• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Similar masts have appeared at Llandaff including some beams with extended arms that have had to be placed further away from the track.

It’s actually happening!

Envoy

Established Member
The masts look very similar to those on the GWML - which were criticised for being ugly and expensive. I thought a less obtrusive design would have been used.

59CosG95

Established Member
The masts look very similar to those on the GWML - which were criticised for being ugly and expensive. I thought a less obtrusive design would have been used.

The back-to-back twin cantilevers look more MML than GWML.
These are definitely more MML/NWEP than GWML. The only GWML parts I can foresee being used in the Valleys are the Single Insulator "gooseneck" Cantilevers; these were the preferred choice for use within stations due to their much smaller envelope of live equipment.
IIRC GWEP had to use the same back-to-back TTCs in the East Usk Yard area as the Series 1 range didn't have an equivalent design.

A bit of a history lesson - those TTCs were actually introduced in the late '60s/early '70s with the MkIII/Mk3 range on the Lea Valley, although they had spanwires and a 'nose' at the end to support said spanwire.
They've stayed through the MkIII range and been added to the UK1, Series 2 and UKMS ranges - the only modern change being the non-allocation of the 'nose' - but the bolt holes where the 'nose' would be attached still remain on the drawing.

Talk about a design classic!

stuu

Established Member
Radyr has had quite the transformation in the last couple of weeks:

Pictures taken 22/08/22: https://flic.kr/p/2nHPHaS, https://flic.kr/p/2nHPH9z
and on 29/08/22: https://flic.kr/p/2nHgAaT

Hats off to the design team for using "back to back" twin-track cantilever masts - thereby keeping the number of foundations down!
Good to see progress. There's obviously some trick of perspective going on, as they look absolutely enormous in the shot from the footbridge, but as I would expect in the shot from the platform

Envoy

Established Member
These are definitely more MML/NWEP than GWML. The only GWML parts I can foresee being used in the Valleys are the Single Insulator "gooseneck" Cantilevers; these were the preferred choice for use within stations due to their much smaller envelope of live equipment.
IIRC GWEP had to use the same back-to-back TTCs in the East Usk Yard area as the Series 1 range didn't have an equivalent design.

A bit of a history lesson - those TTCs were actually introduced in the late '60s/early '70s with the MkIII/Mk3 range on the Lea Valley, although they had spanwires and a 'nose' at the end to support said spanwire.
They've stayed through the MkIII range and been added to the UK1, Series 2 and UKMS ranges - the only modern change being the non-allocation of the 'nose' - but the bolt holes where the 'nose' would be attached still remain on the drawing.

Talk about a design classic!
Many thanks for the info.

Legolash2o

Here's a response to an FOI request:

Can you please provide any information about where TfW is currently electrifying on the Metro network (boots on the ground / piling masts)?

TfW are currently installing overhead line electrification (OLE) foundations between the following locations:
o Radyr >> Pontypridd >> Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil;
o Radyr >> Cardiff Queen Street >> Ninian Park.

Installation of OLE masts and wiring is progressing between the following locations:
o Abercynon >> Merthyr Tydfil.

Enabling works are underway are the following locations:
o Pontypridd >> Treherbert;
o Cardiff Queen Street >> Rhymney (inclusive of the Coryton branch);
with foundation installation due to start imminently on these sections.

There will be discontinuous electrification within the routes mentioned. The first energisation is planned for August 2023, whilst later works are being re-phased to ensure the most efficient planning and delivery of these works across all disciplines involved. As such, timescales beyond August 2023 are not available at present.

anthony263

Established Member
Here's a response to an FOI request:

Can you please provide any information about where TfW is currently electrifying on the Metro network (boots on the ground / piling masts)?

TfW are currently installing overhead line electrification (OLE) foundations between the following locations:
o Radyr >> Pontypridd >> Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil;
o Radyr >> Cardiff Queen Street >> Ninian Park.

Installation of OLE masts and wiring is progressing between the following locations:
o Abercynon >> Merthyr Tydfil.

Enabling works are underway are the following locations:
o Pontypridd >> Treherbert;
o Cardiff Queen Street >> Rhymney (inclusive of the Coryton branch);
with foundation installation due to start imminently on these sections.

There will be discontinuous electrification within the routes mentioned. The first energisation is planned for August 2023, whilst later works are being re-phased to ensure the most efficient planning and delivery of these works across all disciplines involved. As such, timescales beyond August 2023 are not available at present.
I think we probably see the Aberdare branch wired first by the sounds of it

59CosG95

Established Member
Big news. Big. HUGE.
The first Catenary & Contact wires have gone up, somewhere between Radyr & Pontypridd (looks to be just after the line crosses the Taff north of Taff's Well). https://www.linkedin.com/posts/rich...Wo?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

First C&C wires are up in R2P Route Section (Sunday 18/9) and second wire run going up today on the Valley Lines with beautiful weather!

Well done to the CVL engineering and construction teams!!
Image preview

Image preview

Image preview

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Whilst all of the progress is great, it is worth saying TfW are losing a lot of good will with passengers at the moment with how poor the rail replacement buses required because of the works are. Gaps of almost 90 minutes in the early evening between Pontypridd and Cardiff (actually timetabled as that, not just because one didnt show or anything), people being left behind because the bus is full after waiting for over an hour, minibuses being sent out on rush hour trips etc etc. If this carries on nobody will be left using the trains when the works are finished.

Envoy

Established Member
Practically no publicity was given to this big shutdown of the valley lines for those who don’t normally use the trains. It has not been mentioned on TV - BBC or ITV Wales to the best of my knowledge. (Neither have they mentioned the problems at on the London line while BBC Bristol do in their Breakfast insert).

Markdvdman

I can testify how bad it is! The 4:30pm Coach Cardiff to Ponty was booked for all stops but they changed it to direct to Pontypridd. Left 13 mins late, and he proceeded to drive THROUGH Cardiff instead of avoiding it! It got to Ponty at 5:55pm when it wa supposed to be 5:38pm all stops!! There is no integration, that was for the Merthyr train - no cohesion at all if the bus is too late for the train. It is VERY badly organised indeed and to do it 4 days running at peak time is crazy! As said, there will be people who will stay stuff the trains in future - and not advertising the fact except on Twitter is pathetic!

Signal_Box

Big news. Big. HUGE.
The first Catenary & Contact wires have gone up, somewhere between Radyr & Pontypridd (looks to be just after the line crosses the Taff north of Taff's Well). https://www.linkedin.com/posts/rich...Wo?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

A wonderful sight, again it’s just a shame a proper full fat system couldn’t of been pushed forward instead of the cut price budget scheme we’re getting.

To a budget springs to mind, look how that worked out on the Docklands Light Railway years of catch up behind increasing passenger numbers.

59CosG95

Established Member
A wonderful sight, again it’s just a shame a proper full fat system couldn’t of been pushed forward instead of the cut price budget scheme we’re getting.

To a budget springs to mind, look how that worked out on the Docklands Light Railway years of catch up behind increasing passenger numbers.
At each Permanently Earthed Section, the wires are physically going beneath every affected bridge. My assumption is that if there needs to be a reconstruction, the PES in question could be removed.
Still a shame that TfW couldn't do the section into Central.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Rode the three upper valley lines north of Ponty this morning.

On the Merthyr branch there's quite a bit of metalwork south of Abercynon now, and lots more piles in place too. Northwards work on the two new double track sections is well underway, both the section between Merthyr and Pentrebach (which is just about the whole route between the two stations), and then a dynamic passing loop centred on Quaker's Yard.

On the Cynon Valley branch the most advanced work is again at the top of the branch, with double tracking from immediately south of Aberdare to just short of Cwmbach well underway. Work is also underway to extend the Mountain Ash loop northwards to just short of Fernhill. I couldn't see any evidence of work between Mountain Ash and Abercynon though, which surprised me, as that appears too long a section for a 15 min frequency. Again, lots of uprights are in place at various places.

Finally it was up the Rhondda Valley, which in contrast was a real disappointment. I didn't spot any earthworks or electrification work anywhere on either side of the line.

It's quite remarkable to think that in a couple of years there will be 8 electric services an hour between Abercynon and Pontypridd, whereas wind back 40 years and there was just the one.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Finally it was up the Rhondda Valley, which in contrast was a real disappointment. I didn't spot any earthworks or electrification work anywhere on either side of the line.
I had heard (I forget where) that due to the amount of work planned to be done between Porth and Treherbert (electrification, new platform for Treherbert, abolition of the EKST signalling system, etc.) it was planned to have a blockade of considerable length on that section of line. The last I heard was that the block was planned to start before the end of this year - I don't know if that will be the case - and last at least between 4 and 6 months. If such a blocklade is indeed going to happen then I guess any work at the top end of the Rhondda Valley will be done then.

Dave

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It's quite remarkable to think that in a couple of years there will be 8 electric services an hour between Abercynon and Pontypridd, whereas wind back 40 years and there was just the one.

Pendantically, 40 years ago there were no electric services between Abercynon and Pontypridd! ;)

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Fair point! Should have said one diesel service (which at the nadir of the Valley Lines service turned around at Abercynon on alternate hours).

Western 52

Fair point! Should have said one diesel service (which at the nadir of the Valley Lines service turned around at Abercynon on alternate hours).
Some of the 1970s timetables had only 1 per hour between Pontypridd and Cardiff. Usually a 6 car set which split at Pontypridd for Merthyr and Treherbert.

Envoy

Established Member
Two photos of the Taff’s Well depot from the south-east. Looks well behind schedule.

Attachments

• METRO TAFF'S WELL DEPOT FROM SE 1.jpeg
    METRO TAFF'S WELL DEPOT FROM SE 1.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 155
  • METRO TAFF'S WELL DEPOT FROM SE 2.jpeg
    METRO TAFF'S WELL DEPOT FROM SE 2.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 151

2T57

Some of the 1970s timetables had only 1 per hour between Pontypridd and Cardiff. Usually a 6 car set which split at Pontypridd for Merthyr and Treherbert.
The 1973 timetable shows around 38 weekday services in each direction between Cardiff and Pontypridd.

For a period in the 70s (but not in 1973) hourly six-car services ran non-stop from Queen Street to Pontypridd where the units would indeed split for Merthyr and Treherbert. In addition, an hourly stopper served stations between Queen Street and Pontypridd.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Like this (from the May 69 to May 70 timetable). Sorry I've cut off the Rhondda branch timings, but you can just see a Trehafod call at the top right, showing that the two services joined at Pontypridd.

20 mins from Pontypridd seems very attractive, but bad luck if you wanted to go from (say) Abercynon to Treforest - 44 mins!
Screenshot 2022-09-25 224344.png

Broseley man

Like this (from the May 69 to May 70 timetable). Sorry I've cut off the Rhondda branch timings, but you can just see a Trehafod call at the top right, showing that the two services joined at Pontypridd.

20 mins from Pontypridd seems very attractive, but bad luck if you wanted to go from (say) Abercynon to Treforest - 44 mins!
View attachment 121268
Brilliant to see this timetable. It reminded me that Cathays station is relatively recent, opening in 1983.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I had heard (I forget where) that due to the amount of work planned to be done between Porth and Treherbert (electrification, new platform for Treherbert, abolition of the EKST signalling system, etc.) it was planned to have a blockade of considerable length on that section of line. The last I heard was that the block was planned to start before the end of this year - I don't know if that will be the case - and last at least between 4 and 6 months. If such a blocklade is indeed going to happen then I guess any work at the top end of the Rhondda Valley will be done then.

Dave
It would be nice for them to actually tell people if that is the plan! (and god help the chaos that will cause based on last weeks Cardiff - Pontypridd replacement buses).
I really do think they should be being much more upfront with passengers about how long all of this is going to take and the disruption it will cause. Granted the plan may change, but the current way of just basically drip feeding the disruption info to people like this feels pretty disingenuous.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Brilliant to see this timetable. It reminded me that Cathays station is relatively recent, opening in 1983.
Also Cefn On hadn't been replaced by Lisvane and Thornhill and Coryton trains ran to Bute Road - something that's been revived for some of the 'Covid' timetables.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Apart from the City Line and the Cynon Valley branch and the Vale of Glamorgan route, there are a few other stations that didn't exist then. The transformation over the last 40 years of the lines radiating from Cardiff has been remarkable, even before the current improvements.