• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Tomos y Tanc

I notice the advertising for Hancocks Beers on the bridge in question. I don't think that even exists as a separate brewery anymore, does it? As you say, probably hasn't been repainted for years.
It hasn't existed since the 1970s when it became part of Welsh Brewers which was in turn owned by Bass. Welsh Brewers itself disappeared in the 1990s when its brewery was sold to Brains.One of their brands, Hancocks HB, survived the demise and is brewed these days by the Glamorgan brewery.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjp4

It’s quite a downgrade from the previous plan, but there are prospective lines indicated (in purple below) for “future continuation to Pier Head Street" plus a potential platform 3, so at least they’ve left space to allow that to happen if/when needed.

View attachment 116622

It does mean the only small section of on-road running in the whole scheme has been removed though, so the tram-trains will not actually run as trams for a long while yet.

Full plans.
I was wondering if it would be line of sight operation but in the last document showing the junction with the line between Central and Queen St it references Network Rail standards and also shows clearance considerations for the class 755 Flirts so I suspect not tram operations, which would be great to see especially when the arena opens to have trians from the Rhymney line able to get down there.

Envoy

Established Member
The plans for the Cardiff Bay branch look good to me. I note that they now plan to have overhead electrification on this branch rather than the battery power originally intended. I also see that the wall on Bute Street will remain - rather than the tracks being brought down to street level. All for the good as it keeps the railway segregated for safety reasons. The big question now is how and where will they build a link from this line to Cardiff Central that avoids if possible the roads/traffic jams? If that could be determined now, then surely they could insert the points for this link into this re-build of the Bay branch and therefore maintain services in the future rather than cause another closure?

anthony263

Established Member
The plans for the Cardiff Bay branch look good to me. I note that they now plan to have overhead electrification on this branch rather than the battery power originally intended. I also see that the wall on Bute Street will remain - rather than the tracks being brought down to street level. All for the good as it keeps the railway segregated for safety reasons. The big question now is how and where will they build a link from this line to Cardiff Central that avoids if possible the roads/traffic jams? If that could be determined now, then surely they could insert the points for this link into this re-build of the Bay branch and therefore maintain services in the future rather than cause another closure?
I think that’s what they will be doing. Hopefully money can be found to remodel Cardiff west junction so we can get more trains on the city line

ancientsolar

I think that’s what they will be doing. Hopefully money can be found to remodel Cardiff west junction so we can get more trains on the city line
Can we have elevated tram platforms at Central ? I guess that keeps them level with the existing platforms, could be incorporated into a remodelling of Central while not interfering with the road network ?

anthony263

Established Member
Can we have elevated tram platforms at Central ? I guess that keeps them level with the existing platforms, could be incorporated into a remodelling of Central while not interfering with the road network ?
Build a viaduct with a station next to the southern side of central station near to the old riverside platforms then carry on and join the bay line by Callaghan square

59CosG95

Established Member
Three TTC booms have gone up along the City Line where it crosses the SWML at Leckwith North Jn. Don't know how far the masts extend towards Ninian Park.

anthony263

Established Member
Three TTC booms have gone up along the City Line where it crosses the SWML at Leckwith North Jn. Don't know how far the masts extend towards Ninian Park.
Think Ninian park is the cut off point shame they don’t wire all the way to central station

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Think Ninian park is the cut off point shame they don’t wire all the way to central station
I believe they are only electrifying parts of the infrastructure that are part of the Core Valley Lines transferred from Network Rail. So that precludes electrification into Central (although electrification into Central would probably be inconsistent with the thinking that all the relatively complex bits are left unwired, such as at Queen St).

Dai Corner

Established Member
I believe they are only electrifying parts of the infrastructure that are part of the Core Valley Lines transferred from Network Rail. So that precludes electrification into Central (although electrification into Central would probably be inconsistent with the thinking that all the relatively complex bits are left unwired, such as at Queen St).
That's right I think. The Welsh Government won't pay Network Rail to electrify any of their lines; politics over practicality.

II

Having spent a couple of days roaming the Valley Lines, my interest in this project has shot up.

Without searching through all 134 pages of this thread, has anyone linked to any documents that show in detail what stretches of line are to be electrified, redoubled, have passing loops installed and more details on any resignalling? It might be an idea to have someone in the know provide a detailed summary of what the current plan and timescales are (seeing that they are starting to slip) as a bit of a thread 'reset' to bring everyone up to speed?

Thanks in advance...

snowball

Established Member
There's a good map in #3440, but that was more than a year ago so there may be more up to date versions.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
According to the Sectional Appendix, the boundary is at RAD 1m 20ch (1 & 1/4 MP).
For context, Waun-Gron Park is at RAD 2m 25ch, Leckwith Loop South Jn is at RAD 0m 69ch and Ninian Park at RAD 0m 63ch. (See below)
1656502143151.png
(Image Shows extract from Western & Wales Sectional Appendix - LOR GW840, Seq. 002 (Radyr Jn to Cardiff, Radyr Branch Jn via City Lines))

According to abcrailways.co.uk, the bridge over Sanatorium Rd is RAD 1m 24ch (1m 578yds) "Grosvenor Rd"; that should in theory be the last bridge before the wires end.

Also - 4000th post on the thread!

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
I see that a new transport interchange is planned at Caerphilly station. No mention of any protected route for a metro line going east to Newport (as originally planned) making use of the Machen quarry line. Anyway, pleased to se the plans for improvements at Caerphilly.
the-interchange-corridor
We are seeking your views on the existing station and what improvements you would like to see as part of your new interchange. We are also keen to learn more about the transport modes used, the journeys people make, and who makes them. Please click the link below to “Have Your Say” as part of the first step in our Community Engagement for Caerphilly Interchange. You can also view our ‘Design Springboards’ found in Project Files to learn about some of our initial thinking and ideas.

Cardiff123

Established Member
That's right I think. The Welsh Government won't pay Network Rail to electrify any of their lines; politics over practicality.
Or talking about it in the correct way, DfT won't pay Network Rail to electrify their own infrastructure, hence why the VoG and Penarth lines are not being electrified, even though it makes operational sense. Welsh Govt own the CVL and have secured the funding from various sources to electrify it. DfT and NR own anything outside of the CVL boundary. It's not up to Welsh Govt to pay for infrastructure improvements to DfT owned infrastructure, that's for the DfT and UK Govt to pay for.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Or talking about it in the correct way, DfT won't pay Network Rail to electrify their own infrastructure, hence why the VoG and Penarth lines are not being electrified, even though it makes operational sense. Welsh Govt own the CVL and have secured the funding from various sources to electrify it. DfT and NR own anything outside of the CVL boundary. It's not up to Welsh Govt to pay for infrastructure improvements to DfT owned infrastructure, that's for the DfT and UK Govt to pay for.
On the other hand, Network Rail can accept funding from anybody to pay for improvements. Would the Welsh Government save money over the lifetime of the new trains by paying for electrification and running straight EMUs instead of bi-modes and battery-electric units?

AlexNL

Established Member
The question is whether Network Rail would accept TfW's ideas for electrification "on the cheap" (by ignoring the complex bits) as NR have to consider everyone's interests whereas TfW basically only have to look at their own. This directly impacts the prices quoted for the work.

sefyllian

Would the Welsh Government save money over the lifetime of the new trains by paying for electrification and running straight EMUs instead of bi-modes and battery-electric units?
Unlikely, because there will be significant gaps in the electrification of the Valleys lines which require batteries anyway. The general approach seems to be to wire the easy bits, and rely on battery for the difficult/expensive bits (old bridges, tunnels etc), so they’ve presumably already worked out that’s cheaper than wiring absolutely everything. Cardiff Central may well have been one of the difficult/expensive bits anyway, regardless of who owns or runs it.

StKeverne1497

I see that a new transport interchange is planned at Caerphilly station. No mention of any protected route for a metro line going east to Newport (as originally planned) making use of the Machen quarry line. Anyway, pleased to se the plans for improvements at Caerphilly.
the-interchange-corridor
Short-sighted. Architectural trophy building (a hotel? really??) rather than real practicality. Not only do they appear to have abandoned the Newport link idea, they also appear to be building empty offices on the park & ride - with no obvious location for a new P&R, unless I've seriously misread something. It's a very heavily-used P&R as well. There is plenty of room for new offices on the tar plant site and as I understand it there are still empty buildings on the Van Road site anyway.

The biggest thing that would make Caerphilly "better"? Sorting out the narrow pavement at the bus station so you don't have to weave your way through queues when walking. Giving it walls (that is, turning the canopy into a conservatory) might help stop smoking & vaping as it gets rather muggy under that canopy. It's quite unpleasant.

Envoy

Established Member
Short-sighted. Architectural trophy building (a hotel? really??) rather than real practicality. Not only do they appear to have abandoned the Newport link idea, they also appear to be building empty offices on the park & ride - with no obvious location for a new P&R, unless I've seriously misread something. It's a very heavily-used P&R as well. There is plenty of room for new offices on the tar plant site and as I understand it there are still empty buildings on the Van Road site anyway.
The Welsh Government are anti-car (despite cars gradually going electric) so I guess they would be pleased to see the P&R reduced/removed. What they fail to appreciate is that for many people, having plenty of guaranteed free parking at the rail station determines whether or not they switch to the train/metro or continue the whole of their journey by car. So, by removing parking at Caerphilly, they are making the Metro less desirable and increasing the traffic on the road network - which in this case means mainly into Cardiff.

Broseley man

Pictures from Llandaf visit 7 July 2022. There were no trains running, it's around 9pm so apologies for the picture quality. You can see the work on the canopy structure and various new masts installed.

An update of mast erection either side of College Road Bridge between Llandaf and Cathays. This was right at the end of the day so poor light.

Pictures from Llandaf visit 7 July 2022. There were no trains running, it's around 9pm so apologies for the picture quality. You can see the work on the canopy structure and various new masts installed.

An update of mast erection either side of College Road Bridge between Llandaf and Cathays. This was right at the end of the day so poor light.
Here's some more from College Road bridge between Llandaf and Cathays.

Attachments

• Llandaf 1.jpg
    Llandaf 1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 178
  • Llandaf 2.jpg
    Llandaf 2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 178
  • llandaf 3.jpg
    llandaf 3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Car2.jpg
    Car2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 109
  • car3.jpg
    car3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 103
  • car3.jpg
    car3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Car2.jpg
    Car2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 85
  • car3.jpg
    car3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 84
  • college1.jpg
    college1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Broseley man

To add to @Broseley man's pictures, here's some more from Flickr.
https://flic.kr/p/2nxcbYz - looking north from Waun-Gron Park, lots of masts now up. Even Earth Wire supports are going in.
https://flic.kr/p/2nxcb4Z - looking east at Llandaf, one of the masts you mentioned, @Broseley man, has now gained a boom.
Thanks for the two photos. It's great to see what appears to be rapid progress now. Is anyone able to say if what we see here IS rapid progress? I'm a very occasional visitor with zero inside knowledge. It would be good to hear from someone who can give an overview.

59CosG95

Established Member

Cardiff Canton OLE due to start appearing from September.

A visit to Canton Rail Depot in Cardiff today where BAM Nuttall are delivering improvements to the existing depot for Amey on behalf of Transport for Wales. A wide variety of works progressing, requiring a range of disciplines, fully supported by our valued supply chain. Over the past few months, the storage shed has been completed, along with roads A&B new track realignment with points and switches. Work is progressing well with the cladding and fit out of the new stores and offices, and phase 2 shore supplies installation of UTX’s and troughing for the charging of TfW’s new train fleet. All within the challenging environment of a busy live rail depot! OLE will commence in September with the piling and erection of 25 Gantries, catenary wires and further trackwork.

I can't link any images sadly as they're all .jfif files.

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
Does anyone know if the proposed station at Ely Mill (City Line) won funding from Round Three of the New Stations Fund? I understand that successful stations are to be completed within CP6 with a deadline for completion by April 2024. Does the fact that the Welsh Government own this section of line make this irrelevant? No work has even started on constructing a station at Ely Mill.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Does anyone know if the proposed station at Ely Mill (City Line) won funding from Round Three of the New Stations Fund? I understand that successful stations are to be completed within CP6 with a deadline for completion by April 2024. Does the fact that the Welsh Government own this section of line make this irrelevant? No work has even started on constructing a station at Ely Mill.
It wasn't successful in Round Three, or any other rounds of the New Stations Fund.

It was on a Welsh list of 12 priority stations (April 2017), and a shortlist of 5 on the Welsh Government New Railway Station Prioritisation.

Work to start on the new Cardiff Bay and Loudoun Square station.

Work to upgrade a Cardiff railway station will begin this autumn, and construction of a new station in the city will start before the end of the year.
Transport for Wales (TfW) said the new two-platform station will be built in the north of Butetown, near Maria Street.
The existing Cardiff Bay station will get a second platform, as well as a new signage and customer information screens.
TfW said it will work with residents to choose a name for the new station.
“From 2024 we’ll be providing a smoother, greener, modern public transport service which will open up a range of opportunities for people living in Butetown and the wider Cardiff Bay area," said TfW Chief Executive James Price.
The new track will allow faster and more frequent services, TfW said, using new tram-trains.
However, the upgrade will not connect Cardiff Central directly to Cardiff Bay.
Services will continue to run as work is carried out and a new timetable is expected to be in place from spring 2024.