• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Out of Court Settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

holemone

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I’m very worried that I’m in deep because I was dishonest with the inspector. Basically a meltdown of a morning for me, first the offence then digging a hole with a dishonest account, all of which I deeply regret now. The inspector at the time seemed to insinuate i’d be looking at a fine of around £80. It was after I googled mg11 that I started to fear much worse. And now I don’t know what to do when the letter comes because to tell the truth would contradict my earlier account and make me bang to rights - and would effectively be admitting an attempt to avoid paying the fare which I’m worried would mean a definite court summons. Would you know whether a company like c2c will ‘usually’ settle out of court if it’s a first time offence, even if the excuse given is flimsy or changes from the original explanation given?

My current plan, as discussed with others above, is to respond apologising for the situation, acknowledging I was wrong for attempting to travel without the correct ticket in hand, expressing sincere regret and assuring them it will never happen again... and not to include an explanation since I thing that will only harm my chances rather than improve them. What do you think?

Really appreciate the advice.
Any update on your case? Attached is the letter I got from Southeastern

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 223
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

holemone

Hello,

Today I was caught without a valid ticket at Chislehurst station, southeastern. To summarise, over the past 7 months, I have stayed on for an extra stop, beyond Elmstead Woods - my usual station, approx 15 times. The only reason has been to save a few minutes for the walk home. In hindsight, my stupidity on this is shining through.

I was interviewed at the station and advised I would receive a letter in 3-6 weeks.

My question is whether this will likely result in a criminal conviction / record? I tried to get some information and the chap mentioned ‘they do like to settle’ however I’m not sure if this would still result in a record.

It’s not my intention to lodge any kind of appeal.
I did the same thing and wrote to Southeastern asking for an out-of-court settlement right after I got caught and issued the MG11 witness statement. Today I received a letter from southeastern demanding £280

najaB

Veteran Member
Today I received a letter from southeastern demanding £280
On a point of order, they didn't "demand" £280, they offered to settle for the fare plus £250 costs. You are perfectly free to decline this offer and take your chances of it goes to court.

holemone

On a point of order, they didn't "demand" £280, they offered to settle for the fare plus £250 costs. You are perfectly free to decline this offer and take your chances of it goes to court.
Of course I would take up this offer and pay within 21 days. It is a small price to pay

NoOnesFool

Any update on your case? Attached is the letter I got from Southeastern
Basically, if you pay the settlement within 21 days, this will be the end of the matter for you. However, if you are reported for any further fare related offences, you may not be offered any out of court settlements and the matter may be dealt with in court. Notice that the letter states that they are willing to settle out of court "on this occasion only", that's a very important piece of wording.

holemone

Basically, if you pay the settlement within 21 days, this will be the end of the matter for you. However, if you are reported for any further fare related offences, you may not be offered any out of court settlements and the matter may be dealt with in court. Notice that the letter states that they are willing to settle out of court "on this occasion only", that's a very important piece of wording.

When I got caught, I was feeling really scared, so I gave an old address and a fake name.

I didn’t give any comments when I got the letter from SE asking for my version of the event 5 weeks ago. The letter also asked for my NI number. I didn’t leave any detail.

NoOnesFool

When I got caught, I was feeling really scared, so I gave an old address and a fake name.

I didn’t give any comments when I got the letter from SE asking for my version of the event 5 weeks ago. The letter also asked for my NI number. I didn’t leave any detail.
You have had a very lucky escape by the sounds of it. When did you receive the letter offering the out of court settlement?

bionic

If you gave an old address and a fake name, how did the letter get to you?

holemone

You have had a very lucky escape by the sounds of it. When did you receive the letter offering the out of court settlement?
The incident happened on the 22 Oct, I wrote to SE on the same day, obviously apologising for my mistakes and suggesting out-of-Court settlement.

Five weeks later I received a letter from SE asking for my personal details (name, DOB, address, NI, occupation) and comments of the incident. I didn’t provide DOB and NI.

Yesterday I received a response from SE, so the penalty is £31 plus £250 admin costs

bionic

I was moving home so had signed up with mail re-direction services

If you gave a fake name then Royal Mail wouldn't redirect it!

Edit: I'm not doubting your version of events, I'm just struggling to see how you could have received the letter.

holemone

Edit: I'm not doubting your version of events, I'm just struggling to see how you could have received the letter.
Now you reminded me. I signed up for the mail redirection service online. True that Royal Mail never tried to verify the personal details with me!!

LondonJohn

All that happens is a load of stickers with an expired date get printed for your address frame and the post person has to attach a sticker or put the letters in a bag and sticker that. Invariably as ‘most’ redirects are for the whole family stickers are put on ALL mail. I moved out of a shared house and had a redirection in place and I got everybody’s mail despite complain8ng several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.