• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Snow Disruption - 11/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

Looks like the first down train on the Hastings line in about 24hrs is on its way - 1Z38 just left Tonbridge 10L, despite SE saying nothing until 4pm
Don't think this lasted long, only a few trains got through before the line was closed again. While I am sure it was a tricky situation, having almost no service all day the day before a two day strike is really not great and very inconvenient. I note that Southern ran fine through to nearby Uckfield all day - presumably because of it being diesel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe but were the deicers (ice inhibitors) out all day given the cold weather irrespective of the snow forecast as they are key enabler to keep trains moving and then you have a fighting chance of avoiding snow accumulation that can't be swept clear by the shoegear.
I cannot speak for Southeastern, but our trains were running with the de-icers on and sleet brushes down, however despite this a number of trains still got stuck requiring manual ice scraping and de-icing.

Class 466

Established Member
A little bit of disruption (well a lot) and now Highspeed services are being delayed through Ashford (They can only use Platforms 5&6) - 5L66 was 1L66 but is missing crew...

Attachments

• 1670883702237.png
    1670883702237.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 31

ComUtoR

Established Member
I cannot speak for Southeastern, but our trains were running with the de-icers on and sleet brushes down, however despite this a number of trains still got stuck requiring manual ice scraping and de-icing.

They have been in Ice mode and De-Icing for more than a week now.

brad465

Established Member
Just thinking about coming days. With temperatures unlikely to get above freezing for much of the week, and only marginally above if they do, seems to me that there is a pretty decent chance of service being ruined until Sunday afternoon - effectively nothing today, strikes Tues & Weds, Thurs likely to be a mess with nothing having run to clear snow/ice for 3 days, strikes again Fri & Sat...
If they can get something done on Thursday regarding clearing the lines then Saturday looks decent for melting stuff, potentially giving Sunday morning a head start. There is no snow forecast from here, so it's just the ice they have to worry about:

1670885400587.png
(Forecast in Maidstone showing sunny with 6C high.)

Established Member
Think it is the 375/8s that are set up to do de-icing.

That sounds right - I honestly can’t remember. Ice mode is on all Electrostars, including 376s, not sure about 707s. As above, on the majority that are not equipped with de icing kit, its function is merely to prevent electrical surges affecting signalling equipment. It isn’t present at all on the Networkers due to their simpler/older electrical equipment.

If they can get something done on Thursday regarding clearing the lines then Saturday looks decent for melting stuff, potentially giving Sunday morning a head start. There is no snow forecast from here, so it's just the ice they have to worry about:

View attachment 125161
(Forecast in Maidstone showing sunny with 6C high.)

Indeed. Of course the late start and limited traffic due to strikes won’t help matters, albeit what service does run will be fairly concentrated on a few key routes, so hopefully going forward those will prove more robust than today.

Status
Not open for further replies.