• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

davetheguard

Established Member
Apart from the City Line and the Cynon Valley branch and the Vale of Glamorgan route, there are a few other stations that didn't exist then. The transformation over the last 40 years of the lines radiating from Cardiff has been remarkable, even before the current improvements.

Plus the Ebbw Vale line from Newport, if that counts as South Wales Metro, and I'm not sure if it does or not.

Can anyone on here comment about progress in double tracking bits of the Ebbw line? I bought a recent copy of Modern Railways as it had an article in it about South Wales, but unfortunately, & rather surprisingly, it made no mention of the line at all.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Plus the Ebbw Vale line from Newport, if that counts as South Wales Metro, and I'm not sure if it does or not.

Can anyone on here comment about progress in double tracking bits of the Ebbw line? I bought a recent copy of Modern Railways as it had an article in it about South Wales, but unfortunately, & rather surprisingly, it made no mention of the line at all.

I focussed on the routes which radiate from Cardiff - both Ebbw Vale and Maesteg services start from Cardiff but split from the main line some distance away. But it's a good point - the improvement in South East Wales has been even more dramatic than just the "Valley Lines".

Yes, that was quite an omission in Modern Railway re Ebbw Vale and I can't help you there, other than I believe work is finally underway after a hiatus of several years after the work was stopped abruptly.

oglord

both Ebbw Vale and Maesteg services start from Cardiff but split from the main line some distance away.
Well, they don't really start from Cardiff at all, not in terms of where the branches end, or necessarily where the services go. The only lines traditionally considered 'Valley Lines' were those that passed through Cardiff Queen St.

Well, they don't really start from Cardiff at all, not in terms of where the branches end, or necessarily where the services go. The only lines traditionally considered 'Valley Lines' were those that passed through Cardiff Queen St.
Lines through Queen Street are Core Valley Lines (CVL) so Ebbw Vale and Maesteg are non-core I assume.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
That’s exactly why I didn’t include Ebbw Vale in my original comment but caveated it accordingly. I was focusing on the “Valley Lines” (or Table 130 if you want to think of it that way.)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is there going to be an upgrade of the junction at the north end of Queen Street as part of the metro project. There seem to be a few places on the Valley Lines network through the Heath / Cathays to Cogan core where delays accumulate and running more trains doesn't sound like that is going to get better.

As ever with electrification projects the siting of the first supports always seems a bit random with a few put up, then gaps, then a few more.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Is there going to be an upgrade of the junction at the north end of Queen Street as part of the metro project. There seem to be a few places on the Valley Lines network through the Heath / Cathays to Cogan core where delays accumulate and running more trains doesn't sound like that is going to get better.

As ever with electrification projects the siting of the first supports always seems a bit random with a few put up, then gaps, then a few more.
I don't think there is room for an upgrade, without rebuilding Newport Road bridge (not part of the project). But I would imagine that the trams (and to a lesser extent the heavier units) will be much fleeter of foot in accelerating, so will clear the junction faster after leaving Queen St, and coming south if required to wait for their slot will again clear it faster once given a green.

WesternBiker

I don't think there is room for an upgrade, without rebuilding Newport Road bridge (not part of the project). But I would imagine that the trams (and to a lesser extent the heavier units) will be much fleeter of foot in accelerating, so will clear the junction faster after leaving Queen St, and coming south if required to wait for their slot will again clear it faster once given a green.
It would also help if train dispatch was a bit slicker: certainly at Cardiff Central, platform dispatch on the Valleys Lines often seems very relaxed - I've watched on-time services dawdle at greens for over a minute on platforms 7 and 8, then depart late, for no apparent reason. The approach appears very different from that at Clapham Junction.

59CosG95

Established Member
I'm being slow this morning. What's TSS?
Track Sectioning Site. "TSC" (Track Sectioning Cabin/Cabinet) is exactly the same thing with a different name.

Engineering works update: Merthyr Branch north of Abercynon to be closed from next Tuesday until early November. https://news.tfw.wales/news/line-closure-between-abercynon-and-merthyr-tydfil

06 Oct 2022​

Transport for Wales (TfW) is continuing to move forward with the building of the South Wales Metro with major works being undertaken across the Core Valley Lines (CVL).

From Tuesday 11 October to Thursday 3 November 2022, the railway line between Abercynon and Merthyr Tydfil will be closed to allow heavy engineering works to take place, as part of preparations for the introduction of brand-new electric tram-trains. During this period TfW will be operating a rail replacement bus service calling at all stations on this line.

The 25-day closure will allow engineers to carry out complex work including the completion of the remaining foundations and the steel post installations for Overhead Line Equipment, new track works for switches and crossings at Pentrebach and Quakers Yard, further work to construct the new platform at Quakers Yard, improvement works at other stations, line speed improvements and devegetation across the line.

Major blockades help reduce the need for night working as much as possible, reducing the need to disturb line-side neighbours overnight.

The investment in the Metro will significantly improve connectivity providing access to jobs, leisure and other opportunities for the people of Wales, through unifying rail, bus and active travel routes.

The project has been part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund through Welsh Government.

More information about Metro is available on our website, including a blog article answering some frequently asked questions about the Metro transformation work.

Last edited:

mrmartin

Any updates on Crwys Road station? Haven't heard anything and surely construction must be starting soon if it was to hit the Dec 2023 timeline?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Engineering works update: Merthyr Branch north of Abercynon to be closed from next Tuesday until early November. https://news.tfw.wales/news/line-closure-between-abercynon-and-merthyr-tydfil
I know I am being quite critical in this thread, but seriously 5 days notice for a 25 day closure? That can't be right? Was this advertised elsewhere before that press release? Surely all of this should be being planned well upfront with significant advance notice given to passengers (IMO notice of at least the amount of time the closure is for - so a 25 day closure should get at least 25 days notice). I really am optimistic of the end point of all of this, but I really really do not like how the disruption itself is being managed. Maybe my views are a little misplaced if they did give more notice for this specific closure, but the general point still stands from what I've seen and experienced over recent months.

Last edited:

Metro95

I know I am being quite critical in this thread, but seriously 5 days notice for a 25 day closure? That can't be right? Was this advertised elsewhere before that press release? Surely all of this should be being planned well upfront with significant advance notice given to passengers (IMO notice of at least the amount of time the closure is for - so a 25 day closure should get at least 25 days notice). I really am optimistic of the end point of all of this, but I really really do not like how the disruption itself is being managed. Maybe my views are a little misplaced if they did give more notice for this specific closure, but the general point still stands from what I've seen and experienced over recent months.
I agree that 5 days notice for a 25 day closure can't be right and that notice should be given of at least the amount of time the closure is for.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I would imagine it has been in the "engineering works" bit of the website for at least a couple of weeks or so beforehand.

Dave

The exile

Established Member
I would imagine it has been in the "engineering works" bit of the website for at least a couple of weeks or so beforehand.

Dave
It certainly contrasts with the massive publicity just over the Severn for the 2021 Bristol blockade- which was considerably shorter.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It certainly contrasts with the massive publicity just over the Severn for the 2021 Bristol blockade- which was considerably shorter.
To be fair, there's a bit of a difference between what amounted to a near complete closure of the busiest station in the whole of the west of England for 6 weeks and an 8 mile branch line. The number of passengers affected, both in terms of passenger journeys, and individuals (the Merthyr line will have a greater proportion of regular travellers - the Bristol area more occasional passengers), would be at least one if not two orders of magnitude larger.

So the two are in no way comparable.

cjp4

Has been mentioned in a few of the papers and proposals but TFW publicly announcing the intentions for the Hirwaun extension. TFW Latest News.

Will be interesting to see how this progresses and if the tram capabilites of the Citylinks will come into there own here.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Will be interesting to see how this progresses and if the tram capabilites of the Citylinks will come into there own here.
Given the link says "bringing back into use the existing rail track", I suspect the tram conversation isn't relevant at all here. The plan will be to reuse the existing heavy rail line only I'd have thought.

59CosG95

Established Member
The new replacement Devil's Footbridge (over the route between Pontypridd & Taff's Well) has now been landed; the deck was installed 2 weeks ago. (pics from LinkedIn)
1665575501304.png
1665575577978.png

Among other developments (also from LinkedIn):
The Feeder Station at Tonteg (which connects to the 275kV National Grid Compound at Upper Boat) has had its under track crossing (UTX) constructed. (also 2 weeks ago)
1665576083640.png

The Main Span of Brook Street footbridge, at Ystrad Rhondda station, has also been removed. (this took place a month ago)
1665576265354.png

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
Given the link says "bringing back into use the existing rail track", I suspect the tram conversation isn't relevant at all here. The plan will be to reuse the existing heavy rail line only I'd have thought.
Almost certainly, but won't they be able to have level crossings and foot crossings etc? And light rail signalling

rf_ioliver

The new replacement Devil's Footbridge (over the route between Pontypridd & Taff's Well) has now been landed; the deck was installed 2 weeks ago. (pics from LinkedIn)
View attachment 122029
View attachment 122030

Among other developments (also from LinkedIn):
The Feeder Station at Tonteg (which connects to the 275kV National Grid Compound at Upper Boat) has had its under track crossing (UTX) constructed. (also 2 weeks ago)
View attachment 122031

The Main Span of Brook Street footbridge, at Ystrad Rhondda station, has also been removed. (this took place a month ago)
View attachment 122032
MANY MANY MANY thanks for these pictures. The old Devil's Bridge was a favourite haunt of mine as a child watching the coal trains with my Dad. I guess the old bridge was cut up and not "recycled" somewhere as the old signal box was - mind you the old bridge must have been quite an age now.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Almost certainly, but won't they be able to have level crossings and foot crossings etc? And light rail signalling
As I understand it, the rest of the CVL signalling in the valleys will be conventional "heavy rail" type, so it would feel a bit odd to have anything different on that short section. And my guess is that the service will consist of one train extended every half hour beyond Aberdare, so will be possible with just the single track between there and Hirwaun. (I haven't modelled that though.)

Markdvdman

Well I was on the 5:06pm train from Cadoxton to Ponty (for Merthyr bus change today). The train was late by 2 ins from Cadoxton but got delayed at Cardiff to 10 mins late. Suffice to say got to Ponty very late and 2 mins after the bus it was to link to. they did NOT hold the bus which was terrible for me as would have had to wait another half hour. Many of us were very angry they did not hold the bus and went to catch a T4 at our expense. Second day in and already poor service. 23 to go!

snowball

Established Member

There's a press release dated Wednesday:

Passengers reminded to check before they travel as major upgrade work on the Ebbw Vale line continues​

The line will be closed for nine days, from Saturday 22 October, as Network Rail engineers deliver enhancements to stations and track upgrades - making way for increased rail services for passengers in the future.

The multi-million-pound upgrades will see Network Rail’s team of engineers working day and night to extend platforms at Llanhilleth and Newbridge stations, replace and install a new railway bridge at Newbridge, and renew more than half a kilometre of track near Crosskeys station.

Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council have provided the £70m funding for the scheme, via a loan from the Welsh Government. The Department for Transport and Network Rail will then provide a further £17m of funding to deliver a signaling upgrade.

The line will be fully closed for nine days from Saturday 22 October to 30 October inclusive with no train services running. During this time, Transport for Wales (TfW) will provide a replacement bus service between Ebbw Vale Town and Cardiff Central and passengers are urged to check before travelling at www.tfw.wales or on the mobile app.

There will also be a full road closure on Bridge Street as engineers work to fully replace the railway bridge at Newbridge. Bridge Street will be closed from 23:00 on Friday 21 October to 05:00 on Monday 31 October with a fully signposted diversionary route in place.

Following the October closure of the line, Network Rail teams will continue to carry out work on the Ebbw Vale line until late into summer 2023. Dates of future closures of the line will be provided to passengers closer to the date.

Once the work is completed in 2023, Transport for Wales (TfW) plans to run a new hourly train service between Ebbw Vale and Newport in addition to the current hourly service between Ebbw Vale and Cardiff. This will help provide increased access to jobs, training and leisure opportunities to communities along the line.

There was some discussion a few months ago in this thread.

Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member
Thanks to snowball for the update. Good to see progress on the Ebbw Vale doubling finally happening!

MikePJ

I happened to be at Llandaf yesterday - here's a quick picture from the footbridge. Not sure if that's recent progress or not as I've been away for the last three weeks.

llandaf.jpg

Train Maniac

Just got back from a second trip to Wales. Plenty of progress made on the various lines. Here is a photo from Tuesday of the work going on at Newbridge (Ebbw Vale branch).20221018_121716.jpg
I take it the big white building on the left is to be demolished?