• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern recruiting trainee drivers again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The TOC could ask you "how many chicknes does it take to build a fence" it wouldn't matter. You need to answer it. At the end of the day; they set the homework and they set the questions. Feel free not to answer or not to check the homework. There are many other candidates who will.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
They are simply asking applicants to explain what they understand TPWS to be and what it’s intended for as far as I can tell, which seems reasonable (to be honest, it’s not the most technical of subjects anyway...). They’re not going to expect or want people to explain the inner workings of the systems and train-borne equipment etc. Just the basic purpose of it.

To be fair that doesn’t seem unreasonable. It’s basically a test of: “can you follow instructions and take on board information?”

The TOC could ask you "how many chicknes does it take to build a fence" it wouldn't matter. You need to answer it. At the end of the day; they set the homework and they set the questions. Feel free not to answer or not to check the homework. There are many other candidates who will.

If they briefed you on the number of chickens before the interview, and you couldn’t answer when asked, that wouldn’t look great :).

DriverGB

Super important to make sure you have fully digested the prep they sent, research the company as much as possible, think about how you can answer questions in a star format. Relax and be positive. What depot are you going for?
Victoria

Thank you all for your input, advice and help it’s much appreciated. Wish me luck

Cjaycc

Someone mentioned this the other day and I thought it was a mistake, but once they explained that SET told them to read up on TPWS for their interview it made more sense.

It would be unfair for them to not brief applicants and then ask questions on it, as it’s something an applicant shouldn’t really be expected to know about unless they’ve done some rules training before.

They are simply asking applicants to explain what they understand TPWS to be and what it’s intended for as far as I can tell, which seems reasonable (to be honest, it’s not the most technical of subjects anyway...). They’re not going to expect or want people to explain the inner workings of the systems and train-borne equipment etc. Just the basic purpose of it.

I’ve never been asked about it at a DMI either, but if I was asked to read up on the basics of it as I will be asked about it, I’d certainly advise doing so.

I was once asked about trailing points at an interview for a Depot Driver role, which I had no idea about as it was a technical question as far as I was concerned, and I wasn’t from an operations background. I wasn’t told I needed to know anything technical, so in that case and as an example, I’d deem that unfair. This scenario isn’t the same, as posted above.
To be honest i was asked about it and sent a sheet i felt they put that in there to see if ur willing to learn something and put the effort in without being forced if u can retain knowlage learnt so they dont put you on a course you will fail cause ur too lazy to even learn a basic understanding of tpws but i may be wrong ;)

Blackkat

Ppl jumping down my throat with out full understanding... this is a SE thread and I have a passed a SE DMI so I was sharing my knowledge to a fellow prospective colleague that was asking about a DMI for SE... sorry if your from other TOCs but on here reading SE related Q’s
It’s ok for who the info was intended for @DriverGB you can take note of my advise or not it’s your choice really. But either way I do Sincerely wish you the best of luck mate.

DriverGB

Ppl jumping down my throat with out full understanding... this is a SE thread and I have a passed a SE DMI so I was sharing my knowledge to a fellow prospective colleague that was asking about a DMI for SE... sorry if your from other TOCs but on here reading SE related Q’s
It’s ok for who the info was intended for @DriverGB you can take note of my advise or not it’s your choice really. But either way I do Sincerely wish you the best of luck mate.
Thank you for that @Blackkat I took in what you said and shall hope to see you one day.

DorkingMain

https://www.southeasternrailwaycare...941466A616E6A677A56724A34464F68437A4437397668

Its for 'future' opportunities.

To me this sounds like another talent pool. Was the previous pool cleared out or do people still have applications pending with Southeastern ?

Southeastern have a habit of throwing people in a talent pool and then forgetting about them for a while. I applied for an entry level job there several years ago, never heard anything back and then one day got contacted about 3 years later asking if I was still interested - by that point I'd applied to another TOC and been promoted so was quite happy to stay where I was.

Cjaycc

I love this and well said if you have not done one recently you should not be commenting giving wrong information to somone trying to get there dream job

Thank you for that @Blackkat I took in what you said and shall hope to see you one day.
I can confirm that having passed my dmi on the 19th the info he has given you will help alot also good luck

Michael Burton

I have been doing train maintenance and overhauls since 2008 and believe the contracting world is coming to a close. I'm looking for a career change and would like to get into train driving. What is my first step? Something COVID has taught me is that i need to have more of a work/ family balance and to have job security. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all

Blackkat

I have been doing train maintenance and overhauls since 2008 and believe the contracting world is coming to a close. I'm looking for a career change and would like to get into train driving. What is my first step? Something COVID has taught me is that i need to have more of a work/ family balance and to have job security. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all

Jump on Google mate search..Trainee train driver jobs and sign up for job alerts.... you can also save every TOC’s career page in your notes and check them everyday!
then just APPLY APPLY APPLY!!
(assuming you already have your cv drawn up and are happy it portrays the best version of you)

Jump on Google mate search..Trainee train driver jobs and sign up for job alerts.... you can also save every TOC’s career page in your notes and check them everyday!
(assuming you already have your cv drawn up and are happy it portrays the best version of you)

I love this and well said if you have not done one recently you should not be commenting giving wrong information to somone trying to get there dream job

I can confirm that having passed my dmi on the 19th the info he has given you will help alot also good luck
Congratulations on getting to DMI mate
Did you pass? What depot you applying for?

Cjaycc

Congratulations on getting to DMI mate
Did you pass? What depot you applying for?
Yes i did pass and charring cross starting on the 28th sept course excited

Gorlash1886

Indeed and that means we have nothing to worry about until tuesday when the nerves kick in again lol

Cjaycc

Indeed and that means we have nothing to worry about until tuesday when the nerves kick in again lol
Nah they would tell you on the day if u didnt pass something only thing they cant tell you is the drugs cause its sent off and i dont do drugs so im good lol

Gorlash1886

Indeed same here like I said in house passed everything I have never done drugs so no worries there, just looking forward to a contract.

DriverGB

Yes i did pass and charring cross starting on the 28th sept course excited
[/QUOT
Nah they would tell you on the day if u didnt pass something only thing they cant tell you is the drugs cause its sent off and i dont do drugs so im good lol
Congratulations on passing mate in relation to what you said about them telling you if you didn’t pass, would they tell me on the same day if I had passed my DMI?

Cjaycc

About the not passing was in relation to the medical not the dmi i would think within 48 hours you will know but i dont know how they do it. on my dmi i found out the same day but i dont know if everyone that passed would have as i dont know what there procedure is

Have you had your dmi?

DriverGB

About the not passing was in relation to the medical not the dmi i would think within 48 hours you will know but i dont know how they do it. on my dmi i found out the same day but i dont know if everyone that passed would have as i dont know what there procedure is

Have you had your dmi?
Oh I see, no not yet it’s in couple days time

Blackkat

I found out 10mins from walking out the DMI that they wanted me.
Even though I was told in the room it could be upto a week!
So I think it’s all dependable.
Not being smug but during my DMI I pretty much knew I had it in the bag from the way they was speaking to me towards the end of it ... just grateful I prepared so Extensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.