• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern have opened a new Trainee Train Driver Vacancy for all LONDON DEPOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones

Received an Email telling me I'm in the talent pool.

So.....that's the end of that then.

:(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IKB

Received an Email telling me I'm in the talent pool.

So.....that's the end of that then.

:(

Likewise. "Your application is still under consideration but will not be screened until future roles are required."

Flyboy32

Same here........what does this actually mean?
If I or you was a "no" and not suitable would they not have said now?

Is there still possibilities?

IKB

Same here........what does this actually mean?
If I or you was a "no" and not suitable would they not have said now?

Is there still possibilities?

In my line of work to 'screen' a document means to read/review it....so I interpret it to mean that they have the application but, given that they've filled the vacancies, it will be reviewed if/when there are future roles. Whether or not that is a correct interpretation I do not know. In any case I do not intend to waste any further thought on the application and will look for other jobs.

railton

I got one as well... It's a shame they weren't screened though. They could just keep the applications that have passed the screening process for future roles then? This way nobody knows if their application was any good...
Frustrating....<(

cnm101

Has anyone had a definte Yes/No yet? From what I hear being in the 'Talent Pool' might be getting called up later in the year for secondary placements in the recruitment process as they are taking on quite a few trainee drivers, but it's hard to decipher if the 'Talent Pool' is a polite way of saying thanks but no thanks.

cnm101

Is anyone still waiting for a reply from Southern? It appears that people have been informed if they have been successful or not. I still have not received a reply either way and am wondering wether my application has been overlooked. I have sent an email to inquire but received no reply.

Kukua

Is anyone still waiting for a reply from Southern? It appears that people have been informed if they have been successful or not. I still have not received a reply either way and am wondering wether my application has been overlooked. I have sent an email to inquire but received no reply.

Sorry to hear about that...i think they are having some trouble booking assessment days, i had one scheduled on the 31st of march but they cancelled and put me in for the 14th of April now, so i would suggest calling them and asking...goodluck
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone have any idea on what happens on the southern assessment day? Im a lil confused do we do everything including the DM all in one day?
In the email it just says that if you are considered you will do a medical nothing about the DM or MMI?

Vicpaul

You will have your assessments only on the day.

If successful you will be invited back for a managers interview and if successful there you will do the MMI and then your medical

redbutton

You will have your assessments only on the day.

If successful you will be invited back for a managers interview and if successful there you will do the MMI and then your medical

I had my medical before the MMI, but yes the first assessment day consists of the paper and computer assessments only- no interviews at all. Paper in the morning, then lunch, then computers in the afternoon.

If you fail any of the tests, you're sent home. So, if you're still there at the end, you fill in a pre-interview form which will ask you to describe (in one or two sentences) personal experiences that will be addressed in the interview.

E.g. "Describe a time when you handled an emergency situation."

Should you be invited back for a MMI at a later date, the interviewer will have this form and use your responses as a starting point for each interview area.

That way you don't have to think up examples under pressure at the interview- you'll have already done it ahead of time.

Kukua

I had my medical before the MMI, but yes the first assessment day consists of the paper and computer assessments only- no interviews at all. Paper in the morning, then lunch, then computers in the afternoon.

If you fail any of the tests, you're sent home. So, if you're still there at the end, you fill in a pre-interview form which will ask you to describe (in one or two sentences) personal experiences that will be addressed in the interview.

E.g. "Describe a time when you handled an emergency situation."

Should you be invited back for a MMI at a later date, the interviewer will have this form and use your responses as a starting point for each interview area.

That way you don't have to think up examples under pressure at the interview- you'll have already done it ahead of time.

Ahh i see but i have been honoured on half of the assessments so what happens then? if you know...thanks

rob12

For the guys who have been through this process with southern can you answer this question for me please,

Is the driver training done at selhurst (I think it is) and what are the training hours I am presuming they are 8am - 5pm.........Thanks very much people

A-driver

Established Member
For the guys who have been through this process with southern can you answer this question for me please,

Is the driver training done at selhurst (I think it is) and what are the training hours I am presuming they are 8am - 5pm.........Thanks very much people

Unless it's drastically changed since I was a trainee it is normally at Selhurst or east Croydon depending in room availability. Some 'all coastal' courses are held at the training center at Worthing.

Hours are normally 9-4 (5x7hour days=35hr week).

BromleyBoi

I've just come out of a course at Selhurst.
They conduct training at Selhurst, Knollys House at East Croydon or Hove depending on room & trainer availability and that includes Metro(Metro = London) drivers at Hove too as there was a course of Metro drivers down there that finished around the same time as me.
Hours generally are around 9am - 3.30pm some days are longer, some days shorter.

Last edited:

Kukua

I just had my interview and i think it weren't horribly wrong. So annoyed with myself...

Holt0121

Anyone out there been given a provisional start date of 26th May and heard nothing since? I'm unable to get through on the phone and email seems fruitless..... Not very helpful when i need to give a months notice to my current employers.....

cnm101

Well at least you've had some sort of reply, Im still waiting for a yes/no response, I'm guessing due to the time frame and with people doing tests'/interviews and provisional dates its a no now. I thought having passed the first assessments already and having a strong application/CV (not being cocky, had it checked by various HR people and a qualified driver) I would have heard by now. I have spoken with and emailed Southern and get the the generic applications take time response, anyone else in the same boat?

Kukua

What sort of stuff did they ask you? When do you think you'll hear back?

Stuff like what have u done that you are very proud of? Typical interview questions. I am not sure when i will hear back, they said within 2 weeks.

I am a little worried, just went blank lool

Wow 26th May, congratulations

Vicpaul

Don't be disheartened although blank you may have met the criteria wit your answers.

Also don't go on the 14 days I've got a friend who's been waiting a considerable time longer

tcsilva

Well at least you've had some sort of reply, Im still waiting for a yes/no response, I'm guessing due to the time frame and with people doing tests'/interviews and provisional dates its a no now. I thought having passed the first assessments already and having a strong application/CV (not being cocky, had it checked by various HR people and a qualified driver) I would have heard by now. I have spoken with and emailed Southern and get the the generic applications take time response, anyone else in the same boat?

What assessments have you done? Did you go to DM interview?

Anyone out there been given a provisional start date of 26th May and heard nothing since? I'm unable to get through on the phone and email seems fruitless..... Not very helpful when i need to give a months notice to my current employers.....

Hi, mate... when have you been given this date?

I passed my assessments and Line manager interview and, I'm now booked for a Medical... I was hoping, if successful in the medical MMI to start in May as well... Fingers crossed.. :P

Last edited:

Kukua

What assessments have you done? Did you go to DM interview?

Hi, mate... when have you been given this date?

I passed my assessments and Line manager interview and, I'm now booked for a Medical... I was hoping, if successful in the medical MMI to start in May as well... Fingers crossed.. :P

Congratz...when did you have your interview? And how long did it take for them to reply to you?

cnm101

I passed the 1st set of assessments, group borden etc with another TOC but was unable to continue to the 2nd stage of assessments and interviews due to work contracts at that time

tcsilva

Ahh, got it... so you are waiting to hear from your application with them?

@KUKUA: I went on my interview on the 1st of April, and it was nearly 3 weeks to receive the invitation to the medical... Just when I was starting to worry... But what a relief it was...

Kukua

Is them asking what depo would you prefer a good sign? Or is that a generic question?

Status
Not open for further replies.