• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern trainee driver wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

198ksw

Can anyone advise how the pay scale changes on Southern from rules to passed out and if there is any London weighting on top please?

Not for me, asking for someone else.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quin79

Can anyone advise how the pay scale changes on Southern from rules to passed out and if there is any London weighting on top please?

Thanks
The Driver salary are as follows:

Trainee Driver (Pre-Rules) - £31,382
Trainee Driver (Post Rules) - £42,326
1st Year Driver - £59,084
Driver - £63,294

London Allowance is £2056, and you do get this from your start date if based at a London Depot.

WizCastro197

Established Member

Driver - £63,294

London Allowance is £2056, and you do get this from your start date if based at a London Depot.
I could've sworn it was a lot higher than 63,000? I thought Southern had Striked/Struck in the past for Pay well over the 70,000 mark?

Quin79

I could've sworn it was a lot higher than 63,000? I thought Southern had Striked/Struck in the past for Pay well over the 70,000 mark?
Bear in mind the figures quoted will not include the rostered Sunday working where you can earn 20% on top if you choose to work as they are "outside", and the £2056 London Allowance is to add on to those figures

WizCastro197

Established Member
Bare in mind the figures quoted will not include the rostered Sunday working where you can earn 20% on top if you choose to work as they are "outside"
Ah Okay Thanks because I saw an article a few years ago that said at Southern Driver can now earn up to £75,000/y

Quin79

Ah Okay Thanks because I saw an article a few years ago that said at Southern Driver can now earn up to £75,000/y
If you factor in things like bank holidays and a little bit of overtime that figure is easily achievable

198ksw

Driver - £63,294

Thanks for this.
Selhurst is classed as a London depot isn’t it?

Luckyflames

Thanks
Someone been offered a course ? In the near future ?

198ksw

Driver - £63,294

Many thanks for this, Quin79.

Do you have any idea what sort of time scale between each stage please?
In other words, how many weeks/months the trainee would be on pre-rules money and then on Post rules money?

Thank you in advance

whoosh

Established Member

Yes, newspaper headlines are completely honest aren't they?

Achievable pay with stacks of overtime as the headline, making out it's the basic salary. Aren't newspapers great?

I saw a headline saying tube drivers earnt more than long haul airline pilots but it turned out the figure included if they used their free pass for the most expensive tube journey every day; if their partner used their free pass for the most expensive tube journey every day, what London Underground puts into their pension, and their normal pay, and compared that figure with a long haul pilot's basic (and not their free/discounted travel, or their dependents free/discounted travel, or their 'sector pay' per flight, or their meal and hotel expenses, or their company's pension contributions.)

Comparing like with like isn't newspaper's forté.

Same with Nurses and Police with Train Drivers - basic pay is compared, but the unsocial hours pay for Police and Nurses, that train drivers don't get, isn't mentioned.
Neither is it made clear that Nurses and Police can climb pay grades with length of service and experience, but train drivers don't.

I'd stop reading them if I were you. They're full of bull.

Established Member

Achievable pay with stacks of overtime as the headline, making out it's the basic salary. Aren't newspapers great?

I saw a headline saying tube drivers earnt more than long haul airline pilots but it turned out the figure included if they used their free pass for the most expensive tube journey every day; if their partner used their free pass for the most expensive tube journey every day, what London Underground puts into their pension, and their normal pay, and compared that figure with a long haul pilot's basic (and not their free/discounted travel, or their dependents free/discounted travel, or their 'sector pay' per flight, or their meal and hotel expenses, or their company's pension contributions.)

Same with Nurses and Police with Train Drivers - basic pay is compared, but the unsocial hours pay for Police and Nurses, that train drivers don't get, isn't mentioned.
Neither is it made clear that Nurses and Police can climb pay grades with length of service and experience, but train drivers don't.

I couldn’t agree more. One newspaper in particular!

WizCastro197

Established Member

Yes I probably should’ve known when I read the title as it did further explain that to achieve this salary one must work Sundays and overtime I believe. I will try and link it

Oof. I had forgotten it was daily mail. I understand now! Not very honest!!

Established Member
Yes I probably should’ve known when I read the title as it did further explain that to achieve this salary one must work Sundays and overtime I believe. I will try and link it

Oof. I had forgotten it was daily mail. I understand now! Not very honest!!

Yep, that’s the one! :D

Quin79

Many thanks for this, Quin79.

Do you have any idea what sort of time scale between each stage please?
In other words, how many weeks/months the trainee would be on pre-rules money and then on Post rules money?

Thank you in advance
Trainee Driver (Pre-Rules) - £31,382 plus £2056 London weighting. On this salary for approx 3 months.

Trainee Driver (Post Rules) - £42,326 plus £2056 London weighting. On this salary until you pass your Final Competency assessment (ICA) - when you are ready, but expect a minimum of 225 driving hours with a Driving Instructor. Don't rush as you only get 2 attempts, and if you fail twice it's game over.

1st Year Driver - £59,084 plus £2056 London Weighting after passing ICA

Driver - £63,294 plus £2056 London Weighting

198ksw

Trainee Driver (Pre-Rules) - £31,382 plus £2056 London weighting. On this salary for approx 3 months.

Trainee Driver (Post Rules) - £42,326 plus £2056 London weighting. On this salary until you pass your Final Competency assessment (ICA) - when you are ready, but expect a minimum of 225 driving hours with a Driving Instructor. Don't rush as you only get 2 attempts, and if you fail twice it's game over.

1st Year Driver - £59,084 plus £2056 London Weighting after passing ICA

Driver - £63,294 plus £2056 London Weighting
Thanks for this Quin79.

You are with Southern are you not?

How are you finding the training?
Are you out of the classroom yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.