• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern recruiting trainee drivers again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It's also part of the reason why you need to live within a certain distance from the depot. Fatigue is now the main priority. You need to be able to get yourself into work and it is fully your responsibility. You can't blame the train/bus being late. Imagine being stranded at Victoria when you live in Ramsgate. You wouldn't be able to get home.

Non residential used to have no real requirement about traveling times as you always started after the first train has arrived and finished before it left. The TOC had a responsibility to get you into work and there were staff trains that run up the line and stopped on the way specifically to collect staff.

Imagine being stranded in Ramsgate!

1812_s

hi i applied for grovepark on the 10/11. How long have people been waiting for replies?

I got my reply last night for trainee train driver - future opportunities. I live 15 mins drive from Victoria, 10 mins on the train, so fingers crossed all goes well and I get that depot. Anyone know the next steps? Is south eastern standard or enhanced pass mark?

Thanks.

I got my reply last night for trainee train driver - future opportunities. I live 15 mins drive from Victoria, 10 mins on the train, so fingers crossed all goes well and I get that depot. Anyone know the next steps? Is south eastern standard or enhanced pass mark?

Thanks.

Well done. I'm sure I've read somewhere on here that it's a standard mark. At least I hope it is as it will mean I don't have to take them again!

Re Victoria... I'm assuming there isn't any staff parking on site?

Gekko5154

I am a driver at Victoria and can confirm there is parking at Victoria. There are parking spaces avaiable for employees at pugs hole although it is getting more difficult to obtain a parking permit these days.

Gekko5154

@ComUtoR, there has been lots of speculation about pugs hole in the last few months none of which were about pugs hole closing.

LeGrimpeur

“I am pleased to confirm that your application for the position of Trainee Train Driver - Future Opportunities has successfully passed the screening process.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for your interest in joining Southeastern, and we will contact you as soon as we are able to continue with your application.

Kind Regards

Southeastern Recruitment Team”

Omar

Does anyone know if SE use M7 SJT and VSE as part of their recruiting process?

Lab

Metro routes:

Vic - Orpington via Herne Hill and Catford
Vic - Gravesend via Bexleyheath, Woolwich Arsenal and Sidcup
Blackfriars - Herne Hill / Denmark Hill
Cannon Street
Charing Cross
Hayes
Sevenoaks
....and all points in between

Vic shed
Slade Green depot
Grove Park depot
Orpington sidings
Plumstead sidings
Dartford sidings
Bellingham sidings

Vic currently still have work to places like Faversham, Canterbury, Ashford etc but for how long nobody knows.

Traction is 465, 466, 375, 376.

It's no longer classed as a non-residential depot so start learning those night bus timetables!
Hi Bionic, how would you describe the difficulty in passing the trainee training on a scale of 1 to 10. I assumed you already work for a TOC .Is is very much technical ?

Lab

I am a driver at Victoria and can confirm there is parking at Victoria. There are parking spaces avaiable for employees at pugs hole although it is getting more difficult to obtain a parking permit these days.
Hi Geko, how is the training for the trainees? Is it very hard and technically biased? Obviously one would be dedicated but do people often get through the training easy without any technical previous background ?

GMT

Does anyone know if SE use M7 SJT and VSE as part of their recruiting process?
They shouldn't, you should go straight to assessments, written ones first. If I'm not wrong they do written tests one day and computer tests and Multi Modal Interview on another day.

Omar

They shouldn't, you should go straight to assessments, written ones first. If I'm not wrong they do written tests one day and computer tests and Multi Modal Interview on another day.

Thank you for the info mate. I recently done online assessment with OPC, I passed M7 SJT but unfortunately failed VSE.

bionic

Hi Bionic, how would you describe the difficulty in passing the trainee training on a scale of 1 to 10. I assumed you already work for a TOC .Is is very much technical ?

It's a while ago that I went through it but if you put the work in you'll have no bother. It's not too technical as most of the traction stuff has been drastically watered down in recent years (now it's more phone a friend than fix it yourself). You will have to put the time in to get through though. I was revising every night and at weekends while I was training.

Retaining the knowledge is a big challenge as after you've done rules you move to traction and if you don't keep on top of your rules revision during traction you could lose a lot of it. On SE you'll learn both types of 465 and, while it's not a particularly technical train, you will need to remember the quite big differences between the BRELs and Metcams. Youll also learn 375s and 376s at Vic.

After traction you'll go on to driving hours with an instructor where you get to put what you've learned into practice. Again, here you need to keep revising your rules and traction in order to retain it. Quality of driver instructors varies massively (i can think of a few who shouldnt be anywhere near the grade!), so fingers crossed you get one of the good ones. You may be asked to go to a depot other than your home one to get a DI if there is a queue. They might also leave you hanging around for weeks or months while you wait for one. Dont be surprised if this happens and make sure you plan for it financially as it'll delay your money going up. As part of your driving hours you'll be expected to learn every route in the bottom link so again you need to balance retention with learning new information. After all of the driving you'll sit your "part six" where a driver manager will assess you on everything you've done and hopefully pass you out.... and then you've got to retain all the knowledge and skills you've learned while staying incident-free! Managers will come out to assess you frequently to begin with and also randomly download units you've driven to assess your driving. As time progresses these will become less frequent. You'll be assessed annually for a day by your DM to check competence (this is known as an A4 on Southeastern).

The vast majority of trainee drivers get through without too many problems but the risk of having an incident after passing out is high. SE is a more intensive network than many other TOCs operate, so on a daily basis you'll come up against a lot more reds than other drivers might nationally, and as a metro driver you'll have a lot more DOO station stops to contend with. All of these things increase the risks. The company teach what they call "non-technical skills" which are things like commentary driving and using formation reminders, marking up unusual calling patterns etc. My advice is to use these constantly as the tiniest momentary lapse in concentration can have you in hot water.

Like I say, if you put the work in you'll be fine, but don't underestimate how much commitment it needs if you are to make a successful career out of it.

Lab

It's a while ago that I went through it but if you put the work in you'll have no bother. It's not too technical as most of the traction stuff has been drastically watered down in recent years (now it's more phone a friend than fix it yourself). You will have to put the time in to get through though. I was revising every night and at weekends while I was training.

Retaining the knowledge is a big challenge as after you've done rules you move to traction and if you don't keep on top of your rules revision during traction you could lose a lot of it. On SE you'll learn both types of 465 and, while it's not a particularly technical train, you will need to remember the quite big differences between the BRELs and Metcams. Youll also learn 375s and 376s at Vic.

After traction you'll go on to driving hours with an instructor where you get to put what you've learned into practice. Again, here you need to keep revising your rules and traction in order to retain it. Quality of driver instructors varies massively (i can think of a few who shouldnt be anywhere near the grade!), so fingers crossed you get one of the good ones. You may be asked to go to a depot other than your home one to get a DI if there is a queue. They might also leave you hanging around for weeks or months while you wait for one. Dont be surprised if this happens and make sure you plan for it financially as it'll delay your money going up. As part of your driving hours you'll be expected to learn every route in the bottom link so again you need to balance retention with learning new information. After all of the driving you'll sit your "part six" where a driver manager will assess you on everything you've done and hopefully pass you out.... and then you've got to retain all the knowledge and skills you've learned while staying incident-free! Managers will come out to assess you frequently to begin with and also randomly download units you've driven to assess your driving. As time progresses these will become less frequent. You'll be assessed annually for a day by your DM to check competence (this is known as an A4 on Southeastern).

The vast majority of trainee drivers get through without too many problems but the risk of having an incident after passing out is high. SE is a more intensive network than many other TOCs operate, so on a daily basis you'll come up against a lot more reds than other drivers might nationally, and as a metro driver you'll have a lot more DOO station stops to contend with. All of these things increase the risks. The company teach what they call "non-technical skills" which are things like commentary driving and using formation reminders, marking up unusual calling patterns etc. My advice is to use these constantly as the tiniest momentary lapse in concentration can have you in hot water.

Like I say, if you put the work in you'll be fine, but don't underestimate how much commitment it needs if you are to make a successful career out of it.
Hi Bionic,
Thanks for the invaluable information and the time taken to answer my query. The training is with GTR and I think most of their Trains are DOOs. I would sure make sure to do the revisions on a daily basis. I'm thinking an hour a day after classes including weekends.?
How often are trainees tested?

GMT

Very good but at the same time concise insight. Thank you.

Jay112

Anyone still waiting for any response.... Beyond the generic thank you for applying???

Marx

Well at least we know it can be put on the back burner for a couple of months or so.
Seems that way however I did speak to my friend last weekend who is a driver for south eastern and he said they are short of drivers due to drivers leaving for other TOC’s and quite a few have been sacked ... so things may change

Seems that way however I did speak to my friend last weekend who is a driver for south eastern and he said they are short of drivers due to drivers leaving for other TOC’s and quite a few have been sacked ... so things may change

Well no-one will be more pleased then me if things happen sooner, however I'm sure the franchise is up for grabs and was supposed to be awarded by now, and that must surely have an impact on recruitment?

Status
Not open for further replies.