• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Graham H

It is indeed. 214 was split into 3 vehicles last week, each edging their way closer. 202 was in a similar position. Not sure what’s next after 202.
Unless theres another shunt then unit 220 is visible from the public road and is on the same scrap line as 202 and is already anonymous apparently as the unit numbers, coach numbers and anything with a number/data on has been cut out presumably for sale to raise funds somewhere

camerar1

Unless theres another shunt then unit 220 is visible from the public road and is on the same scrap line as 202 and is already anonymous apparently as the unit numbers, coach numbers and anything with a number/data on has been cut out presumably for sale to raise funds somewhere
I was at the fence at Eastleigh Works this morning, and my report draws upon contributions in this forum, with thanks.

Roger B

I was at the fence at Eastleigh Works this morning, and my report draws upon contributions in this forum, with thanks.

Many thanks Camerar1.

Were you able to see 153385 - the 153 that's now in departmental service. I've seen it many times, but not since it's tranfer into departmental fleet. Thinking of taking a trip - but not worth it if it's hidden away.

Many thanks

fgwrich

Established Member
Many thanks Camerar1.

Were you able to see 153385 - the 153 that's now in departmental service. I've seen it many times, but not since it's tranfer into departmental fleet. Thinking of taking a trip - but not worth it if it's hidden away.

Many thanks
The 153 doesn’t venture into Eastleigh Works anymore, rather just stabling next to Eastleigh Station now. In recent weeks it’s been 311 and 376 down here now too.

trainmania100

Established Member
Does anyone know why decommissioned units like the 313s and 455s get graffiti on hove Yard, yet the stabled units like 377 and 387 rarely seem to get tagged?

Obviously this happens at night so just wondering why the latter don't seem to be targeted as much, given the 313s have moved today with a full coat of art...

I know you often see 700s tagged but practically every 313 in hove is painted on and rarely the gatexes stabled. It's almost as if the artists are enthusiasts and know exactly which units are being scrapped

Ladder23

Established Member
Wasn't expecting those units to move, above 4 other units were mentioning to be going next.

219 was the first unit I southern 313 I travelled on and was hoping I could see that one last time, gutted

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Thanks, you're welcome.
:smile:

Those who've followed this thread, might recall I set myself a challenge to photo the PEPs - but within a 1 mile radius of my home. All of my PEP photos in this thread have faithfully kept to that brief!

From June, I started a similar challenge - for loco-hauled or light engine services. Quite a tall order for what is mostly SWR & Southern! Here's my photo thread (shameless plug!) -
Spoiler alert - it includes a sparkling 69008 en.route from Eastleigh works

Last edited:

JohnElliott

I think you're being rather optimistic about the demand for railtours on old 70s suburban stock with no bogs. There just isn't the charm of loco hauled mk1s with a buffet car that attract non enthusiasts (and pays the bills) and they are utterly unsuitable for charter work. The BLS tour was popular because it was a service farewell. These always do well. The best we can hope for is a carriage or two cosmetically restored and stuffed and mounted somewhere.
I remember in the 1980s riding on a successful railtour where the train was 6 cars of 50-year-old suburban stock (2BIL+4SUB - though for the third of the tour when we were in the BIL, at least there was a toilet!)

The_Train

Established Member
Has 202, reported to be eye wateringly close to the crusher last week, and any others been crushed at Eastleigh since the last update?

The_Train

Established Member
313202 is dead. Another unit could be seen from Campbell Road yesterday, with 207 following it in the scrap line.
Looks like it's going to become a fairly swift process from here on in - thanks for the update, Rich

Graham H

Coach 62530 from 313202 was still only part crushed Friday evening and I believe the middle coach was still whole as 313220 was still sat on the 'death row' line with one other coach visible beyond it nearer the scrap area. Doesnt seem that swift as its taken a whole week just to scrap half a unit as 202 was still whole last Sunday. 207 would seem to be third in line currently following the remains of 202 and after 202 is minced it should be 220.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Coach 62530 from 313202 was still only part crushed Friday evening and I believe the middle coach was still whole as 313220 was still sat on the 'death row' line with one other coach visible beyond it nearer the scrap area. Doesnt seem that swift as its taken a whole week just to scrap half a unit as 202 was still whole last Sunday. 207 would seem to be third in line currently following the remains of 202 and after 202 is minced it should be 220.
Do Raxstar even have a “crusher”, or any dedicated machinery? AIUI there’s no comparison between Raxstar‘s facility and a fully mechanised plant such as at Newport. The companies are probably at completely opposite ends of the market.

tricky18jan

Think Raxstar are more traditional/old school breakers ??

Grabber and blow torch from any/all images I’ve seen.

antharro

Yup. Raxstar use blow torches and material handlers, then ship off the remains to a metal processor like Sims. Sims are a completely different kind of organisation and handle significantly higher volumes of scrap. In Newport they also have one of the largest hammer mills in the world for material size reduction and separation. It can typically shred a car in a few seconds. They do still need to cut stuff down to a size that will fit in the hammer mill though - they can't just feed it an entire train carriage in one go! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.