• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spa Valley Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

elakenn628

Can anyone tell me if the Spar Valley has a run round at Eridge or do all trains have to be top and tailed I ask as my wife and I are coming down from Inverness and hope to see as many preservation as we can.

Ken

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PinzaC55

See the thread "The Eridge Executioner Friday 24th June 37254 & 33063! " further down this page.

robvulpes

For a more direct answer - No. At present there is a dead-end siding using the other face of the SVR island platform at the London end of the SVR Eridge station. When I was there on Easter Monday, the first train arrived top-and-tailed and once it had departed again towards Tunbridge Wells, it stopped just outside the station and the country-end loco came off and went into the siding to await the next arrival (when it 'topped' the return train, and the back loco came off etc. etc.).

Talking to the guy in the SVR booking office, he said they hoped to reinstall the rest of the loop line this winter. However, the pedestrian access from the Network Rail passenger car park gets in the way. The guy said there was a possibility of moving the 'drawbridge' from Brockenhurst. Don't hold your breath!

Rob

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
For a more direct answer - No. At present there is a dead-end siding using the other face of the SVR island platform at the London end of the SVR Eridge station. When I was there on Easter Monday, the first train arrived top-and-tailed and once it had departed again towards Tunbridge Wells, it stopped just outside the station and the country-end loco came off and went into the siding to await the next arrival (when it 'topped' the return train, and the back loco came off etc. etc.).

Talking to the guy in the SVR booking office, he said they hoped to reinstall the rest of the loop line this winter. However, the pedestrian access from the Network Rail passenger car park gets in the way. The guy said there was a possibility of moving the 'drawbridge' from Brockenhurst. Don't hold your breath!

Rob

I was there yesterday and the movements you said you saw on Easter Monday was being carried out again, so it looks like that's how they do things there at the moment, it all seemed to work very well, I had a great time there, good connections from/to the Southern mainline trains too.

The NYMR do a more longwinded movement at Whitby as they don't have a loop there either, sometimes they do top and tail from Grosmont which does speed things up somewhat. Rgds.

Status
Not open for further replies.