• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham H

Surprisingly coach 62604 from 313212 is still intact today although pillaged internally and sat on the death row line awaiting its fate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

king_walnut

They used to be fitted in late autumn and removed in spring if they hadn't rotten away by then. Why Southern had them all the time don't know.

Why would they? They don't affect the performance of the horn and snow isn't the only debris that can get into it.

It makes complete sense to leave them on there all the time.

Graham H

Which units remain at Eastleigh at the moment?
Just 313201 and as of Friday evening a single coach 62604 from 313212. Everything else is gone.

Edit to add coach 62604 from unit 212 was still there yesterday.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Just 313201 and as of Friday evening a single coach 62604 from 313212. Everything else is gone.

Edit to add coach 62604 from unit 212 was still there yesterday.
Thanks Graham!
Would you (or anybody else) happen to know when 202, 206 & 208 were disposed of? Not looking for anything specific, just a month would suffice. I think 206 and 208 were both visible in the last photographic updates we had so I presume they are both October disposals but if anyone can confirm these, it would be most appreciated :)

Graham H

Thanks Graham!
Would you (or anybody else) happen to know when 202, 206 & 208 were disposed of? Not looking for anything specific, just a month would suffice. I think 206 and 208 were both visible in the last photographic updates we had so I presume they are both October disposals but if anyone can confirm these, it would be most appreciated :)
Two coaches of 206 were on death row 1st Oct, the other coach already scrapped

Unit 202 being scrapped on 25th June, first coach was already positioned under the grab

All 3 coaches of unit 208 were on the death row siding 21st Sept

Railway magazine has been listing scrap dates of each coach

The_Train

Established Member
Two coaches of 206 were on death row 1st Oct, the other coach already scrapped

Unit 202 being scrapped on 25th June, first coach was already positioned under the grab

All 3 coaches of unit 208 were on the death row siding 21st Sept

Railway magazine has been listing scrap dates of each coach
Thanks Graham, I really appreciate that :)

TheHSRailFan

It has been reported that the last coach on death row has been cut up... meaning 313 201 and 313 121 (provided 201 gets its home) are the last 313s to exist.

It is done...

Graham H

Slight Mark Twain moment but the report of 62604 (unit 212) demise yesterday were slightly premature. It was still intact this morning but has now been reduced to lots of metal pieces although the rear bogie and part of the chassis can still be discerned this evening. I expect all will be gone tomorrow though. The attached picture was published by Arlington earlier today so seems OK to share here

Attachments

• 62604.jpg
    62604.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 180
Slight Mark Twain moment but the report of 62604 (unit 212) demise yesterday were slightly premature. It was still intact this morning but has now been reduced to lots of metal pieces although the rear bogie and part of the chassis can still be discerned this evening. I expect all will be gone tomorrow though. The attached picture was published by Arlington earlier today so seems OK to share here
By all gone do you mean carted away?

03_179

Established Member
Having travelled on many different classes over the past 30+ years the 313 were one of the better trains.

bramling

Veteran Member
I feel your comments could apply to many of the older fleets compared to what we have nowadays.

Absolutely. The PEP-derived fleets were, especially as time went on, very plain vanilla, but they did their job well, and indeed proved to be surprisingly bullet-proof. I remember the Merseyrail traction inspector on one of the Railscene cab ride videos commented that “one of these will always get you home”.

03_179

Established Member
Each to their own everyone.
I have even known some one say recently how they like 700s :rolleyes::o:o:o:o:o:o:o
Needless to say I have severed all ties to them. :D:lol:

bramling

Veteran Member
My commute 1994-2000, involved 30 miles each way on West Anglia Great Northern. I always preferred taking the 317-rostered services, over the 313-booked services. The 313 seats were woeful.

The original seats weren’t great for sure. But I found them okay for short journeys. During engineering work I did once to the full Moorgate to Letchworth via Hertford on one, and by the end of it I was starting to get uncomfortable. The replacement seats I found fine.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Each to their own everyone.
I have even known some one say recently how they like 700s :rolleyes::o:o:o:o:o:o:o
Needless to say I have severed all ties to them. :D:lol:
I will tell my granddaughter to keep schtum on her favourite class !. TBF she has not been around much - my duty to broaden her horizons I feel.
The trouble is nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Ha ha, very good.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Evening folks.
Just to say that all the preservation related stuff is now in the thread below. :)

D365

Veteran Member
Evening folks.
Just to say that all the preservation related stuff is now in the thread below. :)
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.