• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahj

Established Member
And Chichester Yard, when Southern decide SWT land is a destination too far, which is more common when there is serious disruption west of Havant, rather than plain late running!

Been in Chi yard more times than I care to think.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Out of interest, how many signals are between Hampton Court Junction and Surbiton?

This morning my 8.04 Guildford train was 1 minute early at Hampton Court Junction and had to wait. Fair enough. Once it left thought it crawled to Surbiton station and arrived almost 2 minutes late. The train in front, 8.38, was a minute late leaving, which would be why. I take it trains can't run any closer due to the signal(s) between the junction and Surbiton not allowing it.

Wot nearly 2 whole minutes, bloody hell its lucky there wasnt a riot, I am surprised half the passengers didnt die of malnutrition*.

* the other half would live because they would eat the dead! ;)

Do you actually realise how many trains run in and out of Waterloo during the peaks, the fact it works at all is a miracle but you still manage to find something to moan about every bloody day! <(
It is 100% capacity ie no room for error, this assumes that everything runs perfectly, unfortunately the SLF* have a tendancy to eff the job up by using one door out of 16, holding doors open for their mates etc so maybe you should aim your obvious displeasure at being nearly (not even actually) 2 minutes late!

may I recommend you either find another way to commute which would be more reliable or get a job within walking distance from your home!

* SLF= self loading freight ie the passengers, customers, woteva they are called this week!

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Wot nearly 2 whole minutes, bloody hell its lucky there wasnt a riot, I am surprised half the passengers didnt die of malnutrition*.

* the other half would live because they would eat the dead! ;)

Do you actually realise how many trains run in and out of Waterloo during the peaks, the fact it works at all is a miracle but you still manage to find something to moan about every bloody day! <(
It is 100% capacity ie no room for error, this assumes that everything runs perfectly, unfortunately the SLF* have a tendancy to eff the job up by using one door out of 16, holding doors open for their mates etc so maybe you should aim your obvious displeasure at being nearly (not even actually) 2 minutes late!

may I recommend you either find another way to commute which would be more reliable or get a job within walking distance from your home!

* SLF= self loading freight ie the passengers, customers, woteva they are called this week!
I am aware it is run very tightly and I'm not moaning at it being late. All I want to understand is why. It's simple as that. 2 minutes is nothing but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in knowing about the infrastructure around it all.

My brother in law has to write down why he gets delayed when driving Southern trains and that is any delay, not just those over 5 minutes.

Some people writing down train number. I don't. I just like to know how it works in terms of timetabling and these minor delays fascinate me because they happen so often. I didn't expect that to be the case when I first started commuting regularly on the trains.

It only frustrates me when I miss connections or the train companies are not giving out information on delays and I don't mean 2 minute delays, although some guards do feel the need to apologise for even 3 minute delays. Some might class that excessive but I don't mind if they wish to announce it.

Tonight a Southern service was formed of 4 coaches. I might have caught an earlier train if the National Rail Enquiries App listed such things but it doesn't so I squeezed in. I couldn't catch a later train in this case. Once in a while it's a bit of fun squashed in having to stand but thankfully not every day is it like that.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Ask your fellow passengers, they cause most of the delays!

I presume you have asked your brother in law about this but then he is just lying traincrew so why would you believe him!

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Ask your fellow passengers, they cause most of the delays!

I presume you have asked your brother in law about this but then he is just lying traincrew so why would you believe him!
Of course I discuss it with my brother in law because I'm interested.

I wouldn't want to be a train driver myself because of the concentration and solitary working but that doesn't mean I'm not interested.

I'm surprised the 8.38 wasn't more delayed, given the 8.02 from Woking was cancelled today. Clearly there is only 3 minutes between the 8.38 and 8.41. Some underground trains run 2 minutes apart so yes passengers delay trains but infrastructure dictates how close trains can run. Hence my question on signals between Hampton Court Junction and Surbiton.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Signal WK338 on the up fast protects Hampton Court Junction, then WK334, WK332 followed by WK330 which is at the London end of platform 2 at Surbiton. Basically the signal before Hampton Ct Jnc is the last green signal in the sequence should the signal in the platform be red.

B&W

Been in Chi yard more times than I care to think.

Well at least you are getting paid for it. As a full fare paying passenger I finally got fedup with the continuous unreliability and disruption and are a strictly car only person now. (Not the only person who has given up on the trains on the West Coastway either)

Brian

sarahj

Established Member
Well at least you are getting paid for it. As a full fare paying passenger I finally got fedup with the continuous unreliability and disruption and are a strictly car only person now. (Not the only person who has given up on the trains on the West Coastway either)

Brian

For driving the west coast, I dont think the A27, or A259 are beacons of reliability.
As for Chi yard, in 7 years out there I've only been in once due to disruption. The rest were timetabled moves. I once took a punter with me as well. Silly sod jumped on just as the doors were closing and my back was turned.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Signal WK338 on the up fast protects Hampton Court Junction, then WK334, WK332 followed by WK330 which is at the London end of platform 2 at Surbiton. Basically the signal before Hampton Ct Jnc is the last green signal in the sequence should the signal in the platform be red.
Thanks for that. I thought that might be the case.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Brian
Going slightly off topic, someone I know stopped traveling on the North Downs Line because they got tired of the unreliability, preferring to drive. I can't imagine preferring to drive myself. I did take lessons some time ago but the trains must surely be more relaxing.

Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I gave up using the North Downs years ago,that's when the then Western Region took it over and slaughtered the timetable and flooded the line with the stinking class 115 mechanicals or 3 Wreck as they were known.

The service with 165/166s isn't any better and now it's a case of drive to my nearest SWT station or drive into town. The problem is that SWT's service is becoming like the proverbial house of cards and it regularly collapses. Still if my train to work doesn't turn up & it's in the middle of the AM peak, there's no way on earth I'll get into work on time by driving, so I wait for my train and my train then waits for me.

Not my fault.

tsr

Established Member
Off-topic, but... I find the North Downs Line to be one of those ones where you get three types of problems:

- The first, being the worst, is when there is a complete meltdown of the line for some reason - for example, one day this summer, a maintenance vehicle nearly demolished a bridge at Shalford, and the repairs closed the line all the way between Guildford and Reigate, resulting in utter chaos. There are diversion routes for major flows, which do take longer but are doable (for example, Gatwick Airport-Clapham Jn on a fast service, then, if timed well, a SWT service to Reading). However, the A25 is a mess during most rush hours, and the smaller stations really suffer during disruption as a result. Betchworth, Gomshall and Chilworth being the main ones of note, with Gomshall perhaps the most significant. These types of issues are those which can only happen once or twice before people get really fed up and can't take the risk any longer. I sympathise, especially as if the line had a more parallel backup route and perhaps some infrastructure upgrades, it could be rather more able to be relied upon, so it's frustrating. But there's little that could be done right now.

- The second issue is the regular spate of minor delays caused every time there's a particular bout of poor adhesion or another couple of trains delayed by sheep. These are irritating due to the fact they are poorly explained to customers (especially as most minor stations aren't staffed all or any of the time) and they do result in missed connections at the numerous interchanges en-route. I have rarely heard of people being completely put off the line by these, but they happen on average once or twice per week in chunks, taking out punctuality for a whole morning or afternoon and really leaving a sour taste as people stand in the cold at Shalford watching the minutes tick over. Sadly, new stock/electrification/track upgrades can probably do little about these things. RHTTs have done a really good job this autumn but pressure needs quite literally to be kept up. Day-to-day punctuality seems a bit better and perhaps some Network Rail & landowner partnerships (for the animals) and maybe more focussing of checks of fatigue and weather-related wear and tear to signalling systems (things like level crossings do fail and cause delays) could help.

- The third issue, mainly leading on from the second, is the problem of alterations between Redhill and Gatwick Airport, or more specifically early terminations. Passengers heading to the airport face an awful lot of hassle due to these because Redhill is already a really busy station and most of the time use of the subway is needed, which can take a fair few minutes with a family and luggage. The lifts are at least new and mostly reliable, and Redhill has about 4-5 Southern/Thameslink trains to Gatwick per hour. However, these things lead to bad feedback and annoyance. Again, I do sympathise with this.

Now, the first two problems are the most severe, but unfortunately also the most likely (in my experience at the East end of the line) to cause folks to reduce their use of it. I suspect you have found the same. The line is deemed important and I know that FGW management do want it just to run smoothly. Otherwise there will be impacts on SWT and their passengers - namely overcrowding, whether or not things have fallen over! I am not a huge fan of SWT simply due to my own experiences, but for what I hesitantly call the "greater good", it might fit more easily into their operating area and maybe local structure, and perhaps that would divide up the local services more adequately, giving focus. The rolling stock, in and of itself, may prove a bit of a tricky one for the time being, especially as my assessment is that it is (as you'd expect) lacking in numbers but, with RHTTs in the area regularly, capable of running a reasonable service and offering adequate facilities per the new refurbishment. One last thought - especially if SWT took over, maybe passengers facing any disruption could also be able to obtain season tickets with "Also Available At" contingency measures in case trains or infrastructure do fail.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I gave up using the North Downs years ago,that's when the then Western Region took it over and slaughtered the timetable and flooded the line with the stinking class 115 mechanicals or 3 Wreck as they were known.

The service with 165/166s isn't any better and now it's a case of drive to my nearest SWT station or drive into town. The problem is that SWT's service is becoming like the proverbial house of cards and it regularly collapses. Still if my train to work doesn't turn up & it's in the middle of the AM peak, there's no way on earth I'll get into work on time by driving, so I wait for my train and my train then waits for me.

Not my fault.

Tut tut, you really do need to brush up on your units, the North Down units were either 119s or 117s!

Off-topic, but... I find the North Downs Line to be one of those ones where you get three types of problems:

The line is deemed important and I know that FGW management do want it just to run smoothly. Otherwise there will be impacts on SWT and their passengers - namely overcrowding, whether or not things have fallen over! I am not a huge fan of SWT simply due to my own experiences, but for what I hesitantly call the "greater good", it might fit more easily into their operating area and maybe local structure, and perhaps that would divide up the local services more adequately, giving focus. The rolling stock, in and of itself, may prove a bit of a tricky one for the time being, especially as my assessment is that it is (as you'd expect) lacking in numbers but, with RHTTs in the area regularly, capable of running a reasonable service and offering adequate facilities per the new refurbishment. One last thought - especially if SWT took over, maybe passengers facing any disruption could also be able to obtain season tickets with "Also Available At" contingency measures in case trains or infrastructure do fail.

Drifting back on topic; interesting that the RHTT has improved, would that be because SWT crew the RHTTs and would that route knowledge better facilitate any future transfer of TOC?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Yesterday southampton Central ground to a halt because of a trespasser, and then subsequent police and ambulance attendance and this morning the netley line is closed due to over running engineering works. I feel sorry for the operator, but I do have sympathy for those that rely on the train at weekends for work etc.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yesterday southampton Central ground to a halt because of a trespasser, and then subsequent police and ambulance attendance and this morning the netley line is closed due to over running engineering works. I feel sorry for the operator, but I do have sympathy for those that rely on the train at weekends for work etc.
There was also a failed train at Clapham Junction earlier in the day

Steveo77

yet more problems this morning - signalling problems in the Raynes Park area and so most trains into Waterloo delayed by about 10 minutes again !!

B&W

For driving the west coast, I dont think the A27, or A259 are beacons of reliability.
As for Chi yard, in 7 years out there I've only been in once due to disruption. The rest were timetabled moves. I once took a punter with me as well. Silly sod jumped on just as the doors were closing and my back was turned.

I do 500/600 miles back and forth each week on the A27 between Portsmouth and Brighton including peaks and its not that bad. You need to know some Rat Runs however, listen to traffic reports and not stay on it like a lemming.
Since the SWT semi fasts were removed the A27 is reliably far quicker than the all trains stopping at all stations 'service' offered by Govia on the West Coast Way.
As for comfort no comparison sadly, car beats train on all measures, 313s can't even offer a toilet for journeys of up to an hour plus.

Brian

infobleep

Veteran Member
yet more problems this morning - signalling problems in the Raynes Park area and so most trains into Waterloo delayed by about 10 minutes again !!
The 8.33 Guildford to Waterloo service stopped additionally at Berrylands; New Malden and possibly Raynes Park today due to the Hampton Court to Waterloo train having some cancelled stops. The additional stations are not listed on National Rail Enquiries departure board.

The Hampton Court train was running 8 minutes late. The additional stops on the 8.33 made that 6 minutes late in the end but allowed the Hampton Court train to only arrive 1 minute late. It's a juggling act with so many trains running.
Tonight it's signalling problems between Vauxhall and Waterloo delaying some trains by 10 minutes. The Poole bound train was running 20 minutes late. So glad I wasn't on that train from Clapham Junction. I imagine it might be quite packed by the time it left Waterloo, unless people drifted to other trains.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Interesting.... had an emergency stop between Stoneleigh and Worcester Park this morning, re-started after about 3 - 4 minutes, moved at reduced speed not above about 20mph to Worcester Park then ran normally apart from being 7 minutes down; was this related?

( Time of train deliberately not mentioned, but it was off peak )

infobleep

Veteran Member
This morning at Surbiton there was announcement of congestion through Raynes Park.
Today's disruption is signalling problems in the Eastleigh area, leading to 45 minute delays. Surprisingly, according to National Rail Enquiries, the 4.57 from Poole has had Southampton Parkway; Eastleigh; Winchester and Basingstoke stops cancelled but not Clapham Junction. Perhaps there are enough other delayed trains for there to be room to stop this train at Clapham Junction. 45 minutes would put it's arrival towards 8.15.
There is also delays from Portsmouth of up to 10 minutes. Perhaps poor rail conditions. I thought I'd catch the 9 minute delayed 7.45 service from Guildford and see what happens on route as I was at the station before it left. I head to Surbiton so could catch the 8.04 direct. The 7.45 arrived into Woking just after my 8.02 stopping service to Waterloo departed. Fine I thought as there is a late running 8.05 can be caught and it makes up time at West Byfleet.

However the 7.59 fast (starts Basingstoke) arrived at 8.04 and then preceded to wait on platform 1 until 8.13. Not sure what was holding it up as the signalling problems are in Winchester and Eastleigh areas. I didn't notice any fast through trains turn up to by pass it. An additional service was put on so perhaps that had to Cross further up the lines to enable it to reach platform 2, thus blocking the path of this fast train. That's all my non expert mind can think of.

This in turn delayed the 8.05, which left 11 minutes late. It was literally stuck behind the fast train waiting for platform 1, although it to was running late. Between Ash Vale and leaving Brookwood it lost time. Perhaps again poor rail conditions today. It's fairly cold.

Doing all of this got me into Surbiton quicker than the 8.04 direct as that got held up by the late running 8.05.

After that it was then fun deciding which bus to catch. Just so many people wishing to board. At least one of the buses was a double decker.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The original purpose of the thread appears to have been lost. It's better that this thread is closed now, as otherwise it will just run and run as a list of every delay and cancellation in SWT land.

Status
Not open for further replies.