• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Derailment at Angerming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But I notice it says there is mainly only cancellations westbound, what about the trains that are unable to get to the west to get back and head eastbound?

Perhaps the line is signalled bi-directionally?

AndyNo

I am new to this forum so don't know all the lingo!! I actually live by Angmering Station so have seen this today. Basically there were engineering works between Angmering and Barnham, so trains from Brighton/London were terminating at Angmering. The train then left towards Ford, so it could go past the points and then go back to Angmering on the opposite track. There seemed to be some kind of problem when the final coach of the train went over the points after leaving Angmering. It has now been moved in the last hour but all trains are cancelled for the rest of the day and the replacement bus has been extended to Worthing as it has been since the derailment.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info Andy, sounds like the points switched before the final coach was over...

boing_uk

Thanks for the info Andy, sounds like the points switched before the final coach was over...

Eh? When was the last time THAT happened on the national network? Bit of an assumption, no?

Is it not more likely that it was a physical problem with the points, such as poor rail profile? At this point we do not know until those in the know can give us some info, but my money is on some kind of wheel/rail interface issue, rather than incorrect movement of the points.

paul1609

Established Member
Eh? When was the last time THAT happened on the national network? Bit of an assumption, no?

Is it not more likely that it was a physical problem with the points, such as poor rail profile? At this point we do not know until those in the know can give us some info, but my money is on some kind of wheel/rail interface issue, rather than incorrect movement of the points.

Grayrigg pendilino accident, Potters Bar 2 high profile accident in the last couple of years.

boing_uk

Grayrigg pendilino accident, Potters Bar 2 high profile accident in the last couple of years.

Both of them high speed where the switch rail moved due to poor maintenance.

This was apparently a low speed movement, seemingly affecting the last vehicle of the train. I dont think the same dynamics of the other two incidents are in play here, which is why I personally suspect one of the flanges climbing over the rail for whatever reason.

See Exhibition Centre.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I believe Lambrigg was the correct location of the 390 derailment. Faulty points is what I meant :D

DavyCrocket

Not NR, but something similar happened on LU a few weeks ago at Plaistow. As the train moved off the points moved , just in front of the train.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But that's the official location of it

But not very many people know it as the Lambrigg derailment but as the Grayrigg derailment. To me it makes sense to call it by the most commonly understood name also the offical RAIB report calls it Derailment at Grayrigg, even if that isn't strictly correct ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just a thought, but if this is a crossover which is only ever used during engineering works, is there not a high chance it might be a ground frame operated one rather than a fully remotely interlocked and operated one?

WhereInSussex

There is a crossover operated by a groundframe on the Arundel Jn side of the level crossing. The line was closed on the down side of this for engineering works across the junction, meaning a replacement bus was operating to Barnham and Littlehampton and trains would come into Angmering, empty their passengers, proceed over the crossover, the GF operator would then move the points over and the driver would change ends and cross back over, on the authority of a yellow flag, once the barriers were back down and the crossing clear and the signalman's authority had been given, into the up platform.

There is no control of the points from the signal box, just a "release" of the groundframe given from the SB. There is an indication at the GF (which is motorised) showing N or R detection. There are no shunt signals, so they work on the authority of flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.