• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Bungle73

On Moderation
Just noticed that Southern 6.06% discount on TopCashback is over :( Hopefully not forever.

Oh ffs. And I needed to book a ticket for this Friday. The RSH offer has finished too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quidco are still offering 2% on RSH purchases. They take a cut of your cashback though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Just noticed that Southern 6.06% discount on TopCashback is over :( Hopefully not forever.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Well, I say that, but then I've been making my bookings at the station for a while now, because of a backlog of vouchers. I'd rather have debits for £1.50 in my account than wait for months to get about the same amount back! Would be very useful if vouchers could be used online...

Note that Virgin and Northern are still offering 2% at TCB, rather than Quidco, TransPennine Express (4.5%), and SoutWest Trains (2.6%) would be better if they didn't limit it to their own tickets! Not even sure what EMT are on at...

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Oh ffs. And I needed to book a ticket for this Friday. The RSH offer has finished too.
Quidco are still offering 2% on RSH purchases. They take a cut of your cashback though.

Talking of RSH it's been a while since they had a £10 voucher giveaway in conjunction with a national newspaper. Anyone know if there's anything in the pipeline?

pemma

Veteran Member
Not even sure what EMT are on at...

2.52% on EMT journey
1.01% on non-EMT journey
1.76% on mixed journey
Talking of RSH it's been a while since they had a £10 voucher giveaway in conjunction with a national newspaper. Anyone know if there's anything in the pipeline?

AFAIK no paper or other party has announced an upcoming RSH promotion.

There might still be promotions planned though. MSE promotions, for instance, are normally announced the day they go live.

Starmill

Veteran Member
£8 off a Family & Friends Railcard, so £20 for a year instead of £28, until 3 March when booking online with promotional code SAVING8.
http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/saving/

Hmm, does anyone know if Fam Railcards bought online the last time can be renewed from the day after they expire? Even if we pay for it now using this promotion? It expires some time in June, but it would negate the saving to have them send us a new one with a start date of 3 March!!

Thanks.

tony_mac

Established Member
Hmm, does anyone know if Fam Railcards bought online the last time can be renewed from the day after they expire? Even if we pay for it now using this promotion? It expires some time in June, but it would negate the saving to have them send us a new one with a start date of 3 March!!

Thanks.

Isn't the Daily Mail offer usually in June & July?
It might be worth waiting in the hope that they repeat it. (June & July free, then 1/2 price for the next year - it has been running in one form or another since at least 2007, I think)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Isn't the Daily Mail offer usually in June & July?
It might be worth waiting in the hope that they repeat it. (June & July free, then 1/2 price for the next year - it has been running in one form or another since at least 2007, I think)

That sounds wonderfull... but I'm not sure I could stomach the purchase of one of those. Even if there was a profit in it for me, I'd have to go to a paper shop where I'll never see the cashier again!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
That sounds wonderfull... but I'm not sure I could stomach the purchase of one of those. Even if there was a profit in it for me, I'd have to go to a paper shop where I'll never see the cashier again!

The required codes usually end up online. No need to sacrifice your principles ;)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
In theory you can get a £9.50 RSH voucher today if you go to https://www.media-promotions2.com/redspottedhanky/ and enter the codes RAIL, VISIT and BREAK. I've just done that (despite the page having a Sun logo on it <() and got a code but it won't redeem.

The answer to that is keep trying, just been on the phone to RSH and there seems to be an inconsistency between the two sites. RSH says it's been redeemed already but if you keep trying it it will eventually accept it. Supposedly.

snail

Established Member
Same here. First time I entered it I was told to complete the boxes fully. Second time I was told the voucher had already been redeemed...

Bungle73

On Moderation
I got it to accept my code, but it says "Expiry Sun, Mar 31st 2013 Remaining balance: £0.00". So what does that mean?

Chouette

I got it to accept my code, but it says "Expiry Sun, Mar 31st 2013 Remaining balance: £0.00". So what does that mean?
It accepted my code, but didn't give me a voucher, and now says it's already been claimed... hmmm

paulypaul

I spoke to a very nice man at Red Spotted Hanky customer service on 0800 377 7748, who explained that they had had a lot of issues with the 25 digit voucher codes today, due to unprecimented demand. If you received an error message or nothing at all when entering the voucher code number, keep on trying again and again, some people had reported that the code had worked on the 5th or 6th attempt. Their IT dept doesn't work on a sunday, but they had raised a problem record.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I spoke to a very nice man at Red Spotted Hanky customer service on 0800 377 7748, who explained that they had had a lot of issues with the 25 digit voucher codes today, due to unprecimented demand. If you received an error message or nothing at all when entering the voucher code number, keep on trying again and again, some people had reported that the code had worked on the 5th or 6th attempt. Their IT dept doesn't work on a sunday, but they had raised a problem record.

I don't know if I can be bothered tbh. Why one cannot just copy and paste the code into a box I don't know. It's such a palaver to do it once, never mind multiple times.

bnm

Established Member
Phoning RSH Customer Services to complain about a problem with a voucher code when the offer doesn't even go live until The Sun print the final password tomorrow?

Why not wait until tomorrow? Just because the details of the offer are being bandied around the internet today is hardly justification for moaning to Customer Services about problems activating the offer.

snail

Established Member
This is an email I got from RSH:
RSH Customer Services said:
Due to the amount of e-vouchers that have been claimed the website is receiving a high volume of traffic. It may take a number of attempts before the code converts into an e-voucher, please keep trying.

Once the code has been entered and claimed successfully it can take up to 48 hours for the e-voucher to be credited to your account. In some cases the e-voucher has appeared instantly but this will not always be the case.

So if the site is saying the voucher has already been claimed hopefully it will show up within 48 hours.

Bungle73

On Moderation
This is an email I got from RSH:

So if the site is saying the voucher has already been claimed hopefully it will show up within 48 hours.
Thanks. Looks like I'm set then. I must have had close to, or even over, £100 worth of vouchers from RSH! :lol:

snail

Established Member
Why not wait until tomorrow? Just because the details of the offer are being bandied around the internet today is hardly justification for moaning to Customer Services about problems activating the offer.
See the post above :D

bnm

Established Member
All 30000 vouchers have apparently already been claimed.

I can see some complaints heading toward Wapping in the coming days!

All those The Sun readers waiting on the final 'password' tomorrow, beaten to the offer by the massed ranks of rail enthusiasts and moneysavingexpert subscribers!

i can see trouble at the mill over this.

This has been a big cock up by the Sun and also RSH as they should have not let the website go live till today when people had got the 3rd code.

i do feel sorry for all the readers who will try to add there codes to find out that they have all gone.

pemma

Veteran Member
Phoning RSH Customer Services to complain about a problem with a voucher code when the offer doesn't even go live until The Sun print the final password tomorrow?

According to the T&Cs you can claim once you have three valid codes.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/article4757390.ece

lyesbkz

I'm not sure what was wrong with the old-fashioned way of entering a non-unique code into a special box on the Personal Details page and leaving it there, then receiving a voucher automatically 48 hours later.

It certainly prevented a lot of abuse of the offer in terms of people selfishly claiming obscene amounts of vouchers for themselves!

Bungle73

On Moderation
It certainly prevented a lot of abuse of the offer in terms of people selfishly claiming obscene amounts of vouchers for themselves!
Who was that? As far as I can tell it's one voucher per person.

lyesbkz

Who was that? As far as I can tell it's one voucher per person.

I've read on a few websites (not this one!) accounts of people claiming lots of vouchers and managing to redeem them all on the same RSH account for themselves. And RSH has allowed them to enter the codes into the same account and use them (which is a bit daft really!)

Cletus

Established Member
I've read on a few websites (not this one!) accounts of people claiming lots of vouchers and managing to redeem them all on the same RSH account for themselves. And RSH has allowed them to enter the codes into the same account and use them (which is a bit daft really!)

I claimed vouchers on my home & two work emails. Then i registered one RSH account. I was able to claim two of the codes, but one said already claimed.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
All 30000 vouchers have apparently already been claimed.

I can see some complaints heading toward Wapping in the coming days!

All those The Sun readers waiting on the final 'password' tomorrow, beaten to the offer by the massed ranks of rail enthusiasts and moneysavingexpert subscribers!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/4757372/950-Off-Train-Travel.html

"Due to due high demand, our £9.50 off train tickets offer with redspottedhanky.com is no longer available. Unfortunately, all 30,000 unique codes, plus an additional 9000 have now all been issued. Therefore we will not be printing any further codewords in The Sun, as customers will not be able to participate. We apologise for any inconvenience or disappointment. "

What a cock up - the promotion was supposed to run until 2nd February!