• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern class 376 diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Nope, there are definitely some 12 car sets that leave Hastings in the peak. The more difficult restriction is on the platform lengths as far as Tunbridge Wells.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I have definitely seen 12 coach 375s go all the way to Hastings quite a few times. There are quite a few in the peak hours. I believe SDO is used at Frant / Wadhurst / Stonegate / Etchingham / Robertsbridge / Battle / Crowhurst stations (and possibly at West St Leonards as well).

bramling

Veteran Member
You're definitely not thinking of 12 car trains which split into 8 at Tunbridge Wells?

Otherwise, as you say, perhaps they've upgraded the power supply and amended the restriction.

I think the position is that it's not so much that the power supply can't take 12-car trains - it can and 12-car trains have and do run to Hastings. The issue is that the power supply system is designed on the basis of being able to sustain timetabled operation if one item of plant goes out of commission for any reason, which is the normal way of doings things. So it's one thing being able to run occasional or unplanned 12-car trains to Hastings if everything is functioning normally, but it's another to run regular 12-car trains down there, as the moment one piece of plant is unavailable (planned or unplanned) there will be a problem. I forget what the exact restriction is, but this sort of limitation is quite common -- the system was designed round a specification, and is quite capable of meeting that specification, and more on a one-off basis, but the moment one tries to run more on a regular basis then issues arise.

Last edited:

JamesRowden

Established Member
You're definitely not thinking of 12 car trains which split into 8 at Tunbridge Wells?

Otherwise, as you say, perhaps they've upgraded the power supply and amended the restriction.

The introduction of a few 12-car trains to/from Hastings was announced a few years ago. 12-Car SDO stopping boards were added at all of the stations between Tunbridge Wells and Hastings. Someone posted that the 3-car 375/3s we're ordered with the Hastings line in mind. 3+4+3 would make a 10 car indicating the plan might have originally been to have 10 car services during the peak, with the plan being replaced by splitting/joining at Tunbridge Wells (except for the more recently introduced few 12-car through services).

Bromley boy

Established Member
Thanks chaps, interesting stuff.

I assume it was upgraded from the original 1980s installation along with the general power upgrade when the electrostars were first brought in.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Thanks chaps, interesting stuff.

I assume it was upgraded from the original 1980s installation along with the general power upgrade when the electrostars were first brought in.

I'm not sure that much upgrading was or has been done on the route. Certainly the number of substations and TP huts is the same as when the electrification was designed. It's possible other work was done for Electrostars, but I don't think we're talking about a massive amount.

Regarding the 3-car Electrostars, I'm sure I read somewhere the plan was to allow 4+4+3 formations making up 11-cars, which is the length which Tunbridge Wells can accommodate. Speculation on my part, but remember the South Eastern Electrostars were among the earlier batch of Electrostars, so perhaps this was originally thought to be a better plan than SDO? Not sure what the arrangements were regarding signal berths at Tunbridge Wells either.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Is there still some services which arrive into Tunbridge Wells as triple units, to split with the front unit running semi-fast to Hastings with the remaining 2 units running as a stopping service?

JamesRowden

Established Member
Is there still some services which arrive into Tunbridge Wells as triple units, to split with the front unit running semi-fast to Hastings with the remaining 2 units running as a stopping service?

Yes, except that the fast portion is 8-cars and the slow 4.

Last edited:
Does anyone know do the 375/3 trains ever actually get used on the Hastings line? So far i have seen 375/6 375/7 375/8 375/9 377/2 377/5 on the Hastings line but never the 375/3 trains!

Roast Veg

Established Member
I have never seen a 375/3 down to Hastings either, in fact this is the first I've heard that they were suggested for it in the first place.

Dmthomson

Going back to the thread. Do you think the 376 will get any refurb soon? They are still in SET colours (yellow doors) and looking grubby inside.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I just found this photo on Flickr from a few years ago - https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/chris..._IS_375/3+hastings_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all - of a 375/3 on the Hastings line. So they probably just go to Hastings occasionally when there are no four coach units available.
375/3s honestly lack the capacity needed on the Hastings line. By Tonbridge, that train is going to get very cosy! I've seen a 375/3 at Hastings a few times, but I can't remember if they were with other subclasses.

I have heard that 10 car sets mooted as possible formations during peaks - 4 car fast from Tunbridge Wells, 6 car stopping to Hastings, then the 4 car off to depot and 6 car back up to London.

375/3s honestly lack the capacity needed on the Hastings line. By Tonbridge, that train is going to get very cosy! I've seen a 375/3 at Hastings a few times, but I can't remember if they were with other subclasses.

I have heard that 10 car sets mooted as possible formations during peaks - 4 car fast from Tunbridge Wells, 6 car stopping to Hastings, then the 4 car off to depot and 6 car back up to London.

I guess the 375/3s might get used as 12 coach 375/3 + 375/3 + 375/3 + 375/3 formations sometimes instead of the more usual 3 x 4 coach units. I know i have seen 12 coach 377/3 + 377/3 + 377/3 + 377/3 formations on Southern quite a few times (especially on the East Grinstead line).

MrB

I guess the 375/3s might get used as 12 coach 375/3 + 375/3 + 375/3 + 375/3 formations sometimes instead of the more usual 3 x 4 coach units. I know i have seen 12 coach 377/3 + 377/3 + 377/3 + 377/3 formations on Southern quite a few times (especially on the East Grinstead line).

Wouldn't that fall foul of the power supply restrictions on the Hastings Line? I believe there are some restrictions regarding length of trains/number of units that can run at any one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.