• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SouthEastern Driver Depots

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpsWeb

Hi All,

I was just looking into SouthEastern's website as they are currently advertising for "possible" trainee drivers for Ashford and Qualified High Speed Train Drivers at a few other depots.

It states on there website, that they have 12 train crew depots - but no more information.

I was wondering if anyone is able to provide details of SE's Driver depots, and how they are broken down into Metro, Mainline or High Speed?

As always, thank you in advance for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Twedds74

Hi, hope this helps, I'm ex- SE Guard.

Charing X- Mainline and Metro
Vic Eastern- Mainline and Metro
Grove Park -Mainline and Metro
Slade Green/Dartford-Metro
Orpington-Metro, Mainline?
Tonbridge-Mainline
Hastings-Mainline
Ashford-Mainline, HS
Dover-Mainline, HS
Ramsgate-Mainline, HS
Faversham-Mainline, HS
Gillingham- Mainline, Metro HS?

notadriver

Established Member
Hi, hope this helps, I'm ex- SE Guard.

Charing X- Mainline and Metro

Vic Eastern- Mainline and Metro

Grove Park -Mainline and Metro

Slade Green/Dartford-Metro

Orpington-Metro, Mainline?

Tonbridge-Mainline

Hastings-Mainline

Ashford-Mainline, HS

Dover-Mainline, HS

Ramsgate-Mainline, HS

Faversham-Mainline, HS

Gillingham- Mainline, Metro HS?

Some of that information is inaccurate.

OpsWeb

That's great! Thanks for all your info!

There is a small possibility I could be moving to the South East next year and I have no idea about where's nice or best place to work etc in or around Kent!

I will have to do some research.

Thanks again

Twedds74

I was on there in the 90's, so maybe things have changed? But that's how I remember it, and I was before HS!

whoosh

Established Member
Early 2000s, Charing Cross (much smaller - only about 24 drivers compared with 80-something in the 1990s - it may have grown a bit since, but a lot of work was shipped out to Grove Park, Slade Green, and Orpington) and Orpington were Metro only. Pretty sure Grove Park was as well.

Gillingham is Mainline and Metro, but don't think it's High Speed. Ramsgate, Faversham and Ashford do have High Speed drivers based there and I think it's just those three depots. Not sure on Dover?

Last edited:

Twedds74

^^Thanks for constructive answer!
I always remember CX was a v busy, but quite small mess room! Well that's how it seemed to me anyway!

samlf

Cant answer your question about depots, but wow I was part way through application today and suddenly the job was no longer available, talk about high competition!

Class2ldn

Grove Park do some mainline work but only as far as Ashford and Tunbridge Wells. Ten year wait to get to that link though.
Charing cross also go to Tunbridge Wells but not Ashford I don't think.
Orpington are mainly metro but do sign 319s and go to Bedford.
Vic is mainline and metro and sign 319s to Bedford aswell.
Slade green completely metro as is Dartford.

OpsWeb

Grove Park do some mainline work but only as far as Ashford and Tunbridge Wells. Ten year wait to get to that link though.
Charing cross also go to Tunbridge Wells but not Ashford I don't think.
Orpington are mainly metro but do sign 319s and go to Bedford.
Vic is mainline and metro and sign 319s to Bedford aswell.
Slade green completely metro as is Dartford.

So are there any depots which you can start driving mainline (as opposed to metro or High Speed services) trains as soon as you qualify?

Last edited:

A-driver

Established Member
So are there any depots which you can start driving mainline (as opposed to metro or High Speed services) trains as soon as you qualify?

As a rule the depots furthest from London with any commuter TOC will have mainly mainline work. But they often also have long waiting lists for drivers already employed wishing to transepfer from metro depots. Absolutely no reason a trainee can't go straight to mainline work with no suburban work, just generally it's down to vacancies always being at less desirable depots for obvious reasons.

OpsWeb

As a rule the depots furthest from London with any commuter TOC will have mainly mainline work. But they often also have long waiting lists for drivers already employed wishing to transepfer from metro depots. Absolutely no reason a trainee can't go straight to mainline work with no suburban work, just generally it's down to vacancies always being at less desirable depots for obvious reasons.

Ah ok, I understand!

So depots such as Tonbridge, Hastings etc... are mainly mainline work? Out of interest, what is the main different from Mainline to Metro work, is it just the high density diagrams?

I currently work in the north west so have never actually been to Kent, but I say i might be moving soon...

Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member

Victoria, and all depots outside London have main line work. The ones closer to London have a mixture (tonbridge and Gillingham) for example.

High speed is completely separate to metro and mainline. It requires at least 2 years driving as a qualified with a clean record and there is a special selection and interview process. They are paid more than the basic metro/main line driver salary.

Last edited:

OpsWeb

Victoria, and all depots outside London have main line work. The ones closer to London have a mixture (tonbridge and Gillingham) for example.

High speed is completely separate to metro and mainline. It requires at least 2 years driving as a qualified with a clean record and there is a special selection and interview process. They are paid more than the badge metro/main line driver salary.

Thanks. So am I right in thinking the pay and conditions for Metro and Mainline is the same (its just the diagrams are more packed for the Metro link)?

Thanks again, your info is invaluable.

A-driver

Established Member
Thanks. So am I right in thinking the pay and conditions for Metro and Mainline is the same (its just the diagrams are more packed for the Metro link)?

Thanks again, your info is invaluable.

Metro and mainline will be exactly the same conditions and pay. Just traction and routes which will differ. Whilst one depots average diagram may be London and back stopping at a handful of stations then some depot work p, another depots average diagram may be 120 stations doing dartford-London and back several times.

notadriver

Established Member
Metro depots get a London weighting allowance so in practice will get more than mainline depots outside of London.

And metro and mainline at southeastern *do* have slightly different terms and conditions.....

Last edited:

OpsWeb

Metro depots get a London weighting allowance so in practice will get more than mainline depots outside of London.

And metro and mainline at southeastern *do* have slightly different terms and conditions.....

Thanks again, invaluable information as always.

I take it is seniority based when people move up from Metro to Mainline? or is it seen as a "different" job so you would need to apply?

Im guessing your still a fully qualified train driver just like say a Virgin driver, just happen to drive metro style train services?

notadriver

Established Member
There's no difference in that sense between a metro and main line driver but - if you start out at a metro depot they may look at your suitability to go to a mainline depot by means of an interview.

For example Victoria is both mainline and metro and has 2 links both of which do metro and mainline. Gillingham and Tonbridge are similar but very difficult to get into. Metro depots - Slade Green, Grove Park etc only do Metro work in lower links and won't sign main line 375s

Last edited:

OpsWeb

There's no difference in that sense between a metro and main line driver but - if you start out at a metro depot they may look at your suitability to go to a mainline depot by means of an interview.

For example Victoria is both mainline and metro and has 2 links both of which do metro and mainline. Gillingham and Tonbridge are similar but very difficult to get into. Metro depots - Slade Green, Grove Park etc only do Metro work in lower links and won't sign main line 375s

Thanks again. I have a lot to consider..

notadriver

Established Member
You can PM me if you wish - it all depends on where you live and what work/depot you want. I can weigh up the pros and cons fairly well.

A-driver

Established Member
Any uk mainline driver, freight or toc, is a fully qualified train driver. Makes absolutely no difference if your depot/companies work involves running between Manchester and London at 125mph stopping 3 times in 2 hours or driving a local stopper around at 30mph stopping at stations every few minutes.

There are differences between driving styles for each but driving a train is driving a train. It really dosnt make too much difference what is out of the windscreen or how fast you are going past it.

notadriver

Established Member
There's a big difference between driving an electric multiple unit train at 40 mph on suburban work to handling 2000 tons of freight train up and down Shap.

Ception

Hi Guys

Can anybody please tell me what's it like to work for Southeastern as a Train Driver and the routes/traction out of the Victoria depot. Are there good conditions in terms of the variety of work?

Many Thanks

Bromley boy

Established Member
Hi Guys

Can anybody please tell me what's it like to work for Southeastern as a Train Driver and the routes/traction out of the Victoria depot. Are there good conditions in terms of the variety of work?

Many Thanks

I'm sure a current Vic driver will be able to give more detail but, broadly speaking:

Mostly metro for the starter link (not sure how many links they have), but including some mainline work down as far as Ashford Intl and (possibly) Faversham for newly qualified drivers. Probably some of the best work on the SE network for newbies in the London area.

Victoria used to do Thameslink work (shared with Orpington) but this is disappearing in readiness for the new GTR depots at Ashford, Orpington and Gillingham to come online over the next year or so. Vic has taken on more metro work and now sign routes to Ch+, Cannon St and Blackfriars;

Something else to consider is that you will need to get to and from Victoria before/after public transport in the form of tubes and trains is available. There was previously a taxi agreement but this has fallen by the wayside recently which has put quite a few noses out of joint. It's very unlikely you'll be able to live within a sensible walking distance of the depot for obvious reasons so you may find yourself needing to get a night bus to work or pay for your own taxi.

Last edited:

Jonb106

I'm sure a current Vic driver will be able to give more detail but, broadly speaking:

Mostly metro for the starter link (not sure how many links they have), but including some mainline work down as far as Ashford Intl and (possibly) Faversham for newly qualified drivers. Probably some of the best work on the SE network for newbies in the London area.

Victoria used to do Thameslink work (shared with Orpington) but this is disappearing in readiness for the new GTR depots at Ashford, Orpington and Gillingham to come online over the next year or so. Vic has taken on more metro work and now sign routes to Ch+, Cannon St and Blackfriars;

Something else to consider is that you will need to get to and from Victoria before/after public transport in the form of tubes and trains is available. There was previously a taxi agreement but this has fallen by the wayside recently which has put quite a few noses out of joint. It's very unlikely you'll be able to live within a sensible walking distance of the depot for obvious reasons so you may find yourself needing to get a night bus to work or pay for your own taxi.

Hi bromleyboy,

Does that mean SE are losing the Orpington depot altogether?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.