• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton to York return from Filey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson

Slightly complex, but bear with me.

I'm travelling up to York on September 17th, returning on 26th from Filey (walking the Cleveland Way). 16-25 railcard held.

I'm happy to be tied to specific trains going up, but coming back I'm going to need some more flexibility.

If I can, I'd love to get a ride on First Hull Trains one way or the other.

Anyone know any good ways to get the price down from the straight £86.65 super off peak return? I can't find anything even with East Coast's £6.75 Advance fares...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I can't find anything better - it's the flexibility that you need on the return journey that scuppers any attempt to use Advance fares. You can save £4.75 by specifying a route not via London. I think that you can Excess either your out or return ticket if you want to go via London in one direction only for half the difference in fares i.e. £2.40.

And you can get 6% cashback if you order your tickets through Southern via Quidco / TopCashBack - that comes to nearly a fiver. That's the best I can do.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I can't come up with anything better than your £86.65, but I can confirm that ticket is valid to travel to/from Filey via Hull or York.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you want an Advance one way, and flexibility the other, East Coast offer half-price Off Peak Singles, though they're only available on the York-London leg, so you'd need something else for the other legs, so by the time you've done all that you may as well have got the through ticket.

Also bear in mind, the through Super Off Peak Return is valid on any train between Southampton <> London! It is only restricted on the London <> York section of journey.

Robinson

If you want an Advance one way, and flexibility the other, East Coast offer half-price Off Peak Singles, though they're only available on the York-London leg, so you'd need something else for the other legs, so by the time you've done all that you may as well have got the through ticket.

Also bear in mind, the through Super Off Peak Return is valid on any train between Southampton <> London! It is only restricted on the London <> York section of journey.

That was what I had in mind at first. Would have worked a treat if I was starting in Filey and finishing at York... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.