• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern DaySave destination suggestions/ trip report

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but as I'll probably put a trip report here I thought it would do.

I've got myself a Southern DaySave ticket for Saturday 1st September. I'll be starting at Tonbridge on the 0919 train and would like to know where on the Southern network would be worth a visit. I don't really want to go west of Chichester or up the WLL but otherwise I'm open to suggestions of
A) Interesting or nice lines
B) Any good places to see the trains
C) Nice places to spend an hour or so.

Eventually I'll put a trip report here.

Thanks

Joe

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Slough

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but as I'll probably put a trip report here I thought it would do.

I've got myself a Southern DaySave ticket for Saturday 1st September. I'll be starting at Tonbridge on the 0919 train and would like to know where on the Southern network would be worth a visit. I don't really want to go west of Chichester or up the WLL but otherwise I'm open to suggestions of

Eventually I'll put a trip report here.

Thanks

Joe

Lewes to seaford , Eastbourne to codden beach , Brighton ,
Hastings ,

All nice places to visit if the weather is nice all seaside towns though .

jnjkerbin

Thanks for those Slough:)
Lewes to seaford
Already on my list to possibly do and now I probably will do it

Eastbourne to codden beach

I've already done that line, and very good it was too!

I'll probably go there as well

I've already taken the Tonbridge to Hastings line down there several times and I can't really be bothered to go any further east than Eastbourne if I'm honest. A nice place to go though.

johnnycache

Best beach - Littlehampton

Interesting towns - Arundel, Rye

Best shops - Shepherd's Bush, Brighton

jnjkerbin

@jonnycache
Thanks for those.
I'll try to include some of them then put up my plan of attack tomorrow.

Joe :)

gazthomas

Established Member
Best beach - Littlehampton

Interesting towns - Arundel, Rye

Best shops - Shepherd's Bush, Brighton

Ashford to Hastings "Marshlink" line is great. A real blast fom the past. Rye is nice, a bus up to Tenterden and a run on the KESR is good too as Tenterden is nice as is Bodiam castle

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Got to put in another word for the Marshlink line, it's really charming.

The Arun Valley line from Horsham to Barnham is well worth a trip too - great scenery. I've never actually stopped to visit Arundel - as johnnycache recommends, but it looks a lovely place to spend a few hours.

jnjkerbin

Thanks for more great advice!

Ashford to Hastings "Marshlink" line is great. A real blast fom the past. Rye is nice, a bus up to Tenterden and a run on the KESR is good too as Tenterden is nice as is Bodiam castle

I did Hastings to Rye a while ago and can thoroughly recommend it. Tenterden brings back memories from many years ago although probably only 2003.

The Arun Valley line from Horsham to Barnham is well worth a trip too - great scenery. I've never actually stopped to visit Arundel - as johnnycache recommends, but it looks a lovely place to spend a few hours.

Hmm interesting... I might give it a go.

What about Chichester? Someone recommended that to me a while ago.

Thanks

Joe:)

adtrainz

What about Chichester? Someone recommended that to me a while ago.

Well, there's the cathedral, various walks of different distances, the walls, and the new city museum which opened in June. Though the museum was quite costly, (as a local) it was quite nice!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Chichester is the most boring city I've ever been to.

TheJRB

Established Member
I'll also recommend the Marshlink although because it's my local line, I suppose that's cheating. :lol:

The Arun Valley once again is really pleasant and well worth the trip. Then there's the three main branches of the south end of the Southern network too: Bognor Regis, Littlehampton and Seaford. I've done the first two and they're similar, very short and to be honest slightly dull.

Generally, I'd say that the East Coastway is more picturesque in general than the east end of the West Coastway (Brighton to Durrington-on-Sea). The West Coastway becomes much better, in my opinion, if you head to Portsmouth and get a fast train (otherwise it does become a bit of a drag).

Barnham is a surprisingly busy station and it's situated between both the Littlehampton and Bognor branches as well as on the West Coastway and just beyond the end of the Arun Valley via Chichester.

Gatwick Airport is an interesting place too although I suspect Horley may be better in terms of photography and being less busy in terms of people.

I took a trip to Bexhill back in November and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's an interesting town with plenty of places to find food as well as the De La Warr Pavilion if you like art. It's also somewhere where the station is pretty close to the main part of the town.

jnjkerbin

Milton Keynes

I think that might be a bit far north for me...

Well, there's the cathedral, various walks of different distances, the walls, and the new city museum which opened in June. Though the museum was quite costly, (as a local) it was quite nice!
Chichester is the most boring city I've ever been to.
Would anyone like to cast the deciding vote? :lol:

I'll also recommend the Marshlink although because it's my local line, I suppose that's cheating. :lol:

The Arun Valley once again is really pleasant and well worth the trip. Then there's the three main branches of the south end of the Southern network too: Bognor Regis, Littlehampton and Seaford. I've done the first two and they're similar, very short and to be honest slightly dull.

Generally, I'd say that the East Coastway is more picturesque in general than the east end of the West Coastway (Brighton to Durrington-on-Sea). The West Coastway becomes much better, in my opinion, if you head to Portsmouth and get a fast train (otherwise it does become a bit of a drag).

Barnham is a surprisingly busy station and it's situated between both the Littlehampton and Bognor branches as well as on the West Coastway and just beyond the end of the Arun Valley via Chichester.

Gatwick Airport is an interesting place too although I suspect Horley may be better in terms of photography and being less busy in terms of people.

I took a trip to Bexhill back in November and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's an interesting town with plenty of places to find food as well as the De La Warr Pavilion if you like art. It's also somewhere where the station is pretty close to the main part of the town.

Arun valley will almost definitely be on my books-thanks for the other suggestions

Thanks

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK, my plan then:

Red writing means not included in DaySave ticket
The train classes are what I reckon they might be. Are these correct? Thanks

Sevenoaks dep 0849 Cl.375

Tonbridge arr 0858

Tonbridge dep 0919 Cl.377

Redhill arr 0950
Redhill dep 1000 Cl.377

Chichester (against some peoples' warnings!) arr 1104
Chichester dep 1225 Cl.377/313?

Brighton arr 1318
Brighton dep 1340 Cl.377

Seaford arr 1414
Seaford dep 1425 Cl.377

Brighton arr 1500
Brighton dep 1619 Cl.377 or possibly Cl.442

Victoria arr 1710
Victoria dep 1736 Cl.377

E. Croydon arr 1752
E. Croydon dep 1800 Cl.377

Tonbridge arr 1848
Tonbridge dep 1850 Cl.375

Sevenoaks arr 1859

Thanks

Southern

Mole Valley is definitely worth a look, if only for the amazing views you get from Boxhill. I've attached a picture of something currently displayed up there, catch it while you can! ;) It can be combined with the Arun, with decent 15 - 20 minute connections available at Horsham.

Brighton dep 1619 Cl.377 or possibly Cl.442

Victoria arr 1710
Victoria dep 1736 Cl.377

E. Croydon arr 1752

1710 arrival will work the 1736, and unless things changed in May, will be a 377. 1649 from Brighton should be a 442, though.

Attachments

• IMG0084A.jpg
    IMG0084A.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 22

jnjkerbin

Thanks for that Southern a bit of re timing may be in order, if only to have the possibility of a 442 and I might try to squeeze in the Mole Valley

Thanks

Joe

jnjkerbin

Not to be trusted, but most Southampton-Brighton runs (the one above) have been 377s lately.

Thanks for that adtranz.

My new tt then:

Sevenoaks depart 0805

Tonbridge arrive 0815
Ton dep 0819

Redhill arr 0850
Rdh dep 0900

Chichester arr 1004
Cch dep 1111

Horsham arr 1146
Hrh dep 1204

(Via mole valley)

Victoria arr 1318
Victoria dep 1336

Brighton arr 1427
Brighton dep 1510

Seaford arr 1546
Seaford dep 1558

Brighton arr 1630
Brighton dep 1719

E Croydon arr 1752
E Croydon dep 1800

Tonbridge arr 1848
Tonbridge dep 1850

Sevenoaks arr 1859

Waddon

Don't forget that Saturday is pride day in Brighton, in addition to the usual summer Saturday tourist crowds so the trains in and out are likely to be extremely crowded, especially around evening time...

Also if I was to recommend a Southern route, I'm kinda partial to the Uckfield line, there's not much at Uckfield to see but the ride is quite pleasant, maybe hop off at Eridge for the steam railway there (which often runs diesels too if that's your cup of tea)

jnjkerbin

Don't forget that Saturday is pride day in Brighton, in addition to the usual summer Saturday tourist crowds so the trains in and out are likely to be extremely crowded, especially around evening time...

Thanks for the warning a (3rd) replan maybe in order...

Also if I was to recommend a Southern route, I'm kinda partial to the Uckfield line, there's not much at Uckfield to see but the ride is quite pleasant, maybe hop off at Eridge for the steam railway there (which often runs diesels too if that's your cup of tea)

I would agree that the Spa VR is worth it. I was there on their diesel gala a few weeks ago.

New (and hopefully final) plan:

Had to leave out the Seaford Branch but I'll do that another day...

Tonbridge 08:19:00
East Croydon 09:06:00
09:23:00
Uckfield 10:21:00
10:34:00
East Croydon 11:32:00
11:48:00
Chichester 13:04:00
14:11:00
Horsham 14:46:00
15:04:00
Victoria 16:18:00
16:41:00
London Bridge 17:06:00
17:15:00
Redhill 17:49:00
18:17:00
Tonbridge 18:48:00
Back home, had a great time :)

Trip report tomorrow. Too tired tonight. Zzz Zzz Zzz (Journey logged on mileage log below though....)

Alright, here’s the trip report.
My original idea was to wake up about half past 6-ish to get leave about 7:20 for the 07:49 to Tonbridge, picking up the 08:19. This plan went to pot when the night before I was rather tired so I took the decision to do everything an hour later than I was going to. Being Saturday (ie. no peak time alterations) this would be possible. I got to Sevenoaks station in time for the 0849 formed of 375908 and 375627 for the rather dull journey to Tonbridge, running on time with an average speed of 56mph (good for Southeastern!). I made my way over the footbridge where 377428 was waiting about as far up the platform as you can get without being in Leigh! Glad I hadn’t decided to get the next train which would have left a very dodgy connection at Tonbridge, especially seeing as where the Redhill train was, I settled down to enjoy the journey. I’d only been as far as Penshurst on this line before so was a new experience. After the guard informed passengers for London Bridge that it would be much quicker to get a train from P2, we left. We ran on time all the way but only with an average speed of about 37mph. On arrival at East Croydon the trains to Brighton were very crowded indeed, what with the weather being alright and the Pride event going on so I was glad I wouldn’t be packed on like sardines going there. 377442 and a friend soon turned up to work the 1018 to Portsmouth Harbour and Bognor Regis. It was crowded but seats were still available. Up until around Pulborough I was beginning to doubt whether the Arun Valley was worth it but with the two castles, the South Downs and Amberley Chalk pits my mind soon changed. The run along the West Coastway to Chichester was comparatively dull. Chichester wasn’t too bad. To start off with I followed a sign proclaiming “Wall Walk” It turned out to be a Ring Road walk but I found a place called Bishops Palace Gardens which were very nice (a bit like Groombridge Place but free) after having a drink and leaving half an hour or so to make my way back to the station, I was surprised to see I’d reached the city walls with no sign of the railway line. I realised I was lost but with the help of a navigation app on my phone, found the station just as 377438 was pulling in forming the 1311 to Victoria. This took me as far as Horsham along the dull, flat, boring, West Coastway (sorry to anyone who lives there!) then the lovely Arun Valley. I arrived at Horsham to find the train up the Mole valley was not in. A quick check of NRE found that it was running about 14 minutes or so late because of “Waiting for a member of traincrew” Although 377459 arrived at about 1402 it had a good turn around (all credit to the driver) and left only 1 minute late. The line up through Dorking and Boxhill was lovely but after Leatherhead it just seemed to drag on... and on... and on. Needless to say I was relieved when the train reached its last stop before Clapham, Sutton and then ran fast as far as Streatham Jn when we ran slowly to Clapham Jn behind a stopper. I was rather amused by the graffiti on a lineside hut saying “You Clean, we paint!” Nonetheless we arrived at Victoria only 2 minutes late at 1520. My next move was to be the 1541 to London Bridge, so after a quick refreshment, I went to find the platform. 377322 was running late in arriving but we only left 4 minutes down. This was quite surprising in that it was quite an enjoyable journey despite 2 guys getting on at Queens Road one of whom was eating a smelly curry. We arrived only 2 minutes late and I had a 35 minute wait for the train to Tonbridge. The journey down felt rather long compared to taking the Sevenoaks line on board 377428 again. On arriving at Tonbridge I was hoping we’d meet a Tunbridge Wells service formed of a Networker for a change but no! It was 375828. Yet another Electrostar back to Sevenoaks

Total miles: 223m 14ch
Best Line: Arun Valley
Dullest line: Leatherhead-Streatham
Best train: Err... Class 377s :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.