• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Envoy

Established Member
The proposed business park on farmland east of Cardiff Airport will definitely block having any rail loop into the Terminal at some point in the future. Goodness knows why this land should be developed especially as brownfield land exists in Barry docklands and now the Aberthaw Power station site is also up for development. Meanwhile, road links remain poor/overloaded. To have a direct Metro link into Cardiff Airport would be a major plus point. (Road links are also poor to Bristol Airport).

Here is the plan for the land concerned:>

Attachments

• BUSINESS PARK E OF CARDIFF AIRPORT.jpg
    BUSINESS PARK E OF CARDIFF AIRPORT.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 33

WesternBiker

Is there any realistic likelihood of an airport link ever being developed, though? The level of usage wouldn't justify it currently, and the last decade doesn't give cause for optimism. Even before the pandemic, the airport's losses were on an increasing trend. The airport bus is notorious for its subsidy (which has fallen since launch, but is still high compared with other services), which doesn't imply there's a substantive market for rail - or at least, not one that would justify substantial capital investment.

The exile

Established Member
Is there any realistic likelihood of an airport link ever being developed, though? The level of usage wouldn't justify it currently, and the last decade doesn't give cause for optimism. Even before the pandemic, the airport's losses were on an increasing trend. The airport bus is notorious for its subsidy (which has fallen since launch, but is still high compared with other services), which doesn't imply there's a substantive market for rail - or at least, not one that would justify substantial capital investment.
While I doubt it’s enough to justify it here, rail’s selling point for an airport connection ( or similar) is that expression “permanent way”. Booking a flight 6 months or more out, I’m much more likely to trust that a rail link will still be there than a bus!

Envoy

Established Member
We just don’t know what will happen in the future - hence the reason why I say that land over which a loop in and out of the Airport should not be built upon. When they get the half hourly train service up and running on the VOG Coast Line, I really do wonder whether or not having the T9 bus link from Cardiff would be needed - just keep the bus link from Rhoose station to the Terminal.

Unfortunately, planning inspectors have over ruled the local Council in Somerset who refused the planned expansion of Bristol Airport. The Welsh Government objected to further expansion at Bristol Airport stating that plenty of spare capacity existed at Cardiff Airport. However, the Welsh Government are not prepared to build decent road links to the Airport and are indeed going to make M4 J33 clog up even more by having another business park on the north side of it when it really needs a flyover with the A4232.

About 3 years ago, I was met some people in Swansea who use Cardiff Airport to fly to a holiday home. When questioned about how they reach the Airport, they said train from Swansea to Cardiff and then T9 bus back out west again. Apparently, they were completely unaware that they had no need to go into Cardiff but could have taken the train direct from a change in Bridgend. I certainly hope that notices are put on Bridgend station in future for the ‘Train to Plain’ link for those people travelling to/from the west - which is of course cheaper and quicker than going via Cardiff.

The sooner the Metro is up and running with a half hourly service with the FLIRTS on this line, the better. It is also the shortest and quickest route between Barry and Bridgend for points west.

TravelDream

Unfortunately, planning inspectors have over ruled the local Council in Somerset who refused the planned expansion of Bristol Airport. The Welsh Government objected to further expansion at Bristol Airport stating that plenty of spare capacity existed at Cardiff Airport. However, the Welsh Government are not prepared to build decent road links to the Airport and are indeed going to make M4 J33 clog up even more by having another business park on the north side of it when it really needs a flyover with the A4232.

That council in Somerset are notoriously anti-airport and rule against everything airport related.
A rail link to Cardiff would be less useful than many other airports due to the type of passengers the airport receives.
The most likely passengers to take public transport are those for short visits carrying just hand luggage (i.e. weekend away type trips/ business trips). Their passenger numbers at Cardiff are tiny. The majority at Cardiff are going to the sun for a week or two. They'll a) have too much luggage and b) will likely take-off too early or land too late for the train.

Metro and the WG are far better off focusing limited investment money elsewhere. Though nobody knows what the future holds so the land should still be resevred for possible rail use.

Envoy

Established Member
Media Wales is reporting that the rail link across Central Square to link with the Bay branch is moving forward.

"A new connection from the south side of Cardiff Central across Callaghan Square will... be introduced to connect with the Bay Line, serving the Butetown community, employment at Capital Quarter, and the new Atlantic Wharf development, with a new interchange being established at Pierhead Street,"

TravelDream

The latest update on the TfW website says: "The first Metro extensions will be from Aberdare to Hirwaun, utilising the old freight line that used to serve the Tower Colliery."

It adds: "We hope to open up new and improved stations on the Core Valleys Network including Treforest Estate and Gabalfa and will look to increase frequencies on the City, Coryton, Maesteg and Ebbw Valley lines."

A new train station, Cardiff Parkway, is planned for St Mellons in east Cardiff, with journeys to Cardiff Central or Newport in just seven minutes. TfW hopes it will be built by 2024, and will run eight trains an hour to Cardiff and Newport.
More from the link above.

I didn't realise this was definitely going ahead. The line is obviously in place and owned by the Welsh Government and the local council has bought a large site to use as a station and park and ride in Trecynon. However, nothing concrete is in place.

Not to sound like a total cynic (and to involve politics), however, I wonder if these announcements have anything to do with the local elections coming up in May.

Envoy

Established Member
Not to sound like a total cynic (and to involve politics), however, I wonder if these announcements have anything to do with the local elections coming up in May.
You could well be right - whilst it has always been on the plans for the Central to Bay link and hopefully the Hirwaun extension, nothing has happened thus far. No wires have been erected, no new stations such as Ely Mill have opened and I don't think any stations have been modernised - such as having new toilets. Even at Cardiff Central, the toilet provision is not what you would expect at a major city. We do know that work is in progress at Taffs Wells depot site and work has been done on passing loops in the upper valleys. I know it is a massive project and I dare say work has taken place which is not immediately visible to the public, but I thought things might have progressed more by this stage.

Broseley man

You could well be right - whilst it has always been on the plans for the Central to Bay link and hopefully the Hirwaun extension, nothing has happened thus far. No wires have been erected, no new stations such as Ely Mill have opened and I don't think any stations have been modernised - such as having new toilets. Even at Cardiff Central, the toilet provision is not what you would expect at a major city. We do know that work is in progress at Taffs Wells depot site and work has been done on passing loops in the upper valleys. I know it is a massive project and I dare say work has taken place which is not immediately visible to the public, but I thought things might have progressed more by this stage.
It would be great to see some more pictures of work done or underway if any down in South Wales has the ability/capacity to do this.

More from the link above.

I don't think you sound like a cynic at all!

"Full steam ahead for Aberdare-Hirwaun link" in March 2011 (just before the 2011 Assembly elections)

WG launches Metro poster scheme in late 2015 (just before the 2016 Assembly election)

And don't get me started on the Brackla station site which actually had a turf cutting ceremony 21 years ago next month

Tomos y Tanc

"Full steam ahead for Aberdare-Hirwaun link" in March 2011 (just before the 2011 Assembly elections)

WG launches Metro poster scheme in late 2015 (just before the 2016 Assembly election)

And don't get me started on the Brackla station site which actually had a turf cutting ceremony 21 years ago next month
It's one of those glass half empty / glass half full kind of things.

Sure, it's easy to point at things that haven't happened but there are plenty of things that have progressed over the same time period.

The simple fact is that some things happen and some things don't while other take an inordinate time to deliver.

This weekend, for instance, saw the opening of the Caernarfon & Bontnewydd by-pass, a road first promised in the 1930s long before devolution or even the establisment of the Welsh Office.

It's one of those glass half empty / glass half full kind of things.

Sure, it's easy to point at things that haven't happened but there are plenty of things that have progressed over the same time period.

The simple fact is that some things happen and some things don't while other take an inordinate time to deliver.

This weekend, for instance, saw the opening of the Caernarfon & Bontnewydd by-pass, a road first promised in the 1930s long before devolution or even the establisment of the Welsh Office.

Absolutely you can look at things from each angle.

Genuine Question about roads, before we go back to railways. Who promised the Caernarfon by-pass in the 1930s and did they have the power to deliver it? Or was it spoken about in the 1930s as an aspiration by someone/body who had no power to actually build the thing?

Hirwaun and Brackla are both policies of the Welsh Government and have received cash above and beyond a feasibility study yet as of Feb 2022 there isn’t any firm timetable to actually get anything done about them.

I’d say that’s government spin rather than a glass half full/empty in my book. And I speak as a former Cardiff bubble politico.

anthony263

Established Member

Aparantly brackla station been delayed due to network rail saying they can’t fit the station in the current timetable. I’m sure they could now with the superior acceleration of the class 231’s

Envoy

Established Member
I expect that the Caernarfon & Bontnewydd by-pass would not have been built by the lot in power today as it would have encouraged car use and hence global warming. Well, that is what they said when they refused to build the short Llanbedr by-pass which would have taken through traffic out of this village between Barmouth & Harlech.

Anyway, back to the Metro and I note that nothing has been done to get going on a new station at Miskin - where the Renishaw factory car park could easily become the station car park with the factory having a new car park on the other side. (I would not like to see a business park at this location by M4 J34 which is not in Miskin village).

stuu

Established Member
Not a great example as Caernarfon had what is probably the most expensive inner relief road in Wales for a town of comparable size built in the 1970s

Media Wales is reporting that the rail link across Central Square to link with the Bay branch is moving forward.
Although I'm cautious about how long this may actually take, it's the first time it's been mentioned by TfW, previously being a Cardiff Council aspiration. Good to see some progress of sorts.

Has anyone heard anything about Cardiff Bay station? TfW had said they wouldn't build the new station at The Flourish if it was likely to be extended, which looks more likely now.

anthony263

Established Member
Although I'm cautious about how long this may actually take, it's the first time it's been mentioned by TfW, previously being a Cardiff Council aspiration. Good to see some progress of sorts.

Has anyone heard anything about Cardiff Bay station? TfW had said they wouldn't build the new station at The Flourish if it was likely to be extended, which looks more likely now.
Think they moving it again as the previous proposed new station stopped future extensions

WelshBluebird

Established Member
All this negativity (which I share some of to be honest) is why I wished they had promised small improvements and delivered on those first, rather than gone in big with the promises right at the start.
TfW (so the Welsh Government) are having to work against decades of the public in the area being let down time and time again, not helped by the first few years of them taking on the franchise being dogged by issues such as the removal of the pacers that they really should have foreseen. Granted some of the issues were total curveballs - like Covid. But surely they must have known the issues the franchise was facing and how big a challenge it would be to actually deliver some of their promises?
I'm a software developer and one thing that was drilled into me when I was more junior is that it is always better to underpromise and overdeliver, compared to overpromising and underdelivering.

59CosG95

Established Member
This is only partly related to the Metro works, but it's worth including nonetheless. https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...for-300m-welsh-stations-framework-23-02-2022/
Transport for Wales (TfW) is searching for contractors to join its £300M framework for works on railway stations around the country.
The Stations Modifications and Infrastructure Enhancements Framework is divided into seven lots. In each lot the award criteria is weighted 60% towards the responses to qualitative questions and 40% towards price.

The seven lots are:

Lot Number

Lot Title

Works will include (but not limited to):

1Pan Wales >£500,000 Non-Complex Station Projects
  • Branding: wayfinding, signage·
  • Facilities: shelters, seating, waiting rooms, bins, planters, WCs
  • Staff facilities: minor building and ancillary works
  • Sustainability: Photovaltic panels, rainwater harvesting, LED lighting
  • Social/Commercial development: Repurpose redundant space for community use
  • Car park and active travel: Provision of additional car parking spaces, provision of active travel facilities, EV charging points
  • Access ramps and accessible facilities
2North Wales <£500,000 Non-complex station projects(As above)
3South and west <£500,000 Non-complex station projects(As above)
4Pan Wales station information and security systems projects
  • CCTV renewal / upgrades
  • Public address system renewal / upgrades
  • Customer information system renewal / upgrades
5Core Valley Lines structure interventions
  • Condition surveys of structures to establish integrity
  • Option selection report for remedial work to structures outline and detailed design for structures
  • Implementation works to rectify structures:
    • steelwork repairs
    • grit blasting
    • painting
    • concrete repairs
    • bearing repair and replacement
    • pier and abutment repairs
    • other repairs to lineside structures
    • extension/repair to undertrack culverts
    • associated ancillary and temporary work
  • Customer information system renewal / upgrades
6Core Valley Lines major station works
  • Provision of new stations (excluding trackwork):
    • enabling works and site clearance
    • new platforms and ramps
    • new station facilities
  • Expansion / refurbishment of new stations:
    • enabling works and site clearance
    • new platforms and ramps
    • new station facilities
    • minor building works and re-purposing of structures
7TfW infrastructure owner works
  • Works to ensure the operation of the structure
    • structures
    • earthworks and drainage
    • track
    • access point and road rail access points
    • fencing
    • buildings and property
    • vegetation management

TfW envisions 21 as the maximum number of participants on the framework. The contracts will run for 48 months with an optional 12 month extension.

The deadline to apply for the framework is 23 March 2022. Interest in the framework can be recorded on the Sell2Wales website.
(We should be seeing the new TfW branding become more widespread as a result of this, font fans!)

krus_aragon

Established Member
This makes me think that GBR branding will not be distributed in Wales, then?
Maybe not that surprising, given that Westminster decided to implement a new rail brand after the Welsh (and Scottish) Government had come up with their own, and apparently without discussing it beforehand.

(There is a certain poetry in the thought that Great British signage will be seen all over England...)

anthony263

Established Member
The vale of Glamorgan council have sold the railway depot and the tourist railway at Barry to TFW however the tourist railway will still be allowed to use it. This for the stabling etc of the class 756s.

Hopefully it means Barry island station can be improved including allowing mainline services to use more of the platform.

Link to the article below:

Tomos y Tanc

The vale of Glamorgan council have sold the railway depot and the tourist railway at Barry to TFW however the tourist railway will still be allowed to use it. This for the stabling etc of the class 756s.

Hopefully it means Barry island station can be improved including allowing mainline services to use more of the platform.

Link to the article below:

Sounds like bad news for Rhymney and suggestions the fleet could be stabled at the top end of the line. This sounds very last minute so I wonder what, if anything, has changed?

Good news for Barry Island station though.

WesternBiker

Good news for Barry Island station though.
Hopefully, though the proposal outlined here doesn't include any specifics (I note the local councillor's concerns about noise to the nearby housing development).

What is going to happen to all the redundant coal wagons currently stored along the tracks, I wonder?

D6130

Established Member
What is going to happen to all the redundant coal wagons currently stored along the tracks, I wonder?
It's only a short journey to Sims....unless some of them can be used for new stone traffic flows. If they're ex-EWS wagons, they will only have buckeye couplers and no buffers and therefore will be of no interest to other operators.

DaiBee

Some tangible electrification work in the form of overhead wire gantries at Treforest, gone up over the last couple of weeks.

IMG_20220302_084555.jpg