• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Trainee Driver - All Depots - (20/09/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shunterman

With Victoria as your chosen location, I'd be tempted to put in for the Central London depots of all of the other TOCs. That said, give them an email or call to make sure they haven't forgotten about you.

I know of someone who applied for a driving role and got a phone call out of the blue from the TOC five years later, sat the aptitude tests and went in to qualify as a driver.
Good afternoon,

Completely off topic but seen you're reply on another post about being a driver with asperges. I've been a shunt/driver for 4 years and recently have been diagnosed with ADHD, now the medical company a throwing a spanner in the works rendering me unfit for the job role, any idea where I stand on this?

Economist

Good afternoon,

Completely off topic but seen you're reply on another post about being a driver with asperges. I've been a shunt/driver for 4 years and recently have been diagnosed with ADHD, now the medical company a throwing a spanner in the works rendering me unfit for the job role, any idea where I stand on this?

Best bet is to go through ASLEF, they've been quite vocal about neurodiversity in the ASLEF Journal. PM me if you like, though I don't know if there's a minimum number of posts you need to have to do that.

shunterman

Unfortunately it's a private sidings with mainline access, so we aren't with the ASLEFA although I'm sure they will hold some kind of sway with the authority they have on the mainline.

Established Member
Good afternoon,

Is that due to medication? Worth following up with occupational health.

Aviator88

Good afternoon,

Depending on the 'type' of ADHD, I can't see why it would affect your performance - my SIL is a guard and, like yourself, recently diagnosed with ADHD. She was asked a bunch of questions and signed as fit for work the very same day.

I know that some medications for ADHD are amphetamine based, however, which I would imagine would be a problem.

shunterman

Is that due to medication? Worth following up with occupational health.
Due to medication and "risk of becoming incapacitated" which I understand to be a risk to everybody.

Depending on the 'type' of ADHD, I can't see why it would affect your performance - my SIL is a guard and, like yourself, recently diagnosed with ADHD. She was asked a bunch of questions and signed as fit for work the very same day.

I know that some medications for ADHD are amphetamine based, however, which I would imagine would be a problem.
Yes unfortunately my medication type is amphetamine based, but as most people are aware nowadays, that affects me alot different to your average "mentally sane" person.

As you could imagine I am at loose ends on what I now want to do with my career, unsure whether to pursue the battle with medicals or opt for another role within the company.

Hey there,

I passed the assessment centre 2 weeks ago and completed the following processes of the application.

Screening Questions
Group Bourdon paper test.
TEA-Occ paper test.
The Trainability for Rules and Procedures test (TRP)
The WAFV vigilance test
The ATAVT Perception Test
The 2Hand Co-ordination Test
The Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE)
Visual Search Exercise (VSE)

I've read some of the replies in this thread and its quiet concerning about other peoples experiences.

What's the actual chances of being put through to become a train driver at this point?

Many thanks

Traffic71

Hey there,

I passed the assessment centre 2 weeks ago and completed the following processes of the application.

Screening Questions
Group Bourdon paper test.
TEA-Occ paper test.
The Trainability for Rules and Procedures test (TRP)
The WAFV vigilance test
The ATAVT Perception Test
The 2Hand Co-ordination Test
The Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE)
Visual Search Exercise (VSE)

I've read some of the replies in this thread and its quiet concerning about other peoples experiences.

What's the actual chances of being put through to become a train driver at this point?

Many thanks
I passed the same in December and afterwards were told we would hear in the New Year when we’d be invited for the next step. They didn’t say when in the New Year or what year! From what I’ve read on all these threads, mainly Southeastern and Southern, it seems there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to any of it. Some seem to breeze through almost instantly and others wait and wait. The communication from both those Tocs of late has been woeful. I would suggest you get on with your life and don’t hold out much hope. Anything further is a bonus.

I passed the same in December and afterwards were told we would hear in the New Year when we’d be invited for the next step. They didn’t say when in the New Year or what year! From what I’ve read on all these threads, mainly Southeastern and Southern, it seems there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to any of it. Some seem to breeze through almost instantly and others wait and wait. The communication from both those Tocs of late has been woeful. I would suggest you get on with your life and don’t hold out much hope. Anything further is a bonus.
Hey mate,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Do you know if it’s possible to transfer the results over to another TOC? Or do we have to do them again?

Traffic71

Hey mate,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Do you know if it’s possible to transfer the results over to another TOC? Or do we have to do them again?
I did ask Southern that very question. They said they do check on applicants prior to their assessment day but it’s more than likely that you’d have to do it again (unless others can tell you otherwise).

Sonkicks

this application is now currently closed I assume they want to sift through the current applicants and backlog.

Last edited:

Ben3258

Total nonsense
How is that nonsense?
The only courses at the moment are for metro work because that’s where SE are bleeding drivers.
Ashford are over stocked after the Blackfriars’s plan went wrong, Tonbridge is rammed and has a transfer list - much like any other coastal depot.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The only courses at the moment are for metro work because that’s where SE are bleeding drivers.

Mainline (especially Ashford) already had a huge recruitment drive. Next course will have 5 Mainline

Ashford are over stocked

Nope, and Ashford will be recruiting soon.

Tonbridge is rammed and has a transfer list - much like any other coastal depot.

All depot have a transfer list. Mainline isn't as heavy as you might think. (Gillingham is highest with Tonbridge a close second)

15 on the next intake for SE. Only 3 are internals
10 on the previous intake (Metro only) and only 2 were internal

Being internal doesn't make it any easier to get into the driving grade. Sometimes, it can make it worse. What internals do gain over externals is that insider knowledge and experience. Many of the questions at interview are easily checked because of it. However, the numbers don't carry forward. External recruitments far exceeds internals. I don't have any specific pass/fail numbers for either but anecdotally I hear plenty of internal fails across the board.

Last edited:

Established Member
Tonbridge is rammed and has a transfer list - much like any other coastal depot.

Not sure Tonbridge can fairly be described as a coastal depot!

Being internal doesn't make it any easier to get into the driving grade. Sometimes, it can make it worse. What internals do gain over externals is that insider knowledge and experience. Many of the questions at interview are easily checked because of it. However, the numbers don't carry forward. External recruitments far exceeds internals. I don't have any specific pass/fail numbers for either but anecdotally I hear plenty of internal fails across the board.

That’s very true based on what I saw and heard from trainers and others involved in the training school process.

What do you think the biggest reason for failure of internals is?

Sonkicks

Mainline (especially Ashford) already had a huge recruitment drive. Next course will have 5 Mainline

Nope, and Ashford will be recruiting soon.

All depot have a transfer list. Mainline isn't as heavy as you might think. (Gillingham is highest with Tonbridge a close second)

15 on the next intake for SE. Only 3 are internals
10 on the previous intake (Metro only) and only 2 were internal

Any idea on Costal depots like Hastings?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Any idea on Coastal depots like Hastings?

Hastings is notoriously difficult but the next course I mentioned has 1 Hastings Trainee. They normally build courses with multiple people from the same depot so not seeing any more than 1 Hastings Trainee suggests that's gonna be it. They look pretty full with plenty in supply.

Next best for Mainline is certainly going to be Ashford.

Sonkicks

Hastings is notoriously difficult but the next course I mentioned has 1 Hastings Trainee. They normally build courses with multiple people from the same depot so not seeing any more than 1 Hastings Trainee suggests that's gonna be it. They look pretty full with plenty in supply.

Next best for Mainline is certainly going to be Ashford.
I initially put Hastings as Depot of choice.

Can you DM me if possible?

Last edited:

Nivz

Hey guys. Has anyone had a interview this week and have you got a response from them on if you passed or not.

krisg92

Anyone had any recent DMI's at Ashford? Or know where they at with them? I.e waiting times? Do they have vacancies ect

Last edited:

Grvrdvicdr

Thanks for the reply

Any idea where this information has come from? Only I've been told different. It's all word of mouth
I’m a Se driver who frequents the depot. Drivers aren’t retiring or leaving until a pay deal gets agreed. Unlike London depots where there’s constant movements to other TOCS

Established Member
I’m a Se driver who frequents the depot. Drivers aren’t retiring or leaving until a pay deal gets agreed. Unlike London depots where there’s constant movements to other TOCS

I guess the back pay will be a fair few K for many, and higher the longer this continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.