• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern to OLR: what could happen next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class800

Established Member
London going Tory if more likely than the country going Labour. There are Tory strongholds in London, but it is not that likely due to the FPTP system and the east end boroughs being typically staunch labour. Even if 99% of Bromley residents vote Tory it won't make a difference vs 51% of Bromley residents doing so

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
Also the SE Metro network is still complex, more complex than other metro routes, will all metro routes go to Cannon Street or will there be a split between Cannon Street and Charing Cross? And what about the Victoria to Gravesend route? That’s an oddity whether it’s routed via Woolwich, Bexleyheath or Sidcup and most metro routes appear to have Dartford as the end point, yet some metro services run beyond Dartford to Gravesend, the only thorn was the Gillingham service which was neither metro nor mainline but more like the Aylesbury via Harrow line, but that service is now a Thameslink service
Yes I think the Thameslink takeover of that service was partly to remove that thorn while the TfL takeover was still alive (and/or because TL can't run the 2tph they're running to Rainham through the more desirable BML corridor until East Croydon and Windmill Bridge Jct are upgraded). Gravesend and Sevenoaks would still have to be integrated into Oyster/Contactless zones, but given extensions to Reading and Gatwick that's nothing.

There are though issues regarding metro fleet, chiefly Networkers, still being involved in long distance operations that are more of an issue than the NK line Gillingham service. The two main ones are Victoria-Gillingham via the Chatham Mainline, and CHX-Tunbridge Wells' services. To a lesser extent the occasional Dover Priory extension is an issue for this proposal as well. Even if all official metro only services were fully integrated into TfL, sharing out the rolling stock is tricky; replacing the Networkers will make that easier, but I still think there'd be problems.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I think any hopes of transferring the SE metro to TfL are still a long way off.

It’ll either happen under a Labour Mayor/Labour Government or a Tory Mayor/Tory Government, right now there doesn’t seem to be any chance of London going Tory or the rest of the country going Labour.
It appears the transfer of great northern services are slowly proceeding to tfl grant shapps appears more pragmatic than Chris Grayling. So I wouldn't say it would be ruled out for political reasons.

Any transfer of services to tfl has ot be revenue neutral to the dft and as tfl is under emergency measures currently that's difficult to achieve

NorthKent1989

Established Member
It appears the transfer of great northern services are slowly proceeding to tfl grant shapps appears more pragmatic than Chris Grayling. So I wouldn't say it would be ruled out for political reasons.

Any transfer of services to tfl has ot be revenue neutral to the dft and as tfl is under emergency measures currently that's difficult to achieve

The Moorgate Inners are pretty much set for the Overground takeover, with the station refurbishments in the underground section, and the new trains, plus they’re pretty much self contained into one terminal.

The Dartford routes alone are a complex network in their own right, 4 routes (Sidcup, Bexleyheath, Woolwich and Greenwich) into four terminals (Victoria, CX, CS, Blackfriars thanks to Thameslink, and maybe 5 if we include St. Pancras as a terminal), mixture of inner and outer suburban services with mixed stopping patterns.

Im all for a TfL takeover, but I’m not sure if London Overground is the right one to run the SE metro routes, LO is more for simpler routes with one terminal like the Watford line or the Lea Valley lines, and the orbital routes with tube like frequencies.

I think the TfL Rail brand should remain in place for the South Eastern metro.

physics34

Established Member
I guess station signs will start getting the Rail Alphabet 2 treatment

py_megapixel

Established Member
Nah, it will be rebranded as "SOUTHEASTERN" with new stickers everywhere
Something like this? :)

SOUTHEASTERN.png

Picture shows "SOUTHEASTERN" in all capitals in the same colours as the current logo but a slightly different font, similar to the Northern 'rebrand' a few years ago.

(No, this isn't a leek of anything official; it's a joke).

ScotGG

Established Member
...and a practical one. Trying to run terminals as tight as Cannon Street and Charing Cross with competing priorities of two operators is completely against recent policy. TfL would be very limited in what it could improve with the need for the residual mainline railway to continue to operate longer distance services.
Everyone know there's no more paths at the terminals.

But there's the basics SE never got right in metroland. Some staffed stations would be nice rather than token efforts. Half decent rolling stock too and sorting the dirty old 465/466s too. Creating an appealling urban railway was never a concern.

Stations open to any and all dodgy characters wasn't smart.

Every time this comes up people say the DfT could do it, and each and every time they havnt.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I think any hopes of transferring the SE metro to TfL are still a long way off.

It’ll either happen under a Labour Mayor/Labour Government or a Tory Mayor/Tory Government, right now there doesn’t seem to be any chance of London going Tory or the rest of the country going Labour.

Also the SE Metro network is still complex, more complex than other metro routes, will all metro routes go to Cannon Street or will there be a split between Cannon Street and Charing Cross? And what about the Victoria to Gravesend route? That’s an oddity whether it’s routed via Woolwich, Bexleyheath or Sidcup and most metro routes appear to have Dartford as the end point, yet some metro services run beyond Dartford to Gravesend, the only thorn was the Gillingham service which was neither metro nor mainline but more like the Aylesbury via Harrow line, but that service is now a Thameslink service
I think the plan was to split between cannon Street and charing Cross but have a fixed terminal point so you wouldn't get a mixture of Cannon Street and charing Cross services calling at Hayes say it would be either or.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Would it? 3 weeks to get all the contracts etc changed over is already a big task - I'd be surprised if it could be done faster.
Given the ERMA was due to end on 16th October anyway, OLR will almost certainly have already been working away in the background in case (as has happened) there was no extension forthcoming.

A similar situation will no doubt be occuring at Chiltern, ready to take over from 1st January 2022 if no Direct Award is forthcoming.

Mikey C

Established Member
I don't get the benefit of TfL taking over a complex route network, which is well integrated with the rest of the Southeastern route network.

Yes there are clearly issues with how the train service is being managed now, but surely the solution is to fix this within GBR, rather than creating an artificial split. Having alternative termini is both useful for passengers, but also essential for when engineering work is planned, imagine how farcical it would be if SE trains were cancelled for the weekend because the "metro station" at Cannon Street was closed for the weekend, and they weren't allowed to use Charing Cross.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
imagine how farcical it would be if SE trains were cancelled for the weekend because the "metro station" at Cannon Street was closed for the weekend, and the
It would indeed hardly make sense for SE trains to lose access to Cannon Street for weekday peak services.

Aictos

Established Member
The Dartford routes alone are a complex network in their own right, 4 routes (Sidcup, Bexleyheath, Woolwich and Greenwich) into four terminals (Victoria, CX, CS, Blackfriars thanks to Thameslink, and maybe 5 if we include St. Pancras as a terminal), mixture of inner and outer suburban services with mixed stopping patterns.
I disagree, there's only 4 terminals for Southeastern if that, counting London Victoria, Charing Cross, St Pancras and Cannon Street although I'm not sure you can count Blackfriars seeing as it only gets 2 arrivals and one departure a day in public service.

matt_world2004

Established Member
There was nothing in the London metro plan that said anything about southeastern losing access to Cannon Street just that the metro services devolved to tfl in regular service would serve specific terminals based on their calling pattern.

So for example if Hayes services in regular service would serve cannon Street only there would be nothing preventing them from serving Charing Cross during engineering works. Indeed this is not without precedent tfl Rail currently serve terminal 5 despite not calling at it before the pandemic.

brad465

Established Member
I disagree, there's only 4 terminals for Southeastern if that, counting London Victoria, Charing Cross, St Pancras and Cannon Street although I'm not sure you can count Blackfriars seeing as it only gets 2 arrivals and one departure a day in public service.
Pre-covid Southeastern had quite a few peak services serving Blackfriars, two Maidstone East line runs each way, peak Beckenham Jct to BFR stoppers and a few Chatham mainline stoppers to/from Rochester, IIRC.

Aictos

Established Member
Pre-covid Southeastern had quite a few peak services serving Blackfriars, two Maidstone East line runs each way, peak Beckenham Jct to BFR stoppers and a few Chatham mainline stoppers to/from Rochester, IIRC.
But not at the moment so currently you cannot count Blackfriars as a terminus for Southeastern until it sees a massive increase in SE services using it, the fact that pre covid it saw quite a few SE services is neither here or there.

NorthKent1989

Established Member

But the Woolwich line is served by Thameslink which serves Blackfriars which is a London terminal station so and Thameslink is pretty integrated with the SE network

Aictos

Established Member
But the Woolwich line is served by Thameslink which serves Blackfriars which is a London terminal station so and Thameslink is pretty integrated with the SE network
You could use that argument and say that Thameslink is pretty integrated with the Southern network too so my original point still stands, it doesn't matter that Thameslink serves London Blackfriars because the original statement was about SouthEastern which is a altogether different operator to Thameslink.

Yes London Blackfriars may be a London Terminal but the fact remains that for the past 18 months or so and still today, the fact that it only sees 3 trains a train in public service isn't enough to count it as a London terminus for SE passengers, ramp it up to say a hourly service all day then sure but for three trains, it's not worth it.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Thameslink though will never get taken over by tfl regardless of the Southeastern being taken over or not, so the Luton - Rainham service as long as it stays in its current form is here to stay with Thameslink.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Thameslink though will never get taken over by tfl regardless of the Southeastern being taken over or not, so the Luton - Rainham service as long as it stays in its current form is here to stay with Thameslink.

If Thameslink were to be removed from the Woolwich line then I can see SE or whatever replaces it, making the Rainham service into a Charing Cross service again, but that service will never become a TfL service as Dartford/Gravesend is as far as TfL are willing to operate to.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If Thameslink were to be removed from the Woolwich line then I can see SE or whatever replaces it, making the Rainham service into a Charing Cross service again, but that service will never become a TfL service as Dartford/Gravesend is as far as TfL are willing to operate to.
Don't forget though that part of the reason the Rainham train is a Thameslink service is that it isn't practical to access Charing Cross from the Greenwich line and the other part is that there isn't anywhere sensible to send an 8-car Thameslink service on the Southern network.

A S Leib

Thameslink though will never get taken over by tfl
Presumably TfL sees Peterborough and Littlehampton as too far outside of London, but could the St. Albans - Sutton loop and Orpington and Rainham services be viable, or would having multiple operators through the central core be more trouble than its worth?

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
It will never happen. Tfl even on its proposed tube map for services they wanted to take over never included any thameslink services

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Don't forget though that part of the reason the Rainham train is a Thameslink service is that it isn't practical to access Charing Cross from the Greenwich line and the other part is that there isn't anywhere sensible to send an 8-car Thameslink service on the Southern network.

For the moment, once Windmill Junction is upgraded then kiss goodbye Thameslink from the Woolwich line as I can’t see that service lasting once they can get access to more Southern services

I also meant that it’ll be a Charing Cross service via Lewisham like before and obviously not via Greenwich, the Rainham service is essentially two services in one,
1: The old CS to Dartford via Greenwich
2: The old CX to Gillingham via Lewisham
You could use that argument and say that Thameslink is pretty integrated with the Southern network too so my original point still stands, it doesn't matter that Thameslink serves London Blackfriars because the original statement was about SouthEastern which is a altogether different operator to Thameslink.

Yes London Blackfriars may be a London Terminal but the fact remains that for the past 18 months or so and still today, the fact that it only sees 3 trains a train in public service isn't enough to count it as a London terminus for SE passengers, ramp it up to say a hourly service all day then sure but for three trains, it's not worth it.

My original point was that most of the Dartford routes are served by three or four London terminals, regardless if it’s it’s SE or Thameslink

JonathanH

Veteran Member
For the moment, once Windmill Junction is upgraded then kiss goodbye Thameslink from the Woolwich line as I can’t see that service lasting once they can get access to more Southern services
Windmill Junction isn't getting upgraded any time soon. An eight-car service isn't particularly helpful via East Croydon. The Rainham service will be fairly well established by the time any work is done. What replaces the capacity via Greenwich?

Great news that TFL are being widely tipped to take over the Metro network. This can only mean good things for staff and passengers.

Established Member
Great news that TFL are being widely tipped to take over the Metro network. This can only mean good things for staff and passengers.

They’ve been saying that for years and I doubt it will ever happen. Is TFL really in a position to take on another large and complex metro network?

Status
Not open for further replies.