• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 455 Withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorblades

I’m also fairly certain that the Class 73 can’t be used to Newport as I don’t believe it can run for too long without third rail but I’m not sure, the way 73’s are powered is something that has confused me.

Be confused no longer! A 73 is an 'ED' - or electro-diesel - and as such it roves the network under diesel power when it's away from the juice-rail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern Dvr

Be confused no longer! A 73 is an 'ED' - or electro-diesel - and as such it roves the network under diesel power when it's away from the juice-rail.
But an original 73/0, 73/1, 73/2 has a very small Diesel engine and will struggle to pull the skin off a rice pudding unaided on most gradients.

sharpinf

thedbdiboy

A 0Z61 Light Loco move from Stewart's Lane to Tonbridge has now appeared... booked out now (1450)
Is that the 73 going back on it's own?

J burge

Interesting, wonder if it'll be another cancellation today or if they will actually manage to make it to Newport!

Thanks for the info
Unless it's already hooked up and ready to leave I don't know it's a weird one as it's showing no loco return from sims tonight

DustyBin

Established Member
Just what I was thinking too. Even LE, I can't imagine it could get very far on its own away from the juice

I think you’re overestimating just how small the engine is. It’s the same engine as used in a “Thumper” DEMU, a three car formation of which is considerably heavier than a Class 73.

Sorry OT but I thought it was worth clarifying.

Class360/1

thedbdiboy

I think you’re overestimating just how small the engine is. It’s the same engine as used in a “Thumper” DEMU, a three car formation of which is considerably heavier than a Class 73.

Sorry OT but I thought it was worth clarifying.
A Thumper has 600hp available for use per 3 car unit with no requirement to haul a trailing load. The EDs (73s) are useful in diesel mode but in classic form it would struggle up the GWML with 10 on as per a 455 scrap run.

_toommm_

Established Member
Scrap working:

Will this working pass through West Ealing?… The station isn’t showing on the RTT working.

It should do. Because the path has been put in as a VSTP, only the mandatory timing points will show on it. Ealing Broadway only shows on services that are booked to call at it, or where RTT fills in the time as estimate for passing services.

Class360/1

It should do. Because the path has been put in as a VSTP, only the mandatory timing points will show on it. Ealing Broadway only shows on services that are booked to call at it, or where RTT fills in the time as estimate for passing services.
Thanks for your reply:)

DustyBin

Established Member
A Thumper has 600hp available for use per 3 car unit with no requirement to haul a trailing load. The EDs (73s) are useful in diesel mode but in classic form it would struggle up the GWML with 10 on as per a 455 scrap run.

Correct, however I was responding to the poster who thought that a 73 running light engine wouldn't get far on diesel.

J burge

As not showing any movement yet would it still run today but late

Tynwald

It would get there, slowly. The 73 diesel was for shunting yards, that did not have 3rd rail. Originaly they had a primitive ohl, which 71 used to run on. 74 was different story. Much more powerfull paxman engine.

brad465

Established Member
This swansong run appears to have hit its stride now; 69001 has halved its starting delay, and was 'only' +31 passing Maidenhead.
Presumably helped by an abundance of pathing allowances up to that point.

Also, does it really take 50 minutes to enter SIMS, or is the time between Alexandra Dock jn and the scrapyard just very generous?

Also, does it really take 50 minutes to enter SIMS, or is the time between Alexandra Dock jn and the scrapyard just very generous?
They have to run the Loco round and barriers to propel the first unit in, split the two, and then propel the 2nd unit into the adjacent road. This occurs in the run round loop just outside of SIMS.

warwickshire

On Moderation
5Q55 through goring and Streetly approximately 29 late with 69001 455809 455814. and the Van's.
1038 Stewarts Lane to Newport Docks Simms. Very ironic though it Started with the first move of 47727 455838 455839. On a day of thunderstorms and rain on that station and ended a day of thunderstorms with rain but with 69001 and 455809 455814.
On a sad day. Very sad day.
Ending in storming skies.
However R.I.P the Southern 455.
You have served London well.
Southern is no longer the same.
Despite being at the evil hands of the DFT. RIP SOUTHERN 455.
RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.