• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern OBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurreySun

hi all

Just recently applied for the OBS role out of Victoria.

I have scrolled through the boards on OBS threads, all be it some of them are quite old. Would someone be able to clear up a few questions I still have?

Is the OBS role a recognised role with the unions now, as I think I briefly read they weren’t originally?

Is there still ill feeling towards the OBS in the staff rooms as previously mentioned?

What is the basic training like? And how long? I haven’t seen many posts on this.

Anything I should expect to find difficult or hard if successful?

Thanks
SS

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

king_walnut

Southern OBS here.

The OBS role still remains not recognised by the RMT. However, you can still be a member and have representation in any disciplinary matters that might arise.

There is no personal bad feeling towards anyone of the OBS grade from any of the drivers or the conductors. It isn't an OBS's fault that the role exists, and a large majority of OBS's used to be conductors or Revenue Officers (I was the latter). New people are definitely not shunned.

If you are successful in the job you will attend a 3 day Southern induction. On this you will learn about the company and what it expects from you - you'll do bits about managing difficult situations, dealing with customers who have a disability, some basic health and safety, the drugs and alcohol policy etc... You'll also get your uniform during this time.

After that you will attend a day where you learn all about the tickets, and a day where you learn to use the ticket machine. Then there will be two days of learning the on train environment, which covers how to make announcements, how to reset the passenger alarm, how to reset the smoke alarm, reset the toilets etc .. you'll be shown the contents of the emergency cupboard, how to put the ramp down, and the contents of the driver's cab (emergency hammers, fire extinguishers, first aid kit). You'll also be taught how to make an emergency call from the driver's radio. There's probably a few other bits but they've slipped my mind just now.

The day after that, you'll meet your manager and be given a depot induction where you're shown where everything is, assigned a pigeon hole and issued with your work phone and your kit bag. You'll also be taught now to read diagrams (a sheet which outlines your work for the day). After that you'll go out with an OBS and do some shadowing, which moves on to an OBS mentor shadowing you as you start to do the role.

For me what's difficult is the pattern of earlies/lates. If you're not used to that then your first month will absolutely suck. People tell you that you get used to it, and whilst that's somewhat true, you never really do.

On the whole the job is pretty easy and laid back, but when things go tits up (which they often do) you have to be switched on and competent in what you're doing. Just last week I had a 12 carriage train that was splitting at Haywards Heath, with the front 4 going to Littlehampton and the rear 8 going to Eastbourne. The PIS was broken (the automated announcements) so no one knew where they were on the train, so I had to spend half an hour getting everyone in the right place, and then when we got to Haywards Heath they decided front 8 was for Littlehampton and rear 4 were for Eastbourne. I then had to then go back and tell people I was wrong, and then deal with the backlash of angry commuter passengers who are sick of being messed around. It was stressful as ****.

That's all I can think of just now, please ask more questions if you need to!

It isn’t recognised with the RMT just yet however the dispute is all but finished there hasn’t been any talks nor strike action for months now. It’s not in their best interests to keep not representing the role as it’ll just lead to them losing members and the union will all but die off. I’d imagine once the other disputes are finished they will represent the new OBS roles just like they do Ticket Examiners on Scotrail.

I don’t know anyone who abuses OBS or any other role on the railway and I can assure you that anyone who does not will not be looked at favourably by other staff . There was a minority of OBS (ironically) were previously Conductors who stirred the trough so to speak but they have either retired, taken redundancy or moved on. The role is all about customer service, so as long as your visible to the customers and providing a high level of customer service you won’t have a problem. It’s not a bad starting point and you can obviously progress to a driver or conductor role at a later stage if that is something that interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.