• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern 313 at Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyc20050

I saw 313214 at Havant today operating the 1930 Brighton to Southampton. How rare is this as I'm only aware that 313's have run Littlehampton/Barnham to Southampton a couple of weekends during engineering works and not the whole coastway.

Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samogers

http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/news/southern/2011-313s-reach-southampton.html

Not the first time either
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not sure and someone could probably give a better reason but there were a few 4 car 377s operating the BTN - WWO shuttles and the BTN to Portsmouth trains both services meant for 313s. So, maybe the reason you saw a 313 on the Southampton service was because of stock displacement as a result of the 377s running on some of the 313 diagrammed services?

Last edited:

HBM

A 313 is diagrammed this week Tuesday to Friday for the 19:30 Brighton to Southampton and 21:33 Southampton to Brighton. Last day today.

It is because of the Goodwood (near Chichester) Race Meeting. The 377 from the 17:33 from Southampton which would normally form the 19:30 from Brighton is being used to strengthen a Victoria bound service from Chichester / Barnham. A 313 is therefore covering the inbound working from Barnham to Brighton to form the 19:30.

I believe this is the only deliberately diagrammed 313 working to Southampton. Any other use of a 313 will only be during disruption to service and even then is extremely rare.
Sorry my typo on previous reply the return working at 21:33 from Barnham in fact terminates at Barnham as scheduled.
21:33 from Southampton. I'll wake up later!!!!!

tony6499

1 3/4hrs with no toilet is not customer friendly, bet the guards get plenty of complaints

HBM

Ironically the 313 didn't make it to Southampton this evening. Due to late running the 19:30 from Brighton was terminated short at Fareham and therefore the return working to Barnham also started at Fareham.

This is nothing unusual, Southern have a diabolical reliability record on West Coastway in to Portsmouth and Southampton. Today alone the service above was one of 16 that hasn't made it to the booked Portsmouth / Southampton destination.

There was an article in a recent edition of Modern Railways that highlighted the unacceptable standard of service provided in this area.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Ironically the 313 didn't make it to Southampton this evening. Due to late running the 19:30 from Brighton was terminated short at Fareham and therefore the return working to Barnham also started at Fareham.

This is nothing unusual, Southern have a diabolical reliability record on West Coastway in to Portsmouth and Southampton. Today alone the service above was one of 16 that hasn't made it to the booked Portsmouth / Southampton destination.

There was an article in a recent edition of Modern Railways that highlighted the unacceptable standard of service provided in this area.

Southern seem to love terminating short/running fast at 10 minute delays. Back in January my train for Portsmouth Harbour (I was going to Southsea) was terminated at Fratton some 17 minutes late, and after disruption had blocked the line via Haslemere a few hours earlier and my train had several people already affected by that (and before this FGW had terminated 20-25 late at Redhill, at least they'd managed to get a Gatwick Express to stop and take us to the airport).
As for yesterday, it seems there was a crew shortage which caused the Southampton Central portion (possibly Portsmouth Harbour portions too) of many trains from London not running after splitting at wherever they do (remember Barnham mentioned but Horsham is used a lot so I'm not sure which it was).

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Weekdays all Off Peak Brighton-Portsmouth services are booked 313s.

Status
Not open for further replies.