• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton/London- recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSE

Established Member
Hey all,
On Tuesday I should be going down to Soton overnight, just wondering on which route to take, leaving about 4 on Tuesday, coming back by about 2 (any london termni) on Wednesday, never really done SWT apart from frequent metro hops in London, or the SWML beyond Raynes Park. Pretty familiar with the BML stretch of the SN but not the Arun Valley stretch, so just wondering what you guys would suggest to mix it up :) if there's any other slightly interesting routes I could take.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are you bothered about the prices? Any flexibility in terms of timing? Any railcards?

wintonian

Established Member
SWT will take aprox 1hr 30min via Basingstoke and Woking £37.20 SVR route: Any permitted

Southern approx 2hr 45min via Gatwick, Horsham and Chichester £29.60 SVR route: Southern only

Prices without railcard.

Also SWT's stock is in a far better condition than Southern's which to honest is somewhat tatty and in dire need of a refresh at least.

NSE

Established Member
Are you bothered about the prices? Any flexibility in terms of timing? Any railcards?

Nah, I'm happy with the walk up fare, (I have a 16-25) don't really want to be tied down, have work wednesday evening, I just wondered how many routes my ticket would be valid for (London terminals- Southampton off peak return)

John @ home

Established Member
I just wondered how many routes my ticket would be valid for (London terminals- Southampton off peak return)
Ah! That's a different question.

A London Terminals - Southampton Ctl route Any Permitted ticket is valid by any route which can be traced on maps:For single codes, the Permitted Routes are via any route on that map from the any London Terminals station to Southampton, without passing through the same station twice on a single journey.

For combinations of Maps (e.g. LB+CW), the route is via any route on one map from any London Terminals station to any intercept point for the next map, then via any route within that map to any intercept point for the next map. This is repeated until the final map is reached then via any route within that map until Southampton is reached without passing through the same station twice on a single journey.

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
If I remember rightly the 3 main routes are:

Southern via Gatwick
Via Woking
Via Reading

Possibly Via Petersfield but can't remember for sure.

I don't think going via Sailsbury is allowed.

Best thing to do is to check the permitted routes as John @ home has suggested.

NSE

Established Member
Ah! That's a different question.

A London Terminals - Southampton Ctl route Any Permitted ticket is valid by any route which can be traced on maps:
  • LB+CW
  • LP
  • PD+CW
  • SC+CW
  • SC+PD+CW
  • WR+MW
  • WX or
  • WX+MW
For single codes, the Permitted Routes are via any route on that map from the any London Terminals station to Southampton, without passing through the same station twice on a single journey.

For combinations of Maps be used (e.g. LB+CW), the route is via any route on one map from any London Terminals station to any intercept point for the next map, then via any route within that map to any intercept point for the next map. This is repeated until the final map is reached then via any route within that map until Southampton is reached without passing through the same station twice on a single journey.

Thanks mate, looking good, could you just explain each initial for me :P

Lrd

Established Member
Always struck me as a bit odd that you can't go Salisbury - Basingstoke but you can go via Gatwick.

I've always seen it as going the "wrong way" out of Southampton and not towards London.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I've always seen it as going the "wrong way" out of Southampton and not towards London.

You can always go via Chandler's Ford then Romsey, which would allow you to leave Southampton Central from the "right" end. ;)

Lrd

Established Member
You can always go via Chandler's Ford then Romsey, which would allow you to leave Southampton Central from the "right" end. ;)

Oh yeah. :oops: And I used to use the "Figure of 6" every day!

Status
Not open for further replies.