• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 455 Withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class455

Established Member
That's a shame, I had 801 and 804 together in their final few days. Both were excellent units with 804 having a proper Southern EE whine, while 801 had some proper good compressors on it. Two much missed sounds from the Southern Region!
5801 was my favourite 455 mainly due to it being the first one built, but it also had great traction sounds, for some reason it’s motor was a lot louder than others. Hopefully it’s one of the last to go for scrap.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern Dvr

5801 was my favourite 455 mainly due to it being the first one built, but it also had great traction sounds, for some reason it’s motor was a lot louder than others. Hopefully it’s one of the last to go for scrap.
5801 was my ‘best failure’ on a 455 with a stuck down DSD Pedal at Horsham. Had a lovely long wait for a rescue unit, enjoyed a bacon butty and a coffee and had to have the rest of my duty covered.

Southern Dvr

Did 5842 & 5813 take their final journey today? It's been mighty quiet for news.
Witnessed the funeral train at Seven Tunnel Jnc. Was a sad sight and even more so hearing the 3 step westcode brakes applying and releasing as the train slowed for a signal check.

warwickshire

On Moderation
It was 66763 'Severn Valley Railway'
Yes confirmed 66763 with 455842 and 455813 with the Arlington vans 12 early at Acton main line . APOLOGIES for late posting. Got totally side tracked by the 37 and 387 move which in end returned through the station for a second time going back to Reading. With the 47501 and charter going through as well.
Totally forgot to post it.
However 66763 stands a chance to be on the Thursday 30th move.
Makes a change from constantly in the last few weeks being on the Small Heath stone trains .

warwickshire

On Moderation
Confirmed and such a lovely stop at Bristol Parkway However a hour late due to the Colnbrook tanks failed at Latchmere Junction earlier.
Not often get signage and 455 along side at Bristol Parkway.
Best of times the move usually goes through.
However 66784 The Seven Valley railway and 64664 64707 the Arlington vans with 455843 455826 for scrap.
Ironically at the same time it was lashing it down with rain and quite ironically Thunderstorm and Thundering as well. Like a Thunderstorm meaning the end by a lightning strike close by into the fields. Obviously someone or the gods up there. Certainly ain't happy either.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Confirmed and such a lovely stop at Bristol Parkway However a hour late due to the Colnbrook tanks failed at Latchmere Junction earlier.
Not often get signage and 455 along side at Bristol Parkway.
Best of times the move usually goes through.
However 66784 The Seven Valley railway and 64664 64707 the Arlington vans with 455843 455826 for scrap.
Ironically at the same time it was lashing it down with rain and quite ironically Thunderstorm and Thundering as well. Like a Thunderstorm meaning the end by a lightning strike close by into the fields. Obviously someone or the gods up there. Certainly ain't happy either.
Correction the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. 66784.

Dhansak

5817 and 5820 have gone from the carriage sidings adjacent to platform 4 at Horsham. They were there this morning, so presumably have now made their last journey under their own power.

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
Are there any restrictions in the Severn Tunnel that prevent the scrap workings going through there, or is there a pathing issue preventing this, or another reason? Going via Gloucester does I suppose give the 455s a more scenic ending.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Are there any restrictions in the Severn Tunnel that prevent the scrap workings going through there, or is there a pathing issue preventing this, or another reason? Going via Gloucester does I suppose give the 455s a more scenic ending.
The Severn Tunnel is closed for engineering work next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.