because it's new or is it a different wire being used?

Signal_Box

It’s just because it’s band new, and not energised until very recently. It’ll soon darken once the juice and rest trains start to take their toll.

Testing with the trams starts next week on the commissioned section.

anthony263

Established Member
It’s just because it’s band new, and not energised until very recently. It’ll soon darken once the juice and rest trains start to take their toll.

Testing with the trams starts next week on the commissioned section.
Was told testing wouldn't probably start till Wednesday now

DaveHarries

Established Member
Is there anyway of finding out when the testing with the trams will be, because I can get to all of those places within an hour biking, 20mins to the treforest end
You'll be having a very late (or should that be early?) one! For 05th June and into the early hours of 06th June the following are in RealTimeTrains:
- 3Q00 2325 Taffs Well Depot - Taffs Well 2327
- 3Q01 2330 Taffs Well - Radyr 2353
- 3Q02 0037 Radyr - Taffs Well 0100
- 3Q03 0112 Taffs Well - Radyr 0124
- 3Q04 0132 Radyr - Taffs Well 0144
- 3Q05 0154 Taffs Well - Radyr 0200
- 3Q06 0210 Radyr - Taffs Well 0216
- 3Q07 0226 Taffs Well - Radyr 0229
- 3Q08 0239 Radyr - Taffs Well 0249 (says arr. 0239 on RTT!)
- 3Q09 0252 Taffs Well - Radyr 0254
- 3Q10 0304 Radyr - Taffs Well 0306 (not possible: probably should be 0316)
- 3Q11 0317 Taffs Well - Taffs Well Depot 0324

I imagine that will be the sequence of timings for test runs for the time being. Pity about the timings but probably the best time to do them even if not from the enthusiast point of view! As a side note RTT has the workings all pathed as Class 150/153/155/156 DMU @ 75mph.

HTIOU,
Dave

Envoy

Established Member
Does anyone know how many Metro stations have now been fitted out with new toilets in readiness for the 398’s with no toilets on board? Cardiff Central does not appear to have any new toilets. Does Barry Island station have any toilets or is everybody supposed to go on the trains being as this is not on the 398 routes?

WesternBiker

Does anyone know how many Metro stations have now been fitted out with new toilets in readiness for the 398’s with no toilets on board? Cardiff Central does not appear to have any new toilets. Does Barry Island station have any toilets or is everybody supposed to go on the trains being as this is not on the 398 routes?
Barry Island station doesn’t, but there are several public toilets not that far from the station. Barry (town) has gents' toilets - I think usually only open when staffed - though they are not currently shown on the National Rail website - so maybe they are closed?

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
I'm pretty sure it's none.

Apart from Central and Queen Street the only station I can think of that might have them is Pontypridd.

It doesn't take long to plonk down one of those chemical toilets you see at public events or on building sites though.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Apart from Central and Queen Street the only station I can think of that might have them is Pontypridd.

It doesn't take long to plonk down one of those chemical toilets you see at public events or on building sites though.
Pontypridd has had public toilets for years (I remember using them as a kid). How often they are actually open is a different question though (I bloody well hope they are open more frequently than when I was younger!).

I believe the plan is for TfW to add toilets to 6 other valley line stations. I can't remember exactly what the full list was but pretty sure it was the three heads of valleys stations (so Treherbert, Merthyr and Aberdare) and then three others. I've not seen anything being added on my travels, but saying that the services I usually use are replaced by buses until next year so even if they were putting them in I probably wouldn't see much until then!

markymark2000

On Moderation

Ponty toilets are only open part time. Radyr has portaloos as well.

but saying that the services I usually use are replaced by buses until next year so even if they were putting them in I probably wouldn't see much until then!
TFW should be installing toilets sooner then really as right now, they are expecting bus replacement staff to work at stations without any facilities. Forcing drivers to take quick breaks in Radyr for toilets and forcing staff to use bus replacements up and down the line to the closest available toilet.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Ponty toilets are only open part time. Radyr has portaloos as well.

TFW should be installing toilets sooner then really as right now, they are expecting bus replacement staff to work at stations without any facilities. Forcing drivers to take quick breaks in Radyr for toilets and forcing staff to use bus replacements up and down the line to the closest available toilet.
Yep. Might as well have toilets for all to use, thats including customers.

56xx

Pontypridd toilets are only currently of use for down line trains (Platform 1 & 2). To get to them for up line trains and actually use them would probably take longer than the 15 minute (hopefully) interval between trams so a 30 minute delay. Toilets on Platform 3 will be difficult to provide.

stevieinselby

Pontypridd toilets are only currently of use for down line trains (Platform 1 & 2). To get to them for up line trains and actually use them would probably take longer than the 15 minute (hopefully) interval between trams so a 30 minute delay. Toilets on Platform 3 will be difficult to provide.
Really? It may not be great for people with severely limited mobility, but I would have thought 10 minutes was more than long enough for the vast majority of people to cross a footbridge, have a pee, and cross back again.

Envoy

Established Member
Many thanks everyone for your recent responses regarding the toilet issue. So, clearly TfW have done nothing about providing the promised new toilets at various locations. The issue at Radyr is particularly concerning being as it is often used as a transfer point to buses. The fact that no toilets exist at Barry Island station is appalling in view of the number of people using this station in summer. This is forcing people to use the toilets on the trains - surely an undesirable outcome as no toilets exist near to the station.

At this stage in the Metro project, one would have expected TfW to have had these new toilet facilities completed.

WesternBiker

The fact that no toilets exist at Barry Island station is appalling in view of the number of people using this station in summer. This is forcing people to use the toilets on the trains - surely an undesirable outcome as no toilets exist near to the station.
Depends on how you define "near".

There are toilets c. 200m away in the Pleasure Park opposite the station (available to the public by agreement with the Council), and there are two more sets of toilets, at either end of the Promenade - so at least two within an easy 5 minute walk. Those visiting the beach effectively walk past them on their way to the station. Plus those in the all the eateries people might be using - many will prefer to use them before they leave. That's much better availability than lots of other places in the valleys, especially those to be served by tram-trains without loos.

Barry Island these days is effectively a small, unstaffed halt - which makes access to, and maintenance of, toilets more problematic.

Last edited: