• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
That's very interesting - wonder what for. Can't imagine it's for tyre tuning when there's only 10 days left in service....
Refurbishment and bi-mode conversion for North Downs Line work... ;)

Lathe attention
Wow - is that to allow it to run to scrapping...!? I wonder, though, if the wheel sets are retained after scrapping as spares (they probably can't be used on other classes)?

Sm5

Refurbishment and bi-mode conversion for North Downs Line work... ;)

Wow - is that to allow it to run to scrapping...!? I wonder, though, if the wheel sets are retained after scrapping as spares (they probably can't be used on other classes)?
455/8’s were going for scrap with spotless refurbished bogies.
That said as for the 442’s….

your tax dollars at work there.

warwickshire

On Moderation
That's very interesting - wonder what for. Can't imagine it's for tyre tuning when there's only 10 days left in service....
Tyre turning could be possible. Remember back end of 2020, the Northern Rail pacers had the same ie tyre turning back at Ardwick, prior to going to Heaton, for storage, possible same outcome maybe some 313s are going to Selhurst, prior to Storage at Eastleigh ?.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Tyre turning could be possible. Remember back end of 2020, the Northern Rail pacers had the same ie tyre turning back at Ardwick, prior to going to Heaton, for storage, possible same outcome maybe some 313s are going to Selhurst, prior to Storage at Eastleigh ?.
What is the logic behind tyre turning for storage?

Sm5

Is there room at Eastleigh for the whole lot of them?
1 siding in newport has managed hundreds of vehicles last year, so no reason Eastleigh can’t.

Have the pair that went last month been scrapped yet ?

antharro

When the 442s were first withdrawn, they all went to Eastleigh for storage. There were 24 five carriage trains. Southern have 10 three carriage 313s. They'll fit into Eastleigh just fine as long as Eastleigh have space.

warwickshire

On Moderation
What is the logic behind tyre turning for storage?
Have to be handed back I believe in a good condition. Ie good condition to go off lease.
Maybe like the pacers some 313s, might need the same trip to the wheelathe. However keeping it very brief for this thread ,some of the pacers had so bad wheelflats, in final days November 2020. The wheelathe had to be careful as they was on the bare minimum, to get them safely to Heaton, ie bare minimum tread. However the 313 to the Wheelathe, could well be cheaper then it requiring new wheelsets/bogies etc.

If anybody knows of any preservation societies looking to preserve any of the remaining 313s I would imagine they are owned by Angel Trains.

If this is the case, queries can be made to Stewart Masterson who is in charge of all enquiries to do with leasing and preservation of trains that the company owns.

I only found that out myself back in 2018 after I made enquiries regarding preservation of at least 2 class 508 units with the possibility of returning them to their original 4 coach formations.

I was informed that the price of the class 507 & 508 units in their current 3 coach formations was £20,000 and all the units would be sold as seen.

I have no information on how much the purchase price of a class 313 unit would be but Stewart is the man in the know on that front.

that1pepfan

On Moderation
If anybody knows of any preservation societies looking to preserve any of the remaining 313s I would imagine they are owned by Angel Trains.

If this is the case, queries can be made to Stewart Masterson who is in charge of all enquiries to do with leasing and preservation of trains that the company owns.

I only found that out myself back in 2018 after I made enquiries regarding preservation of at least 2 class 508 units with the possibility of returning them to their original 4 coach formations.

I was informed that the price of the class 507 & 508 units in their current 3 coach formations was £20,000 and all the units would be sold as seen.

I have no information on how much the purchase price of a class 313 unit would be but Stewart is the man in the know on that front.
Porterbrook I thought owned them...?

prod_pep

Established Member
Beacon Rail own the remaining 313s. It was they who commissioned the repaint of 313201 into BR blue and grey in the first place, so I hope they don't scrap it in the near future.

None of the 313s at Eastleigh have been scrapped, no.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Have to be handed back I believe in a good condition. Ie good condition to go off lease.
Maybe like the pacers some 313s, might need the same trip to the wheelathe. However keeping it very brief for this thread ,some of the pacers had so bad wheelflats, in final days November 2020. The wheelathe had to be careful as they was on the bare minimum, to get them safely to Heaton, ie bare minimum tread. However the 313 to the Wheelathe, could well be cheaper then it requiring new wheelsets/bogies etc.
Could equally have a as yet unconfirmed new owner. I believe a gwr pacer went for work before moving on.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I thought there was 19 of them or has the 3 that went first already been cut ?
Sorry I meant 16 in service/not withdrawn but this has now been reduced to 15

202/214/217 went to Eastleigh in March and haven't been cut to my knowledge
201/208 went to Eastleigh yesterday
211 is at Selhurst for the lathe
210 was rumoured to go to Eastleigh today but not sure what is happening
Not sure if any are in Hove Yard

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Since rhe start of this week, the Brighton Pompey turns have been in the hands of 377/3s, bar a few evening peak runs.

Littlehampton Pompey, the PEPs are still clinging on. 204 and 209 today, in weak sunlight.

And - not in sunshine (that's our sunny south coast for you!) but purely for a bit of nostalgia - 201 from back-end March; and another pic of the Sussex Rambler.

Attachments

• 313204_Bedhampton_1.JPG
    313204_Bedhampton_1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
  • 313209_Bedhampton.JPG
    313209_Bedhampton.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 313201_Bedhampton_2.JPG
    313201_Bedhampton_2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 313213_313201_Havant.JPG
    313213_313201_Havant.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 56

D7666

Will any 313s run again ?

From today inclusive, every day to start of new timetable (when 313s should be gone) is either strike day (no trains) or an overtime ban day (reduced service)or a Sunday (no 313s anyway) ..... it is entirely possible those trains that are nominally booked 313s that do run in the next week or so could all be covered by 377s released by the reduced service elsewhere.

Just speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.