• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class387

Established Member
See what is allocated on the blog in the morning
Could I ask what the diagram numbers (BI701 etc) on the blog correspond to this week, since I assume it's different to the WTT ones? Apologies for the ignorance and thanks for posting everything.

03_179

Established Member
The diagrams are on there.
Tomorrow I may do it slightly different as it is the last day and put the unit and the corresponding diagram on one sheet

prod_pep

Established Member
Tomorrow I may do it slightly different as it is the last day and put the unit and the corresponding diagram on one sheet
I'd appreciate it very much if you could, as I won't get to the coast until 10.00pm tomorrow which doesn't leave a lot of time to find the last service.

class387

Established Member
Great, thank you - was just checking given that there are no through Portsmouth services this week so thought they might have changed.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Great, thank you - was just checking given that there are no through Portsmouth services this week so thought they might have changed.
Pompey still getting some PEPs Mon to Fri.

Brighton Pompey turns, PEPs early in the morning peak and in the evening.

Littlehampton Pompey turns - all this week, the PEPS are mostly showing up on early mornings and the evenings - but there hasn't been any consistency.

My post this morning: PEPs 207 / 215 running into and out from Pompey.

prod_pep

Established Member
They're still claiming 313s will be out on Saturday:
Hi James, the 313s will be running Saturday 20 May on the Brighton & Lewes/Seaford routes and some to Barnham. Please note that we’re running an amended timetable with fewer trains on this day; services will be starting later and finishing earlier than usual. ^Kirsty
I think they're going to have a hard time of it on social media on Saturday if no 313s turn out, which by all accounts will indeed be the case. A Southern driver who kindly replied to my tweet believes the 2353 Seaford - Brighton on Friday will be the last 313-run service.

prod_pep

Established Member
A further Tweet I've just received from Southern:
It's been confirmed by our fleet department and the Head of Operations that 313's are operating on this date between Brighton & Lewes/Seaford routes as well as some to Barnham, albeit on an amended timetable so a few less than normal. ^Kirsty

A further Tweet I've just received from Southern:
Fair enough, although I asked a driver and a guard (who were both subsequently heading up from Bognor to Barnham on 313211) whether they would operate that day, and they said they wouldn't. I do suspect though if they do in the end operate anything, I cannot see them realistically operating to Barnham anyway, due to the low capacity of three cars on a 2 tph service on a relatively busy section of line. Even if they coupled the units together into a 6 car train, its still unrealistic that they [the guys at Lover's walk] would go out of their way to send about 20% of their fleet (out of the 10 left presumably, but probably fewer if any break down on Friday) on a relatively long (by class 313 standards) trip. If they operate anything, I would suspect its more likely to be Seaford services, because if something goes wrong on the last day, that's a quicker trip to send out a rescue train to pull it back to Lover's Walk to be prepared for scrapping. Obviously, thats my assumption no, so don't quote me on that if you want something entirely accurate. Based on those tweets from southern, I am not sure when would be a good day to go out, because I want to head out to the Seaford Branch for a few last trips on 313s (as well as to experience the Seaford Branch again anyways), but I am not sure whether I should go tomorrow (friday, in the evening) or on saturday (albeit, with a bus from Bognor to Littlehampton).

prod_pep

Established Member
The plot thickens. Another Tweet:
Hello all, we've just now been informed that it'll be the 313's last day is tomorrow (19/05/2023 CONFIRMED). 21:41 from BTN - SEF will then terminate and run non stop to BTN. Apologies for any confusion caused. ^Kirsty
I think she means the 2341 Brighton - Seaford, which on Friday only then forms the following non-stop service back to Brighton: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:60760/2023-05-20/detailed. It looks like this service will be put on to take those interested in seeing off the 313s back to Brighton.

As you were, folks. If you want your last rides on these trains, make sure it's tomorrow. Just glad I decided to go down on Friday night rather than Saturday morning!

The plot thickens. Another Tweet:

I think she means the 2341 Brighton - Seaford, which on Friday only then forms the following non-stop service back to Brighton: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:60760/2023-05-20/detailed. It looks like this service will be put on to take those interested in seeing off the 313s back to Brighton.

As you were, folks. If you want your last rides on these trains, make sure it's tomorrow. Just glad I decided to go down on Friday night rather than Saturday morning!
Fair enough that makes more sense. I will book a ticket to Seaford for some last day 313 action for tomorrow based on that southern tweet. I guess their logic that Saturday would be the last day was probably based on outdated plans, from before the overtime ban was announced that, in an ideal world, was to involve some final day trips to Seaford (but probably not to Portsmouth Harbour by that point in case something goes wrong). Thank you all in the forum for finding out when I need to book, because that would be irritating to spend 13 pounds on a Littlehampton (where I'll be going from) to Seaford ticket, only for the goal of the trip to fail.

prod_pep

Established Member
Thank you all in the forum for finding out when I need to book, because that would be irritating to spend 13 pounds on a Littlehampton (where I'll be going from) to Seaford ticket, only for the goal of the trip to fail.
Indeed, at least we know now. There is thankfully a train to Worthing at 0121 that night which saves an expensive taxi or the dread of the night bus.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
The final day on the West Coastway. Pompey Littlehampton turns have been Electrostars this morning.

Only PEP I've seen was 215 on the 07:17 Pompey to Brighton. Grey morning - the photos I took were merely "record shot".

Wish I'd gone to Bedhampton Station on Thursday morning, tp capture 207 and 215 passing each other in glorious sun...

I'll see what surfaces this evening peak, else the last west coastway day will be bleak.

InvHst

313211 has some afternoon and evening peak work now.

2P81 2P40 2P29 2S26 2S23 2P54 2P89 2P56 2P37 2S34 2S31 2P70

would have posted quicker but I'm currently traveling through the Highlands

sharpinf

313211 has terminated into pf4 at Bognor, 377412 has now picked up BI706 from 2P21 11:05 Bognor - Littlehampton presume based on @InvHst post #1224 above mine until 2P81 at 14:36

Edit: Unit now as mentioned by others returning to Lovers Walk ECS

Last edited:

prod_pep

Established Member
Excellent. If it happens, that unit will have worked both the very first and very last Class 313 passenger services.

paul1609

Established Member
The final day on the West Coastway. Pompey Littlehampton turns have been Electrostars this morning.

Only PEP I've seen was 215 on the 07:17 Pompey to Brighton. Grey morning - the photos I took were merely "record shot".

Wish I'd gone to Bedhampton Station on Thursday morning, tp capture 207 and 215 passing each other in glorious sun...

I'll see what surfaces this evening peak, else the last west coastway day will be bleak.
I came down from Appledore to Littlehampton on Weds evening at around 15.00, with the even more reduced timetable because of the ASLEF action both the 18.00 to Littlehampton 4 car and 18.15 8 car to Southampton via Littlehampton left people at Hove because they couldnt physically fit people on the trains. Scheduling 3 car 313s would be madness, they should have all been withdrawn from the West Coastway when the reduced timetable was introduced they can hardly be short of 377s.

James Wake

313211 has some afternoon and evening peak work now.

2P81 2P40 2P29 2S26 2S23 2P54 2P89 2P56 2P37 2S34 2S31 2P70

would have posted quicker but I'm currently traveling through the Highlands
Looks like 313211 might be forming 1345 5Z57 to Lovers Walk, which I think means the end on the West Coastway

Status
Not open for further replies.