• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern annual season ticket renewal discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shempz

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Annual Season Tickets for Southern would receive any renewal discount in 2014? I renewed my Uckfield-London + Z1-6 season ticket online in December, but did not get a discount, and don't even know if there should have been any TOC performance related discount? I'm also struggling to find where this info would be located.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As far as I know , as Southern do Delay Repay, you need to claim on an individual journey basis rather than have passengers charter discounts.

Shempz

Thanks Yorkie. I guess I'll have to be vigilant with my delay claims going forward!

In theory though...I could get the season ticket with a TOC that operates under passenger charter discounts, and continue to claim delay repays from Southern, thereby getting the best of both worlds?

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
In theory though...I could get the season ticket with a TOC that operates under passenger charter discounts, and continue to claim delay repays from Southern, thereby getting the best of both worlds?

Surely Southern are both faresetter/operator for journeys from Uckfield -> London, what other season ticket would you be able to get for this flow?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Are whether you get charter discounts or delay repay purely based on who sets the fare for the journey between the two stations on your season ticket?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are whether you get charter discounts or delay repay purely based on who sets the fare for the journey between the two stations on your season ticket?

I believe so. That and the service group a particular flow falls into. (Services of a TOC will probably be divided into several service groups whose performances are measured independently.)

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I believe so. That and the service group a particular flow falls into. (Services of a TOC will probably be divided into several service groups whose performances are measured independently.)

Only seven TOCs are still working under the Charter Discount rules:
  • Arriva Trains Wales
  • Chiltern Railways
  • First Great Western
  • First Transpennine Express
  • Northern
  • ScotRail
  • South West Trains

Of those, Chiltern only use a single service group; ATW have seven; FGW have six (with the Thames Valley and High Speed groups seemingly permanently in discount); TPE have three; Northern have ten; ScotRail have seven; and SWT have eight.

infobleep

Veteran Member
So as South West Trains set the fares from Dorking stations to London, I take it, it would fall under South West Trains for charter discounts, even though one is entitled to get services run by First Great Western and Southern.

In this case would I be right in thinking that one could apply for delay repay from Southern as well as getting discounts from South West Trains charter but they couldn't get discounts from First Great Western's charter.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In this case would I be right in thinking that one could apply for delay repay from Southern as well as getting discounts from South West Trains charter but they couldn't get discounts from First Great Western's charter.

Surely Southern won't entertain a delay repay claim for a season ticket that they know is an SWT flow?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
But getting compensated twice (once by SN delay repay, and also by SWT charter discount) wouldn't be right?

Some people may not feel morally correct doing this, but equally I don't think there is anything stopping the passenger from claiming from Southern and benefiting from Charter discounts from SWT, as things stand.

greatkingrat

Established Member
It can work the other way too.

If you had a Reigate - Gatwick season (priced by Southern), but travelled on the direct FGW train, you wouldn't be able to get any compensation from either operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.