• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern class 377 doors opening automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today a 12 coach Southern class 377 train formed of 3x 377/4s stopped at Balcombe on the northbound platform (platform 1) and all of the doors got opened automatically (not just released but actually fully opened without any passengers pressing the open button) even though nobody was at most of the doors and very few people boarded and alighted. They just all fully opened without anyone pressing the open button.

It also made a slightly different beeping sound to usual when the doors were opened. Has anyone seen this happen before? Does anyone know more about this?

I always thought that 314 / 507 / 508 and London Underground trains were the only trains that could do this so I am a bit confused.

It very much surprised me as I have used these trains many times and never seen this happen before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
The driver of a 377 can do that. There is a button in the cab.

It's not standard procedure but then again there is nothing saying we can't do that.

The driver of a 377 can do that. There is a button in the cab.

It's not standard procedure but then again there is nothing saying we can't do that.

Thanks for the info. Thats interesting to hear. I never realised that. Do you have any ideas why this driver would have chosen to use this button? Balcombe is a quiet rural station (i thought it would have been more useful at busy stations). Could the driver have just pressed the wrong button by accident? Is this button located next to the normal door open button?

Also does anyone know if any other trains have this same feature that allows the Driver or the Guard to open all of the doors automatically?

Also i thought that this procedure could be a bit unsafe as if someone was leaning against the doors then they could possibly fall out.

TRAX

Established Member
Why not do it more often to reduce dwell times then ?

Fincra5

Established Member
Why not do it more often to reduce dwell times then ?

Wouldn't make much difference... most of the time if people want on or off the train, they're pressing the open button before the doors are even released.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Would the use of it normally be limited to stations where a service is due to terminate at or start from?

physics34

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Thats interesting to hear. I never realised that. Do you have any ideas why this driver would have chosen to use this button? Balcombe is a quiet rural station (i thought it would have been more useful at busy stations). Could the driver have just pressed the wrong button by accident? Is this button located next to the normal door open button?

Also does anyone know if any other trains have this same feature that allows the Driver or the Guard to open all of the doors automatically?

Also i thought that this procedure could be a bit unsafe as if someone was leaning against the doors then they could possibly fall out.

ive done it when ive closed the doors to go and then "released" them again for a late coming commuter.... WHen he doesnt realise ive released the doors again and thinks hes missed the train i use that button.

philthetube

Established Member
London underground S stock usually are ste to all door open but can be operated as passenger open.

westcoaster

Established Member

I do it sometimes especially when busy, if people are all trying to board the train through one door I find people seem to spread along the platform if they see all the doors open.
The button is right above the door open buttons.

notadriver

Established Member
In class 378s the door close buttons have been disabled. Has this been done elsewhere ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithb03uk

First time user here with a couple of quick questions (which may have been asked before)...

1. As I understand things (and I may be wrong) only 8 car trains can run on the Sutton / Wimbledon Loop. Does anybody know whether this restriction will be able apply to the trains running to Sevenoaks?

2. Currently the stopping services have 1st class permanently declassified. Assuming the existing 8 car trains are only replaced with new 8 cars trains there will already be a reduction in the number of available seats so I was wondering what the distribution of 1st class is on the new 8 car trains?

Obviously if there are 1st class seats in the new 8 car trains and the rule is enforced on the new trains there will be even few seats available.

I'm asking for purely selfish reasons as I'm a regular commuter and I do like my creature comforts (i.e. somewhere to park my backside).

Thanks

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I've seen this happen on very hot days when AC has failed in one or more coaches - it was quite lovely waiting at Hastings for five minutes with a sea breeze rolling in through the open doors.

Thanks for all of your replies. I imagine that this feature could definitely be useful during very busy times especially to encourage people to walk down the platform and use other available doors. But i still think that it does seem a bit unsafe especially as many people often lean against the doors and probably wont be expecting them to suddenly open automatically.

Can i also ask are the similar 357 / 375 / 376 / 378 / 379 / 387 Electrostar trains able to do this as well or is this feature just available on the class 377 trains?

SPADTrap

Established Member
If you're leaning against a door in a platform you equally wouldn't see a passenger opening it trying to board either, so the point is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.